Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

OT: Blockbuster to end late fees, but ...

... of course there's a catch.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...ockbuster.html

DALLAS — Blockbuster Inc. is eliminating late fees, a move that affects both its customers and its 2005 outlook.

Instead of fees, Blockbuster will grant customers a one-week grace period at no charge. After that, the company will automatically sell customers the product, less the rental fee, if they still want to keep the item.

If shoppers change their mind and want to return the item they may do so within 30 days for account credit, minus a restocking fee.

In a press release Tuesday, the entertainment-rental company said it expects operating income for 2005 will be flat with full-year 2004, before $50 million in costs related to the late-fee plan, as softness in the rental sector continues.

So ... whaddya think?

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:26 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good idea for them. I saw Young Guns 2 for sale there last month, for 29.95
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:26 AM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think folks are going to be buying a lot more DVDs from Blockbuster next year.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
I think folks are going to be buying a lot more DVDs from Blockbuster next year.
Yup...just on pure laziness/convenience.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:38 AM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Their rental rates are obscene. I knew some people that would rent like 40 or 50 bucks worth of movies a month, i tried to talk them into netflix, since it just makes a lot more sense.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #6
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Their rental rates are obscene. I knew some people that would rent like 40 or 50 bucks worth of movies a month, i tried to talk them into netflix, since it just makes a lot more sense.

Well, they are insane to do that, even if they would rather go pick movies up on demand rather than wait through the mail. Blockbuster offers a similar service to netflix, just for a few dollars more per month.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:39 AM   #7
KevinNU7
College Starter

I hate blockbuster
Old 12-14-2004, 09:31 AM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Well, they are insane to do that, even if they would rather go pick movies up on demand rather than wait through the mail. Blockbuster offers a similar service to netflix, just for a few dollars more per month.

We use this service and rather like it. In addition to the netflix system that we get to take advantage of, we get 2 or 3 coupons for a free in-store rental every month.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
We use this service and rather like it. In addition to the netflix system that we get to take advantage of, we get 2 or 3 coupons for a free in-store rental every month.

Sure, I was just pointing out that anyone who pays $40-$50 a month on rental fees at Blockbuster is really, really, really bad at math.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 AM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Sure, I was just pointing out that anyone who pays $40-$50 a month on rental fees at Blockbuster is really, really, really bad at math.

oh, definitely. Just a random comment on blockbuster's monthly service. I feel dirty even making it, I hate blockbuster... but it's a damn fine service.

If nothing else, this new policy will make the due dates on the movies a much bigger issue, no more "oh, oops, we forgot, oh well, we'll deal with it later"
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Our local grocery store has $1 rentals for any movie or DVD on Mondays. Woo

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:37 PM   #12
Celeval
Pro Starter

I'm currently watching the Star Wars DVDs that we got out of the library. Woot :-D
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:43 PM   #13
bbor
Pro Starter

Movie rentals may be expensive....but going to a movie is way more so..

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #14
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Movie rentals may be expensive....but going to a movie is way more so..

maybe not as much as you think. 6.50 for a movie ticket here, over 6 dollars(not sure the exact amount) to rent a movie at our only local rental place.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:15 PM   #15
bbor
Pro Starter

we have rentals for 6 bux.....but it costs us $11-$13 to go see a movie.......and then there is the snack counter to deal with.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #16
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
we have rentals for 6 bux.....but it costs us $11-$13 to go see a movie.......and then there is the snack counter to deal with.

bring your own snacks in, cheaper that way
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #17
gstelmack
Pro Starter

$10 - $20 to actually BUY most DVDs so you can watch them whenever and wherever you want.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:34 PM   #18
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I am very happy with the Blockbuster netflix style service. I'm getting a very good turn around on the DVDs I request, and because of the service, I am cancelling all of my premium movie channels we're getting through Direct TV. I think the new service rocks.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 12-14-2004 at 07:21 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #19
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I am very happy with the Blockbuster netflix service. I'm getting a very good turn around on the DVDs I request, and because of the service, I am cancelling all of my premium movie channels we're getting through Direct TV. I think the new service rocks.

i didnt know blockbuster owns Netflix?

or you meant you subscribe to both blockbuster and netflix service?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:20 PM   #20
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i didnt know blockbuster owns Netflix?

or you meant you subscribe to both blockbuster and netflix service?

I'm sorry I should have said Blockbuster's Netflix like service.
I pay a monthly fee, and they ship the DVDs my family requests to and from my mailbox.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #21
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i like Netflix..its awesome ..i am in california and the deliverly is always 2 days for them to receive my dvd back or for them to deliver it to me..

i think it worth it than renting from a video store..
Old 12-14-2004, 07:32 PM   #22
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I pay $16 a month for unlimited (well 2 videos a day with a full time job is basically unlimited) DVD rental from Blockbuster. Is this not available everywhere? I have to say that this blows Netflix away as I can rent whatever I want basically any day of the week.

It is also a genius move on their part I should add. How many videos were they really renting Monday-Thursday? And how many suckers like me are shelling out $16 a month and renting a bunch of videos that would have just sat of their shelf anyways. But why all of the hate for Blockbuster? Do we miss the mom and pop store that would have 2 copies of each video that were always rented out? Not sure how Blockbuster became the spawn of all evil.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:49 PM   #23
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Netflix and gamefly are such a better deal.
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:50 PM   #24
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

BTW, gamefly is the basically the same as Netflix, only you only rent videogames. For those of you who don't know.
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:13 AM   #25
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Not sure how Blockbuster became the spawn of all evil.

Before going to law school I managed a Hollywood Video store and most of the complaints I heard about Blockbuster had to do with their attitude towards customers. They have become so big that they (at least used to) have some very non-customer friendly policies.

For example, my store's #1 customer (by rental $s spent--including "additional rental fees" [late fees]) spent more than $4,000 the first year that he came to my store. He stopped going to the Blockbuster two blocks from his house, and started driving to my store 15 minutes away, because they sent him to collections for less than a dollar worth of late fees that he hadn't paid.

At the time Blockbuster had a very aggressive collections policy and it was a reflection on how much of the market they controlled.

Currently I can't stand either BB or HW and subscribe to Netflix. BB because they cost so much and HW because I'm a disgruntled ex-employee (even though they treated me okay I hated the way they treated some of my friends in the company).
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:40 PM   #26
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly

For example, my store's #1 customer (by rental $s spent--including "additional rental fees" [late fees]) spent more than $4,000 the first year that he came to my store. He stopped going to the Blockbuster two blocks from his house, and started driving to my store 15 minutes away, because they sent him to collections for less than a dollar worth of late fees that he hadn't paid.

At the time Blockbuster had a very aggressive collections policy and it was a reflection on how much of the market they controlled.

Amen. I stopped going to Block Buster when I had someone calling my work over less then $2. They got their $1.64 or whatever it was, but lost a customer for life.
SoxWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:52 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
Before going to law school I managed a Hollywood Video store and most of the complaints I heard about Blockbuster had to do with their attitude towards customers. They have become so big that they (at least used to) have some very non-customer friendly policies.

Currently I can't stand either BB or HW and subscribe to Netflix. BB because they cost so much and HW because I'm a disgruntled ex-employee (even though they treated me okay I hated the way they treated some of my friends in the company).

Some dude spent 4000 dollars on renting videos a year? Holy shit, thats like 3 movies a day or something. Was he renting for a hotel or something?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:45 PM   #28
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Some dude spent 4000 dollars on renting videos a year? Holy shit, thats like 3 movies a day or something. Was he renting for a hotel or something?

He had a son that had some problems (I'm not sure if they were physical/mental or both). From what I understood he would work all day, and then stop by the store on the way home and pick up movies for him and his boy. They'd watch them, and then stop by the next day. They also rented video games.

At the time we had a limit that people could only check out 4 movies at a time, but when someone is spending that type of money at your store you break the rules for them. I'd have corporate calling me asking why I'd checked out 5 new releases and 4 new games to a customer at once. I'd tell them to check his account and one look at his rental history usually cleared up the questions for awhile.

My #2 customer ran an RV park and she would check out a bunch of movies to play at the office. She only rented about $2500 per year.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #29
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

off topic, but similar to what Mgadfly wrote, when I worked at a Black Angus restaurant while in college, we had a customer who came in 4 to 8 times per week to eat and maybe once per week to drink in the bar. He was a nice guy who usually ate alone. We gave him the royal treatment when he came in.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote