Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2003, 02:15 AM   #1
Vince
Pro Starter

Hattrick ideas...

Sorry to start a whole new thread, but I didn't want to threadjack anyone...

Anyhow, my team is starting to make some sense to me, I'm just wondering if some of you "vets" could let me know if my assessments are ridiculously off target...

Looking over my team, I have more than a couple scrubs, and then a couple of guys who seem to me to be really good. Here's a couple of guys that I have decided are worthless and will be cut:

Claud Gil
26 yo
Form: Weak
Stamina: Weak
Playmaking: Poor
Winger: Poor
Scoring: Wretched
Goaltending: Wretched
Passing: Poor
Defending: Wretched
Set Pieces: Passable

My impression: This guy is absolute trash...other than the Passable in set pieces (which from my limited experience is the most worthless rating), he isn't better than poor in anything, and he's already 26. He's assessed at 1,000 US$, and I don't know the Transfer wire well, but I don't think that I'll get anything for him, so I think I'll just cut him.

Brad Rodriguez
24 yo
Stamina: Poor
Playmaking: Disastrous
Winger: Passable
Scoring: Poor
Goaltending: Disastrous
Passing: Wretched
Defending: Poor
Set Pieces: Inadequate

My Impression: Another largely worthless player...though only 24, nothing better than poor in defending, scoring or passing, so he probably won't amount to much...at an assessed value of 6,000 US$ do you think it's even worth it to try to sell him?

Now some of my good guys:
Jeff Gooden
23 yo
Form: Passable
Playmaking: Inadequate
Scoring: Passable
Passing: Passable
Defending: Inadequate
Set Pieces: Weak

My Impression: He's the best player on my team, and only 23...While I'm not sure what I'm going to train first off (seems like Middies is the way to go...), he seems like he'd be a solid forward for my team even at his current ratings.

William Martinez
21 yo
Stamina: Passable
Scoring: Weak
Set Pieces: Wretched

My Impression: From what I know so far (again, that's not much), this guy is going to be a pretty solid Inner Midfielder for me. His solid leadership abilities are a nice bonus, too.

So basically, I'm just wondering if these are fairly accurate assessments of these players, and if you guys would do anything different. Reading up on the countless threads on this stuff is helping a ton, but I still feel like I'm in way over my head. I want to learn this all myself, but I want to know if I'm headed in the right direction. Thanks in advance guys
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:23 AM   #2
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

You're right. You won't get a dime for the first two guys. If you don't have a full 'B' team, keep them around though. Don't want to play a starter in a friendly, and have them get hurt.

A suggestion though. If you do decide to train IM's, your kid, Martinez, will mostly serve as a stop gap. You'll want to buy a few 17-18yr old passable playmakers, and train them up. If you're already in economic straights, get inadequates that look to have a high value compared to other IM's with similar stats. Could mean they are a 'high' inadequate, and ready to roll up to passable with a week or two of training.

Wouldn't surprise me, if after you trained up your passable IM's, that I'm sure you'll buy, that you'll move Martinez out to the wing, and set him to play offensive or, if he's been trained up to passable playmaking, towards the middle. (wow, nice run on sentence
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:56 AM   #3
Vince
Pro Starter

Thanks for the help...as a side note, since my only keeper was weak, I bought one, how does 11,000 for a 18yo inadequate keeper sound?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 03:25 AM   #4
Alf
Pro Starter

11K for an inadequate keeper is a good price (they usually sell around 20K)
Old 03-03-2003, 03:40 AM   #5
astralhaze
College Prospect

Re: Hattrick ideas...

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince

Claud Gil
26 yo
Stamina: Weak
Playmaking: Poor
Winger: Poor
Scoring: Wretched
Goaltending: Wretched
Passing: Poor
Set Pieces: Passable

My impression: This guy is absolute trash...other than the Passable in set pieces (which from my limited experience is the most worthless rating), he isn't better than poor in anything, and he's already 26. He's assessed at 1,000 US$, and I don't know the Transfer wire well, but I don't think that I'll get anything for him, so I think I'll just cut him.

Won't get a penny for him. Cut him.

Quote:

Brad Rodriguez
24 yo
Playmaking: Disastrous
Scoring: Poor
Passing: Wretched
Defending: Poor
Set Pieces: Inadequate

My Impression: Another largely worthless player...though only 24, nothing better than poor in defending, scoring or passing, so he probably won't amount to much...at an assessed value of 6,000 US$ do you think it's even worth it to try to sell him?

Same as above. Cut him.

Quote:

Jeff Gooden
23 yo
Scoring: Passable
Defending: Inadequate
Set Pieces: Weak

My Impression: He's the best player on my team, and only 23...While I'm not sure what I'm going to train first off (seems like Middies is the way to go...), he seems like he'd be a solid forward for my team even at his current ratings.

Should be a very good winger for you. I would start training stamina though, if you haven't already. This makes a huge difference in the second half of games.

Quote:

William Martinez
21 yo
Stamina: Passable
Scoring: Weak
Set Pieces: Wretched

My Impression: From what I know so far (again, that's not much), this guy is going to be a pretty solid Inner Midfielder for me. His solid leadership abilities are a nice bonus, too.

Looks like he will be a decent player, although he is certainly upgradeable. Never used this term in reference to soccer before, but he is kind of a tweener. His passing and winger rating fits winger, but his weak scoring does not. By the same token, his passing would be good for the inner midfield, but his playmaking is just inadequate and his defense is wretched. All in all, a nice player to have around, but I wouldn't build a team around him by any means.
astralhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:42 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Brad Rodriguez
Same as above. Cut him.

Maybe it's my hattrick transfer optimist speaking, but I figure you can get a few bucks for anyone with passable in a key area (def, play, scor, wing). I'd at least put him out for $1K and see if anyone bites. As long as you set him out to post during peak times (early afternoon, I think), I bet you'll get a grand or two for him which is better than nothing.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 10:31 AM   #7
NevStar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Maybe it's my hattrick transfer optimist speaking, but I figure you can get a few bucks for anyone with passable in a key area (def, play, scor, wing). I'd at least put him out for $1K and see if anyone bites. As long as you set him out to post during peak times (early afternoon, I think), I bet you'll get a grand or two for him which is better than nothing.

SI

I agree. If no one bites, he's at least a serviceable backup winger.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:12 PM   #8
vex
Grizzled Veteran

He would be a starter on my team
vex is offline   Reply With Quote