Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2004, 04:01 PM   #1
aquatix
Mascot

EQ vs EQII vs WoW

Trying to decide which to play. Which is best? Or is there another one out there that's better?

aquatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #2
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You may want to read this.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I have to review (for GameNikki) the Ultimate Everquest I package that just arrived today.. so I'll let you know what I think of it (being a CoH junkie, it should be interesting)
Old 12-03-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
Calis
College Starter

I would heartily heartily recommend NOT playing EQ1...despised that game, and I'm guessing it's only got worse as the years have passed on.

Haven't played EQ2 yet(or plan to), so can't comment much on that but I love WoW and it would get my vote.

There's a breed that likes EQ2 more though, God help them. so I dunno, depends on what you're looking for.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:35 PM   #5
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Hey SirFozzie, I'd recommend playing on the Stromm server, you'll have the best chance of finding low level players to play with. I really enjoy EQ1 at this time, it has REALLY improved over the years. Calis, I would have to say it is probably a completely different game than the one you played.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:29 AM   #6
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I highly recommend Wow. its just a better game.. and it doesn't heavily penalize you for dying.. or for that matter.. the idiot actions of your groupmates dying.. like eq2 does..

If you are just now getting into eq.. eq1 would be a horrible choice as well..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:02 AM   #7
Danny
Head Coach

WoW is my first MMORPG and I have to recommend it for players new to the genre. I was reluctant to try and get into any of the other MMORPG's from the past as I heard it was simply a hack fest of slaying the same monsters over and over to gain levels. Deep down WoW does the same, but it doesn't make it seem that way. I am level 26 and have not been slaying any monsters that weren't in some way part of completing a quest. WoW is definitely beginner friendly. I didn't find it at all challenging to jump in and get started and it only took two days or so to really get comfortable. That said, I have been avid player of Warcraft 1,2 and 3, so I was familiar with the game world. There are certainly some things I wish were included in the game (many of which will likely be added in patches or expansion packs), but what is in there, works very well.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:06 AM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

EQ2 is a great game and I have been having a great time playing it. Generally very newbie friendly, lots of stuff to do, great crafting system, fun combat, etc. IMO the "death penalty" has been blown way out of proportion, it's really the easiest system I've ever seen, debt is minor even compared to City of Heroes.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:11 AM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I was a big EQ player at one time (though I was never as hardcore as some of the people who played). Got a cleric and a mage to level 65 (which was the max at one time), officer in a guild, etc., and then just began to burn out as the game REQUIRED 8+ hour long raids to advance.

We then dropped EQ and began playing CoH. CoH was a refreshing change as it was not the timesink that EQ was and was a heck of a lot of fun to play - at first. After a while, it just didn't sem to have the depth necessary to keep my interest.

When EQ2 came along, my wife and I bought that. We like it (so far), as they fixed some of the issues that people didn't like in the original Everquest. One thing going against it - you DO need a really good PC in order to play it right (3 or more GHz, 1 GB RAM, and 128MB or more on your graphics card) - I'm in the midst of upgrading my wife's PC right now because of low frame rates in certain areas.

I've heard a lot of great things about WoW including some really good review though I have never played it myself. It's my understanding that the PC requirements are much lower than EQ2. I've also talked to some people who played it, and they referred to it as "EQ Lite". Therefore, my concern would be it has the same gameplay like CoH has - very little downtime, very low death penalty and lack of depth.

Interestingly, a lot of people would consider what I just mentioned as features. Downtime was certainly an issue in EQ, though it's not in EQ2 (though I guess everything is relative). I, however, think there should be "some" death penalty. In EQ2 if someone in your group dies, everyone shares in the experience debt - in EQ1 the person who died was the sole "benefactor" of this debt. Having the group share in this debt makes everyone look out for each other more, but it is a detriment when there's some kind of rogue member doing his own thing. I really don't have that problem as a play with some friends. Also - if there isn't a penalty, you're basically playing a game that doesn't reward good gameplay.

In EQ1 it was so much fun when playing in a group that knew how to play the game, their roles and responsibilities. It seems that the gamemakers have dumbed down all games since EQ1. That makes the game more accessible, but it also seems to have made these games require a lot less strategy and thought during confrontations. I'm not sure that's for the better.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:26 AM   #10
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Therefore, my concern would be it has the same gameplay like CoH has - very little downtime, very low death penalty and lack of depth.

The death penalty is low, but I like the way WoW handles this. Also, there has been quite a bit of downtime for some servers. Most have been very good, including mine, but select ones have had issues.

My favorite thing about WoW is that it feels like I am leveling to get new more advanced quests, travel to new lands, learn new abilities, etc instead of playing the game to level.

Depth I can't officially comment on yet with only a week or so of play, but so far so good.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:23 AM   #11
CraigSca
Pro Starter

When I was referring to downtime, I didn't really mean the server (though in that respect EQ2 has done very well from launch) I meant downtime between fights. In EQ1 there was often a great deal of time spent on mana regeneration between fights so the casters would be able to take part. That's not really the case in EQ2.
how do you know?

Old 12-04-2004, 07:28 AM   #12
Danny
Head Coach

Ah, WoW doesn't have a whole lot of down time. Depends on your party grouping, but you can move through instances without a whole lot of downtime.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:06 AM   #13
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Therefore, my concern would be it has the same gameplay like CoH has - very little downtime, very low death penalty and lack of depth.

I have not played WoW long enough to comment on its depth, but I will say this, it does have what most of EQ's challengers have lacked - a well defined, interesting game world.

I would like to point out though that depth, downtime and low death penalty are separate elements. Having low downtime and death penalty does not preclude a game from being deep to hold interest for a while.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:20 AM   #14
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I agree, completely Samdari - they are all mutually exclusive. I'm just relaying what I heard from a beta tester.

I'll probably cave myself and buy it eventually...who knows. I'd like to play the best product that's thoroughly engrossing for me. I've never had an experience like EQ in another game - I'm hoping I either find it again or realize that maybe I've changed and just can't enjoy a game like that anymore.
how do you know?

Old 12-04-2004, 11:59 AM   #15
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I want to mention that EQ2 high system requirement is because the programers thought ahead. They didn't want to get stuck like they did with EQ having outdated graphic throughout the whole lifecycle of the game. This game is programmed for video cards that aren't even on the market yet. There is not a system made that should run the top graphical set-up well, but a decent sytem should get good graphics. I have the settings down pretty low and the game still looks fantastic.

I think depth is the issue that I worry about WOW. People are leveling so fast that I can't believe the game is going offer much for those players in a few months. EQ2 strikes me as being planned for the long run. Leveling is faster than EQ, but from what I heard the cap on levels may be in the triple digits.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote