Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2003, 04:58 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

As a GM, for what NFL position would you overpay?

I thought about doing this as a poll, but haven't we all suffered enough?

Seriously, though, as free agency hits in the NFL, I'm wondering what position other FOFCers think most warrants overpaying. By that I mean which position merits free agency offers above basic player talent/value due to its importance. I realize this varies from year to year due to player availability, but answer it just as a general rule.

I'm leaning toward cornerback. It just seems like quality corners are too hard to come by, and in some ways they either "have it" or they don't.

Thoughts?

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:59 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Punters, baby! It's all about the punters!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Punters, baby! It's all about the punters!

Speaking to you as an alien, can you imagine punting on a planet with lower gravity? Like the punt goes up a 1/2 mile? I already think punt returner is the worst job in football, but DAMN!

Last edited by WSUCougar : 02-27-2003 at 05:03 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 05:14 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Well I wouldn't overpay for anything. I think overpaying for any one person is what kills most teams.

Clearly quarterback is the single most important player to any team, but aside from that I think I'd agree that cornerback is a very important position. Great ones take the opponent's best reciever out of the game.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 05:26 PM   #5
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'd overpay the coach. Seems like if you get a good one, he can make the most out of guys playing at minimum.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
Speaking to you as an alien, can you imagine punting on a planet with lower gravity? Like the punt goes up a 1/2 mile? I already think punt returner is the worst job in football, but DAMN!

We've got some deep thinkers here at FOFC, yes indeed.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 05:33 PM   #7
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I would definitely overpay the coach.

but, that wasn't one of the options, so I'll say QB.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:43 PM   #8
Hyde
n00b

If I owned a team I would offer the exact amount of $1 in bonus money for the players on the squad. Whoever produced would then divide all of the busloads of money that was left and the rest would be beheaded.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 05:44 PM   #9
kid_dynamite
Mascot

i wouldnt overpay anyone but the coach...a team made up of a star CB and less players around him wont stop anyone. a corner can only cover a person so long, no pash rush and eventually he is open. a team made up of a great QB with no offensive line gets crushed and cant show his talents anyways. so dont overpay for anyone and hit every position and you should be in business.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:45 PM   #10
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

In real life, I think center is the most underpaid and underrated. They are the least paid on the O Line and they are usually the captains and signal callers of the line. All great O lines of history have great centers. Think of your great Hall of Fame O lineman of all time (Jim Otto, Mike Webster, Jim Langer, etc) and they frequently are centers. Yet when was the last time a center was a first round draft pick? I'd be willing to overpay for a great center.

As far as FOF4 is concerned, safety. In my experience safeties are the big play makers on D. For their relatively cheap salary they pay off big time. Yeah, I'd pay more than the market will bear for a great one.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:49 PM   #11
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

I'd overpay my O-line. Given enough time anyone will eventually get open and a bad QB will be able to hit him with a pass. Given a good enough line anyback will look like a superstar. But you also need five good guys so if it meant paying a good but not great player superstar money to sure up a major hole on my line id do it.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 08:12 PM   #12
tucker342
Pro Starter

I wouldn't overpay for any position, but the most important position, is probably QB, or maybe RB
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 09:33 PM   #13
mckerney
Coordinator

A good blocking TE. Blocking TEs usually don't demand a really high salary, and they can be key in the running game, so it wouldn't hurt too bad to overpay there.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:42 PM   #14
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
D. Woody for NE was a first round pick a few years ago. A first round pick and he can't shotgun snap.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:47 AM   #15
Hawaii Warrior
n00b

I'd definately overpay for a guy who can protect my quarterback's blind side

"The only way I will come back to the NFL is if the Lions hire June Jones as Head Coach..." -Barry Sanders

"When he threw the ball 38 straight times the other day, I said, 'That kid is my son,' " Mouse Davis said of June Jones.
Hawaii Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:45 AM   #16
AgPete
College Prospect

A great quarterback, not a decent quarterback. I wouldn't fork out millions for Elvis Grbac or Brian Griese but if someone like Manning, McNabb or Favre ever got loose, I'd pay them a large portion of my team's cap. Of course, wouldn't any team and that's why they're never available in free agency. (Except in FOF, LOL)

A position that might be open for free agency I'd pay a bundle for is a dominant defensive lineman, preferable a pass rushing menace. Reggie White was free. The Cowboys managed to trade for Charles Haley. Every once in a while, you can find a great defensive lineman.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:22 AM   #17
WebEwbank
High School JV

In FOF4 safety is key, also QB and RB and DL.

In the NFL, coach seems to be key, as does CB.

In college (where they do pay, really), tailback and DL are key.
WebEwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:37 PM   #18
JerseyShore
In The Penalty Box

I would overpay my O-line. Can't have my QB getting knocked around all game.
JerseyShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:41 PM   #19
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'd overpay for a bruising, blocking FB. He doesn't need to run the ball or even catch passes, just create holes for my RB.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:47 PM   #20
Anthony
Banned

I would overpay for RB. it seems you can win a Super Bowl with a 3rd round drafted QB (it's happened the past 4 years). but it seems that by and large most every great running back is selected in the 1st round. other than Terrell Davis (7th round, i believe) or any other Denver RB, it looks like you get more bang for your buck with a great RB.

and unless you're talking about Vick or McNabb, who can turn make do with less than stellar supporting casts, a QB is only as good as his WR's. a perfect pass means squat if a WR can't break away from a CB. but a great RB (Barry Sanders comes to mind) or even a very good one (LaDanian Tomlinson) can take a shitty team and make 'em competitive right off the bat.

Last edited by Anthony : 03-02-2003 at 01:49 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote