Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2003, 06:48 PM   #1
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Busting the salary cap in FOF4

I was just wondering if anyone out there uses the strategy of intentionally busting the salary cap and how that works out.

I am in the middle of year 9 of my Houston Oiliers (I hate that goofy Texans name) dynasty. My team is defending champs with most of the key players signed on for at least two more years. The team nets between $40-80 million annually. I also have several first and second round picks stocked for the next season.

The current league salary cap is $105 mil. I am currently about $4 mil under it, but my projected salary for the next season is about $106 mil. Like I said, I have several high draft picks coming up and would like to re-sign 4-5 key superstars to longer term deals. I am estimating if I do all that I will be around $20 mil over the cap next season.

With all those draft picks I can stomach losing a pick from busting the cap. Beyond that, are there any other consequences of busting the cap I need to consider? If the team is profitable, is there really any reason not to bust the salary cap?

Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
Pyser
Pro Rookie

not that i see. you just lose a 3rd round pick, usually, if you are over around the start of free agency. i've never been over after that, but i assume you lose a higher pick around draft time if you are over then...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

"Oiliers" represents an improvement over "Texans"? It sounds French, for God's sake!
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:56 PM   #4
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Yes, Oilers is gay, but not half as gay as Texans. At least Oilers has the Earl Campbell, Elvin Bethea tradtions. Oh, and how bout that really gay song they had on the 70's. What kind of tradition do the Texans have?

In my league Baltimore is the Colts and Houston has Oilers. I just like the NFL as it was when I was a kid in the 70's.

This is an FOF4 post, not a political one. I think too many people have France on the brain. Besides, after we nuke those Iraqi bastards the French will fall into line to obey their American masters, so why worry about it? Finally, how can any civilization who finds Jerry Lewis funny have any kind of credibility?
Old 02-28-2003, 07:58 PM   #5
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas

This is an FOF4 post, not a political one. I think too many people have France on the brain. Besides, after we nuke those Iraqi bastards the French will fall into line to obey their American masters, so why worry about it? Finally, how can any civilization who finds Jerry Lewis funny have any kind of credibility?

He wasn't saying Oilers is French - rather 'Oiliers' like you spelled it.

Sorry if that wasn't painfully obvious.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:02 PM   #6
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
He wasn't saying Oilers is French - rather 'Oiliers' like you spelled it.

Sorry if that wasn't painfully obvious.

I apologize, I am the master of typos. Anyway, I really would value a legit anser to my question. I am at game 11 of the seaon and will soon have to make those painful decisions. To bust the cap or not to bust.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:55 AM   #7
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
Besides, after we nuke those Iraqi bastards the French will fall into line to obey their American masters, so why worry about it? Finally, how can any civilization who finds Jerry Lewis funny have any kind of credibility?

1 - We find Jerry Lewis funny ?
didn't know that...
btw, he's an "American" so don't spit too much on your "owns"

2 - fuck you for you comment on "obey the American masters".
I can't stand to hear anymore of these. I might drop from the board if this continues.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 07:41 AM   #8
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Hey chill out Darkiller... I don't think there was any offense meant...
Old 03-01-2003, 09:03 PM   #9
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkiller
1 - We find Jerry Lewis funny ?
didn't know that...
btw, he's an "American" so don't spit too much on your "owns"

2 - fuck you for you comment on "obey the American masters".
I can't stand to hear anymore of these. I might drop from the board if this continues.

Wow, someone who didn't get the Jerry Lewis allusion. Frankly, I'm a bit taken aback. As for the other thing about American masters, my tongue was planted firmly in cheek, as it usually is. Sarcasm and irony are so hard to convey on these web boards. I am still looking for honest feedback on my question about salary caps in FOF4. I really had no intention to make this the least bit political. This is a sincere attempt to ask for strategy advice on FOF4. Jeeze, everyone is so touchy these days. And to think, I'm the one shipping out to fight this damn war this week.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:22 PM   #10
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

To get to the subject at hand, I think other than losing draft picks the only other thing that happens if you bust the cap is you cant sign any FA's. This could hurt if you suffer a rash of injuries.