Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2003, 06:47 PM   #1
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

My Bold (and perhaps impossible) attempt

I have decided to attempt something I have wanted to do for a long time.

The thing with sims is that you have the option and the desire to play multiple games in one sitting. You can play a whole year in minutes. This is great, but I thought I might try something new for me.

So, what with the release of OOTP5, I have decided to play a season in "real time". Whenever I have a game scheduled, I will play a game only on that day. (It may be simmed and take 3 seconds) but I won't play "ahead". I want to see if this takes me to a new level of immersion, planning, and plotting. I have remote access to my PC, so if I am out of town, I can always hop on, and go.

I was wondering if anybody else has done this or finds it enticing at all? (I would not be shocked if I am the lone fool here). I may even lose my compusure and play ahead, but I might have 2 solo leagues to help me avoid this.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 06:50 PM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

I've tried to do this with console baseball games (Akklaim's All Star Baseball 2002 most recently), but I always lose my composure and play ahead. Good luck!
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 06:51 PM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

You'll keep us posted?

Perhaps we can run a poll on how many days everyone thinks Senator will make it!

Put me down for 3 days.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 06:52 PM   #4
samifan24
Pro Starter

That's an interesting idea. I've often thought that I played my games too slowly and that because I only played several games a week, I lost interest more quickly. I am definately interested to see how this little endeavor turns out. Keep us posted.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:52 PM   #5
Senator

That seems a bit optimistic.

Whoops, did I spoil the spread.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 02-27-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I have tried this with football, but the problem lies in timing. Over the course of a live week, I'll watch tape of us and opponents, and have 10 hours of practice time with my kids. You don't quite get that in a football game. I guess I whet my appetite for football with practice, and the games always seem to come up too fast.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:14 PM   #7
mrushh
High School Varsity

I tried it with baseball (ea type). Got through 3 weeks before I went stark raving mad and went ahead. Ended up playing 4 or 5 seasons instead of one. I am not strong enough to do it.
I tried the baseball season patch stuck to my arm, but it apparently did not difuse it's contents fast enough.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:16 PM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Bucc does this now, only it takes him 3 real days to play 1 computer sim day.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:24 PM   #9
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
Bucc does this now, only it takes him 3 real days to play 1 computer sim day.

Who's Bucc?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:30 PM   #10
Travis
Pro Rookie

I did this once with World Series Baseball for the Genesis. Of course I think I played 30 years worth of whatever NFL game I had at the time just to keep myself from playing ahead in the baseball one though.

Of course, this was back when professional baseball could keep my attention for more than a weekend at a time, so it'll never happen again.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:40 PM   #11
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Senator - are you going to mirror play trades and lineups?
Old 02-28-2003, 06:28 AM   #12
Senator

Fritz,

I never thought of that. I think that doing that might be more legwork than I want to put into this "baby" project. But if I was a gamer like Skydog, it would have to be a given to do this. No, I think it is going to take all I have just to play it out schedule wise within the universe of the game.

Old 02-28-2003, 06:57 AM   #13
Jets80
High School Varsity

I'll will probably play 1 season each day.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:10 AM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I had a friend that had the composure to try that with OOTP4 last season. I don't have the will power. I haven;t tried it with OOTP, that may be different since I can have a game where I do that and one where I actually play more frequently. I tried it on the console but it got too easy to want to play another game and another, since that's not something as quick so I never knew if I would have time to play the next day. Plus when you're playing well and have time for more games it's hard to make yourself stop.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote