Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2003, 12:04 PM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

What, no Saddam Interview Thread?

Now I know more than a few FOFC'ers watched the Dan Rather, Saddam Hussein interview night.

Personally the whole idea of an American TV Network going to the home of and interviewing a stone cold killer and enemy of the United States is very disturbing, especially considering the fact that we are on the brink of war with this country.

What Dan Rather & CBS did last night is basically spit in the face of our men & women serving in the military who are currently in or are getting ready to leave for the Middle East, with this "crap" they televised last night.

Just when you think the media has bottomed out someone comes along and does something even more ridiculous. Does CBS want to kick President Bush and his staff out of office and take over themselves or what?

Shame on you CBS!

MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 12:12 PM   #2
heybrad
Norm!!!

Anything for ratings.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 12:23 PM   #3
ice4277
Pro Rookie

It is a pretty stupid thing to have done, but I'll bet they got amazing ratings for it.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I agree. CBS has the right to go over there and do whatever they want, but I believe that it was a bad policy choice to give a legitimate American forum to Hussein.

On the lighter side, combining several of the topics that have floated around here lately--instead of Saddam debating Bush on free TV, we should have Saddam debate Tyson on PPV (who wouldn't buy that) and use the proceeds to fund Bush's tax cut. Everybody wins!
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 12:40 PM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I found it a remarkably interesting thing to watch. A few comments:

> I wonder how the White House felt about CBS doing that

> None of what Saddam said changed how I feel about the situation

> Much of what Saddam said was wrapped in a palatable and highly-digestable tortilla of dictator-speak. I especially liked the remarks about his "elections." 99.6% and 100% - oh, it's a landslide for Saddam!!!

> Saddam's comments regarding the Gulf War were a riot. "We were not defeated." "We lost a battle but were not defeated." "The most equipment any unit lost was 10%." Uh-huh. On the plus side for CBS, showing the Apache gunship lighting up Iraqi forces right after Saddam's comments was rather clever.

> One thing that I took away from the interview was the sense that this man - however much an enemy and "evil" he is - really believes he is properly leading his country. Again, my position toward him did not change, but I must acknowledge to myself that the guy seems committed to Iraq. Ithink perhaps he is not as much the power-drunk maniac as he is the (very) misguided, self-annointed savior of his people. It's a fine line, I admit, and it's hard to see through the haze of religious rhetoric and typical dictator BS, but I think the guy believes he is doing right by Iraq.

I got flamed somewhat by a co-worker this morning because I've "allowed myself to be conned by this f***ing con-man." I don't see it that way at all, but I am bracing for the storm...
Old 02-27-2003, 12:44 PM   #6
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ithink perhaps he is not as much the power-drunk maniac as he is the (very) misguided, self-annointed savior of his people.

There are probably a lot of dictators throughout time who have felt that they were doing the best for their country. However, they are either totally misguided, insane, or both, and he is one of them.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 12:50 PM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I think there are a lot of benefits to a benevolent authoritarian form of government.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:23 PM   #8
Easy Mac

You guys know Rather did the same thing a few months before the last Iraq war, correct.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 06:55 PM   #9
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I agree with albion, Tyson vs Hussein! I'd really like to see Iron Mike try and eat Qusay or Uday. Somehow I think Uday would enjoy it.

Anyhow, I really liked a newspaper interview I read with Rather after the fact. I guess Saddam took Dan into another room for another hour or so and kept asking Rather what the American people thought about him. After much prodding Rather would finally say they are behind Bush, against you. And Saddam would come back with, "No, what do they really think?" Rather said this went on and on.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:42 PM   #10
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I could jus see that.

Rather- Believe me the American people aren't against you.

Saddam- Quit joking around, you know you love me.

Rather- No really, in fact they kind of despise you.

Saddam- I love you too man, now quit joking around, what do they really think.

Rather- I have a plane to catch.

Saddam- Sure you do, come here and give Saddam a big ole hug.

Rather- I'm leaving now.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 08:06 PM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Why is it a problem for Rather to interview Saddam? Don't the American people have a right to know what Saddam is thinking? Do you not trust the public to see Saddam for the despot that he is?

If Bush needs to control things so that Americans only see his message, how strong can his message be? I believe that showing Saddam can only help Bush. How can you watch this guy and not see through his act?

I am very disturbed about the way this country is pushing for limits to free speech and expression. Take this quiz. If you think that some of those that disagree with your position should not be allowed to express their opinions you in fact do not support the first amendment.

Free speech is only free if it covers everything. No one has the authority to judge which speech is right and which is wrong. That's what totalitarian states do. The USA is better tan that . Let everyone have their say, and the best argument wins. Shame on those of you that would limit freedom. Isn't freedom what this whole Iraq conflict is about?
Old 02-27-2003, 09:01 PM   #12
Anthony
Banned

i wouldn't watch that interview because those kinds of things always produce the most sanitized, rehearsed answers possible. the answers are so contrived, the questions asked can only result in obvious answers. sometimes an attempt to ask a juicy question in order to give the appearance that the interviewee is beng "grilled" just result in an opportunity to advance someone's cause. Saddam is a public figure, he's a skilled speaker - they can turn any question into a reason to go into their repeptitive rhetoric. you'll hear a question and say out loud "well, duh, what is X supposed to say". boring stuff.

he's been playing the world for a decade, and we're supposed to believe that Saddam is gonna pick Rather to finally come clean. yawn...

Last edited by Anthony : 02-27-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:58 PM   #13
JasonTobiasIV
Mascot

Hell Atlantic:

Whats the word my brother.

Once a jewel, now a cess pool for fools..
JasonTobiasIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:01 AM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Its not about coming clean. I didn't believe a word I saw. It was though legitimate news. Here is the leader of a country we are about to go to war with and he is willing to answer questions. I thought Rather asked some good questions and I admire his guts for going there in the first place. He said he was blindfolded and driven around for a few hours before and after the interview. After Saddam clearly took umbrage with a few questions Rather ha to be a little worried.

Good for Rather and good for the first amendment. I would much prefer the journalist class to do this than give me one more tired account of the Robert Blake trial.