Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2004, 11:11 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(SOCCER) Mutu gets off extremely lightly..

Wow. Mutu flunks a drug test, tries to hide behind a bogus excuse, then admits it when he gets called on it, and only gets seven months suspension.

Compare that to Rio Ferdinand, who simply forgot about a drug test, went home, came back an hour later, and PASSED the drug test.. who got *8* months suspension.

How they can justify it? I dunno

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Muta?

VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Bomber
High School Varsity

Mutu's career is over he's a drug abuser with no team. Maybe they felt bad?
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

Mota?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there any way to block thread titles that have (soccer) in them?

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

meh- its inane anyway. Cocaine is not a performance enhancing drug- its a recreational one. I dont think soccer authorities (especially the cesspool of incompetence that is the FA) should be legislating that in the first place- in Rio's case, idiotic as it was, the logic was that a non show up is tantamount to a positive performance enhancing case- thus the issue.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:40 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew

As a matter of fact.. there is.

Every time you see a thread starting with (soccer) in the title, take a cheese grater, and move it back and forth over and against your genitalia. If you still see it after about fifteen seconds, continue to move the grater, but squeeze a little lemon juice on the area as well. Keep going until you either no longer see a thread with (soccer) in the title or you pass out.

Shouldn't take long until you see no further threads with (soccer) in the title.

David
(who responds because I care)
Old 11-05-2004, 01:00 PM   #8
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew

Have a lobotomy and remove the part of your brain that recognizes S, O, C, E, and R.

As for the supension, I think that was fair punishment considering he also got canned by Chelsea which is a far worse punishment. It's refreshing to see a team in pro sports actually fire someone rather than just wait for them to serve their jail time *cough*.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #9
Bomber
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Have a lobotomy and remove the part of your brain that recognizes S, O, C, E, and R.

As for the supension, I think that was fair punishment considering he also got canned by Chelsea which is a far worse punishment. It's refreshing to see a team in pro sports actually fire someone rather than just wait for them to serve their jail time *cough*.

Didn't Chelsea give Mutu the drug test knowing he would fail so they could ditch him.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
As a matter of fact.. there is.

Every time you see a thread starting with (soccer) in the title, take a cheese grater, and move it back and forth over and against your genitalia. If you still see it after about fifteen seconds, continue to move the grater, but squeeze a little lemon juice on the area as well. Keep going until you either no longer see a thread with (soccer) in the title or you pass out.

Shouldn't take long until you see no further threads with (soccer) in the title.

David
(who responds because I care)

Thank you..
Old 11-05-2004, 04:55 PM   #11
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
Didn't Chelsea give Mutu the drug test knowing he would fail so they could ditch him.

I think the logic behind giving him the drug test was to see whether he was acting like a jackass because he had personality issues, or because he had personality issues and a cocaine problem. He would have been sold in January even if he hadn't failed the test.

Oh, and regarding ban length: I think the logic there is that we don't want missing a test to be the soft option compared with taking a test and getting caught, so we have to treat missing a test as equivalent with taking performance-enhancing drugs.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:06 PM   #12
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Mutu's career is over he's a drug abuser with no team. Maybe they felt bad?
Feyenoord (Dutch team from Rotterdam) has two players under contract who served a suspension over cocaine usage in the past. Mutu would fit well on this team.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:14 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Feyenoord (Dutch team from Rotterdam) has two players under contract who served a suspension over cocaine usage in the past. Mutu would fit well on this team.

Don't the Dutch generally take a more lax view on drug use?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:15 PM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

I think they had strong suspicions considering Mutu was behaving like a text book example of someone with a coke habit. The fact they wanted to get rid of him just made it convenient timing.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Wenger says he might give him a shot- Mutu will be just fine./.. oh the hilarity the first time he scores for Arsenal against Chelsea..
Old 11-05-2004, 06:19 PM   #16
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Compare that to Rio Ferdinand, who simply forgot about a drug test, went home, came back an hour later, and PASSED the drug test.. who got *8* months suspension.

How they can justify it? I dunno

Mutu was a Chelsea player and Ferdinand a Man Utd player

In fact, Ferdinand didn't pass a test an hour later - he offerred himself for the test and the testers wouldn't stay around to administer it. He passed a test three days later.

The argument is that if missing a test gets you a lighter sentence then players who know they would test positive would deliberately miss the test.

Of course, if the FA administered the test professionally the player couldn't do that but, hey, that would put the responsibility on the admin authorities and that's the last thing they want to do

But I agree with Aadik. If they have proof of illegal use of drugs outside performance enhancing drugs they should pass the information on to the appropriate authorities. The sports bodies do not have the setup to deal adequately with this.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 11-05-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:23 PM   #17
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadik
Wenger says he might give him a shot- Mutu will be just fine./.. oh the hilarity the first time he scores for Arsenal against Chelsea..

If he was cool it would be something like this...

klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:31 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I thought I read there was another player currently serving a six-month suspension for cocaine use (maybe it's one of the Feyenoord players), although I think it was UEFA or FIFA-imposed. This other player (from the dredges of my memory) is a well-regarded player, IIRC, but playing in another country (not England).

I thought the Mutu ban might have been based on that punishment (or maybe even an "average" of that and the Ferdinand ban).

I don't see the sense in giving a player who tests positive a lighter sentence than someone who skips a test, although I agree the latter shouldn't get a lighter sentence either (for the reason mentioned). Really, it should be treated exactly the same.

I agree with those who feel that the purpose of these drug testing programs should be to stop performence-enhancers, not habitual recreational drug use. FIFA and the FAs should stay out of the morality play of drug taking for pleasure (as should the NFL re: Ricky Williams, really).

Mutu will end up with a big club after his ban, I am certain, especially if he shows that he has gotten help for his habit and is moving beyond it. He's far too good not to be back in football.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:44 AM   #19
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but Mutu cooperated with the authorities while Ferdinand took his objection right through to an appeal and you do tend to get something off your sentence for cooperating - so they tell me
Old 11-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #20
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Don't the Dutch generally take a more lax view on drug use?
Yes, but you'll still get the 6 months suspension as a football/soccer player when you're caught.

CR, the Feyenoord players both have served their suspension. I won't give the names for debate, it's not worth it.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote