Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Alan Keyes' daughter a lesbian?

Not that I trust blogs completely for news but here is the link anyway:

hxxp://chillinois.blogspot.com/

It's about a 1/4 of the way down the page. They have some audio links to a newsradio station in chicago so maybe the story is indeed true. I can't imagine that this will affect the race as Keyes is polling around the 15% range.

CHICAGO -- Republican Alan Keyes made headlines at the Republican National Convention when he accused Vice President Cheney's openly gay daughter of practicing "selfish hedonism."

He is silent now regarding reports that his daughter is a lesbian. WBBM's Keith Johnson reports.

Keyes sidestepped questions surrounding his 19-year-old daughter’s sexuality.

"I will address such issues in the proper context, and my visit to the Tooling and Manufacturers' Association is not the proper context."

"I do think one has to establish first the relevance of that to anything that has to do with this political campaign."

dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
"I will address such issues in the proper context, and my visit to the Tooling and Manufacturers' Association is not the proper context."

That's a beautiful quote.

But hey - she's 19. From what I can tell from internet and late-night movie research, this is very, very common at that age -- hell, almost universal.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
But hey - she's 19. From what I can tell from internet and late-night movie research, this is very, very common at that age -- hell, almost universal.

Masterfully played.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

This guy is nonstop comedy. How Barack Obama can keep a straight face is beyond me. The latest poll had Obama leading Keyes 68% to 23%.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:19 PM   #5
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

pics pls.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:25 PM   #6
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

i'd like to know what the value of this knowledge in a political campaign is? Does it add any value or is it just an attack?

anyway, since i live in downstate illinois, it doesn't really matter.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

mmmm...irony
Old 09-29-2004, 08:21 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst
i'd like to know what the value of this knowledge in a political campaign is? Does it add any value or is it just an attack?

anyway, since i live in downstate illinois, it doesn't really matter.

Well, Keyes' self touted strength is his morality and his speeches reflect that Illinois and the United States need moral leadership. Presumably, he believes that homosexuality is a choice rather than a birth trait, so it would leave him reeling between two choices:

1. His 19-year old daughter was born with a propensity toward homosexuality. Accept your daughter for what she is and adjust your position on homosexuality. Going this way will pretty much cost him his credibility with the choir he has been preaching to, and leave him without much of a political identity.

or

2. His 19-year old daughter chooses to be homosexual. Take steps to "correct" his daughter's homosexuality (if you believe such a thing is possible) or cut ties with her. This choice will probably damage his relationship with his daughter, and he also risks losing his politcal identity because people may blame him for her poor upbringing (if you believe environment can cause sexual preference) or, if he cuts ties, he has an estranged child and he loses his family man persona.

Last edited by Swaggs : 09-29-2004 at 08:23 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #9
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

[quote=Swaggs]Well, Keyes' self touted strength is his morality and his speeches reflect that Illinois and the United States need moral leadership. Presumably, he believes that homosexuality is a choice rather than a birth trait, so it would leave him reeling between two choices:

[quote]

Ahh.. Thanks, swaggs... i wish my brain would work sometimes...

btw, the comment about downstate illinois is it seems to be whatever chicago does is how the whole state votes.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:05 PM   #10
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Why is Illinois, of all states, one of the more liberal states in the US? Can anyone answer this?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:08 PM   #11
Cuckoo
College Starter

I believe that Alan Keyes feels that engaging in homosexual sex is immoral regardless of one's feelings. At least, I've never heard him say that he feels "being gay" is a choice.

I would assume that he would simply say that regardless of his daughter's preferences, he would expect her to not engage in what he considers to be immoral behavior. If she does so, it doesn't mean he will cut ties with her. He will simply disagree with her choices. Sounds simple enough to me.

Edit: This was in response to Swagg's "two choices" post which seems incredibly limited to me. Why are those his only two choices? I don't know Mr. Keyes personally, nor do I live in Illinois so I don't have a horse in that race, but it just seems strange to me that this is some sort of huge "gotcha." It doesn't look like that to me at all. It looks like a personal family situation that will likely not effect his position on the morality of homosexuality one bit. Just my $.02

Last edited by Cuckoo : 09-29-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:22 PM   #12
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Why is Illinois, of all states, one of the more liberal states in the US? Can anyone answer this?

It's not liberal, per se, but it is Democratic, or at least votes that way. Why does it vote that way? Because of the Democratic machine in Chicago. And since Chicago has such a significant population vs. the rest of the state, that's how it goes.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:37 PM   #13
Flasch186
Coordinator

LOL

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:47 PM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
It's not liberal, per se, but it is Democratic, or at least votes that way. Why does it vote that way? Because of the Democratic machine in Chicago. And since Chicago has such a significant population vs. the rest of the state, that's how it goes.

What he said.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:57 PM   #15
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm sorry if I cut a few corners to get to my ends. I certainly do not have a horse in the race, either. I meant for the two choices, for simplicity's sake, to outline the two paths that Keyes can take for the remainder of his political campaign, because finkenst asked if the news had any value to the election. As far as just simply disagreeing with her choices and accepting them, I guess I did not consider that option because he has made a career of demonizing homosexuality.

To be so (presumably) sincerely passionate about something that you have made public speeches, writings, media appearances, and your political career about and then to ignore it when it appears in your everyday life seems disingenious to me. I guess I should not be surprised by anything anymore, but to just play off his daughter's homosexuality without changing his approach towards his parenting or his beliefs just doesn't make sense to me. Particularly for someone with political aspirations, where your "record" is so important.

My thoughts are that if it is a "gotcha"-type thing, Obama has very little to gain. The less press the rest of the way out, the better for him, because I can't see him gaining upon what he already has.

Last edited by Swaggs : 09-30-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:04 AM   #16
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

Also, it's not so much the Illinois is so liberal, it's that the GOP in Illinois has imploded so badly in the past few years with scandals and such, it actually made the DNC of Illinois look better in comparison, which as most of you know, takes a lot. Also, it helps when the GOP candidate is trying to trick his wife out a sex club.
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:22 AM   #17
haji1
Mascot

There is a city in Illinois, I forget the name right now, Peking? Perkins? Anyway it was the home of the headquarters of the KKK not too long ago. I remember driving through it with a couple of my friends and they pointed the site out to me. Is that liberal enough for you?
haji1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:26 AM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Ewiak
Also, it's not so much the Illinois is so liberal, it's that the GOP in Illinois has imploded so badly in the past few years with scandals and such, it actually made the DNC of Illinois look better in comparison, which as most of you know, takes a lot. Also, it helps when the GOP candidate is trying to trick his wife out a sex club.

I cant believe Ryan even bothered to try to run when the possibility of that kind of information coming out existed. He should have tried to seal those records, I'm sure 7 of 9 didnt want it coming out for her career or their children's sake either.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:28 AM   #19
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I'm sorry if I cut a few corners to get to my ends. I certainly do not have a horse in the race, either. I meant for the two choices, for simplicity's sake, to outline the two paths that Keyes can take for the remainder of his political campaign, because finkenst asked if the news had any value to the election. As far as just simply disagreeing with her choices and accepting them, I guess I did not consider that option because he has made a career of demonizing homosexuality.

To be so (presumably) sincerely passionate about something that you have made public speeches, writings, media appearances, and your political career about and then to ignore it when it appears in your everyday life seems disingenious to me. I guess I should not be surprised by anything anymore, but to just play off his daughter's homosexuality without changing his approach towards his parenting or his beliefs just doesn't make sense to me. Particularly for someone with political aspirations, where your "record" is so important.

My thoughts are that if it is a "gotcha"-type thing, Obama has very little to gain. The less press the rest of the way out, the better for him, because I can't see him gaining upon what he already has.

Fair enough. I wasn't aware that he had made a career of demonizing homosexuality necessarily. I just thought that he was a staunch Christian and emphasized moral values, which obviously would include homosexuality but wouldn't necessarily place it above any other. I could be completely wrong, though. I haven't exactly followed all of Keyes' messages.

If he has treated it the way you describe, then I would agree that he has somewhat of a problem. I still wouldn't think it would change the way he approaches his politics, but...

If he has treated it the way I suspected, that regardless of one's inclinations, acting upon homosexual feelings is immoral, then he could actually utilize this to his advantage by making himself not appear to "demonize" homosexuality as you say but just categorize it as any other moral issue. By repeating how much he loves his daughter, it certainly wouldn't drive away those who agree with him but may bring in a few who thought him to be too divisive before in his moral beliefs.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:03 PM   #20
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the political risk (I would hope he wouldn't outweigh his family for politics, but it is not that uncommon these days, unfortunately) is that he might look like a bad parent for allowing his young daughter to go down that path. That would look bad for a man who utilizes family values as a key to his campaign.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:04 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Didn't even know he had a daughter.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:09 PM   #22
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Ever been to Chicago?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:14 PM   #23
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Ever been in a Turkish bath?
Old 09-30-2004, 01:16 PM   #24
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Ever been in a Turkish bath?

*winces*
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:26 PM   #25
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I think the political risk (I would hope he wouldn't outweigh his family for politics, but it is not that uncommon these days, unfortunately) is that he might look like a bad parent for allowing his young daughter to go down that path. That would look bad for a man who utilizes family values as a key to his campaign.

I think you're exactly right. It would be unfortunate, but you have probably pegged precisely the way a lot of the more conservative Christians would view it.

There have been a myriad of debates around here about whether homosexuality is inborn - I tend to think the inclination toward it likely is. But even for those who felt it was not, it's sad to me that they would think his daughter's decisions necessarily comment on his parenting abilities. As a father myself, as well as a person who grew up a bit differently than I was necessarily instructed as a child, I think there's only so much control he would have anyway.