Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2003, 12:16 AM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Is the world really that stupid?

So Saddam found a few more bombs he forgot about. Doesn't the world see the games this guy is playing? As it gets closer and closer to war he reveals more and more. Rather than be open and honest up front he hides all his weapons and then says "oops, we found two over here we had forgotten about." Then Blix comes back and says he's beginning to cooperate more. It's amazing what people will believe. The guy has the weapons and he needs to fork them all over or face war. Enough of this BS already.

Tarkus

P.S. Next time I'll tell ya how I really feel.

Last edited by Tarkus : 02-26-2003 at 12:17 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:20 AM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

War is looming...

Of course, we will still have to hear the French cry.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 02-26-2003 at 12:20 AM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:50 AM   #3
Mountain
Mascot

I have seen the light. Saddam's refusal to destroy the missiles that exceed the range allowed has convinced me that we are dealing with a person who is in violation of his agreements. Its time to put up or shut up.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:53 AM   #4
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Well Blix has said the missiles are not debatable so it will be interesting to see how the UN responds if Saddam doesn't start destroying them by Saturday.

Tarkus
Old 02-26-2003, 09:55 AM   #5
Frozenrope
Mascot

"Tell me where the gate key is."

"I have no gate key."

"Fezzig, tear his arms off."

"Oh, you mean this gate key?"

The Princess Bride

Seems the only way Huessein does anything productive is when there's a gun in his face.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:55 AM   #6
dacman
College Benchwarmer

I've seen a lot of the Hitler/Saddam type comparisons and I have to say, after seeing a chunk of Dan Rather's interview, that unlike Hitler, Saddam is no madman. He is a cold, calculating, and deceptive power mongorer who seems to be getting a giant ego trip from all the vocal anti-war types. His goal is clearly to delay war as long as possible in an effort to win a political war of attrition in the arena of public (world) opinion. He has absolutely no intention of disarming, IMHO.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:58 AM   #7
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozenrope

"I have no gate key."

The Princess Bride

Seems the only way Huessein does anything productive is when there's a gun in his face.

Great movie and dead on in this case.

Tarkus
Old 02-26-2003, 10:02 AM   #8
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Standing up to this power mongorer is exactly what the US and Brits have been doing, and what the French and Germans are too cowardly to do. It's not about making war (which may or may not happen) but negotiating from a position of strength.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I had a trip with some teenagers once. I was pretty sure that a certain group of them had brought alcohol on the trip. This was a group of kids that really needed to be there and could really benefit from the experience, so I didn't want to have to send them home. I decided to give them a speech that went something like this:
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm excited that y'all are on this trip, because I know we're going to have a blast together. We've got lots planned for your enjoyment. I say that because I'm pretty sure that some of you have brought some stuff with you that you shouldn't have. I want you to know that you aren't going to need that stuff to have a blast on this trip, and if I catch you with it, I'm going to call your folks and send you home. So, I'm going to offer you this: We're (there was one other leader in the cabin) going to leave the room for 5 minutes. When we come back, I want every bit of "contraband" in here on the counter. We'll dispose of it, and there will be no questions asked, and you won't be in any trouble. Anything we find after this, and you're getting sent home.
So, after this little speech, we walked out of the room. Five minutes later, upon our return, there are two beers sitting on the counter. The other leader and I looked at the beers, looked at each other and just burst out laughing. When I stopped laughing, I told them that they had better give it all up right then and there or I was going to search their bags. They brought out enough booze to stock a small liquor cabinet, enough pot to keep Snoop Dogg happy for a week, and even a few 'shrooms.

The funniest part of that whole incident to me was picturing them in the room after we left: "Dude, this stuff cost us good money. Let's just give up a little of it! {Guy puts one beer on counter.} Dude, you're such a moron. If you just put one beer out there, Ben's gonna know. Put two!" How stupid do they think I am????

How stupid does Saddam think we are??????
Old 02-26-2003, 10:38 AM   #10
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Check the file...
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:39 AM   #11
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Great analogy, but unfortunately we have some countries and people that are that stupid (or pretend to be for their own personal reasons).

Tarkus

Last edited by Tarkus : 02-26-2003 at 10:40 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:56 AM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozenrope

"I have no gate key."

The Princess Bride

Close, but I think what's going on is something more like this:

"There's no gate."
"Oh, ok."
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:00 AM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
All this talk of gates has me waiting for Zuul, Vinz Clortho, and the coming of Gozer.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:03 AM   #14
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
Close, but I think what's going on is something more like this:

"There's no gate."
"Oh, ok."

Tarkus
Old 02-26-2003, 11:08 AM   #15
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
All this talk of gates has me waiting for Zuul, Vinz Clortho, and the coming of Gozer.

dogs and cats...living together...total anarchy!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #16
heybrad
Norm!!!

"Is it true what he's saying?"

"Yes, its true. This man has no dick."
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:27 AM   #17
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Great job folks!!! People disagree with you and you call them morons/stupid.

This war has less to do with terrorism and protecting the people of the world than it does about oil and financial power for America. Thats my opinion. Other people have the right to have a differing opinion, I respect them for that. But just because they disagree with me doesn't make them stupid.

People of the world don't have to agree with everything American politicians say, and we don't have to believe them either. "SOME" Americans have to get around the notion that their opinions are far superior than those in other countries. Everyone has the right to have his/her opinion on this war. If you support it, good. If you're against it, good. You're not stupid just because you disagree with me...

Guess what people... France doesn't have to do everything Bush says. America doesn't control the citizens of France. Wether they are "techinically wrong" or not, doesn't make a difference. They aren't stupid just because they don't agree with America. Now I see everyone saying that French people are idiots just because they are French... Pointless...
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:27 AM   #18
Aylmar
High School Varsity

"Symmetrical book stacking. Just like the Philadelphia mass turbulence of 1947."

"You're right, no human being would stack books like this."
Old 02-26-2003, 11:29 AM   #19
McSweeny
College Starter

well said joe
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:31 AM   #20
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Joe Canadian, you're not French Canadian by any chance?

Tarkus
Old 02-26-2003, 11:35 AM   #21
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Canadian
Now I see everyone saying that French people are idiots just because they are French... Pointless...

Hey, don't blame us! The Brits have been saying that about the French since before we were even a country.

Last edited by Aylmar : 02-26-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Aylmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:42 AM   #22
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:

This war has less to do with terrorism and protecting the people of the world than it does about oil and financial power for America. Thats my opinion. Other people have the right to have a differing opinion, I respect them for that. But just because they disagree with me doesn't make them stupid.

People of the world don't have to agree with everything American politicians say, and we don't have to believe them either. "SOME" Americans have to get around the notion that their opinions are far superior than those in other countries. Everyone has the right to have his/her opinion on this war. If you support it, good. If you're against it, good. You're not stupid just because you disagree with me...

Guess what people... France doesn't have to do everything Bush says. America doesn't control the citizens of France. Wether they are "techinically wrong" or not, doesn't make a difference. They aren't stupid just because they don't agree with America. Now I see everyone saying that French people are idiots just because they are French... Pointless...

sigh. I will bite my tongue on this one.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:45 AM   #23
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Everyone has the right to have his/her opinion on this war.

I don't know if everyone does have a right to HAVE an opinion. In the US we have right to express an opinion, even it is one we do not hold.

Quote:
Americans have to get around the notion that their opinions are far superior than those in other countries.

But they are. That is why we are the best.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:29 PM   #24
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Gosh, I feel like such a stupid moron, now.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #25
Aardvark
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by dacman
I've seen a lot of the Hitler/Saddam type comparisons and I have to say, after seeing a chunk of Dan Rather's interview, that unlike Hitler, Saddam is no madman. He is a cold, calculating, and deceptive power mongorer who seems to be getting a giant ego trip from all the vocal anti-war types. His goal is clearly to delay war as long as possible in an effort to win a political war of attrition in the arena of public (world) opinion. He has absolutely no intention of disarming, IMHO.

So in other words he's more like Stalin. Great.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 03:19 PM   #26
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

No I'm not French Canadian...

If people want to bite their tounge about my post thats their choice. But I don't know whats "wrong" with saying everyone can have a different opinion.

And if you want to feel like a stupid moron, I guess you can choose to do that. But in no way did I mean to call you a stupid moron.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 02-26-2003, 03:24 PM   #27
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
If people want to bite their tounge about my post thats their choice. But I don't know whats "wrong" with saying everyone can have a different opinion.
Agreed that opinions can be different. However, I'm curious as to what your opinion that this war is about oil is based on.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 03:31 PM   #28
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch
Gosh, I feel like such a stupid moron, now.

I'm feeling very French too..

"Now go away or I shall be forced to taunt you a second time"
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:15 PM   #29
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aylmar
Hey, don't blame us! The Brits have been saying that about the French since before we were even a country.

no they haven't, only the imbecilic, tabloid reading, xenophobic nincompoops have been saying that. france is fine by me.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:33 PM   #30
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I used to laugh when I read this in college, I don't laugh so much anymore:

"Of course the people don't want war... That is understood. But... it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

--Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg trials in 1946

Allan Bloom sums it up for me:

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.

Get on that bandwagon it is the shizznit.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:36 PM   #31
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

France's reasons for not going to war has less to do with protecting people of the world than it does for protecting their own oil interests.

Quote:

You think people in america agree with everything their politicians say? Funny

Quote:

Personally I have very strict guidelines to follow before saying someone is an "idiot" or a "moron".

For instance, I would call a person an "idiot" if I didn't agree with their ideas
Old 02-26-2003, 05:48 PM   #32
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

No I don't think ALL Americans agree with their politicians, if you noticed I was referring to "SOME" Americans.

If you call someone an idiot because you don't agree with their ideas, thats your choice. Guess what? People are allowed to disagree with you... that doesn't make them an idiot... well in my mind anyway .

And to answer Maple Leaf's question whic he posted earlier... I based my opinion on "facts," just like the "facts" used to link Iraq with Al Queda(sp?).

In conclusion... I'd just like to state something. I am all for getting rid of Sadaam, and for that matter killing the guy... However I'm not supporting a war, which I believe is being put together for all the wrong reasons... I am not for killing innocent people, in order to protect other innocent people, which basiclly says one countries citizens are more important than another's.

Peace!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 02-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #33
RendeR
Coordinator

"The only real peace is that which is found on the other side of war...."

I forget who said that, but the longer this situation simmers the more meaningful this statement becomes.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

I am all for getting rid of Sadaam, and for that matter killing the guy... However I'm not supporting a war"

How would you go about getting rid of him then?

I've heard this kind of arguement before, but I haven't heard anyone that's made it come up with any kind of viable solution to get rid of Sadaam.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:39 PM   #35
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

You're tottally right... I have no idea how to get rid of him, well thats not true I do have ideas but most out on a limb and ridiculus . But I'm a 19 year old university student from St. John's, I hope to the almighty lord that the world isn't depending on me to come up with a solution to this problem .

I think and hope the people running the world are somewhat smart and know how to resolve problems better than... "Lets declare war on them."

This is a copout... I know that. But me telling you my ideas of how to fix this problem is not going to matter much in the grand scheme of things... no one's going to listen to little ol' Joe Canadian. I don't agree with a war, but I'm not kidding myself... in the end, more than likely, there will be a war... but I still don't support an attack on innocent people, who have done nothing wrong (no, I'm not referring to Sadaam).

It's a complicated situation, and I don't know all the facts... none of us do. But having a war, and further angering people who already hate you doesn't seem like much of a solution. People say this war will create 10 more Sadaam's and Osama's, and I think thats true. Maybe we should be looking to help the citizens of Iraq get rid of this dictator themselves, or maybe we need to be doing more in the way of foreign aid... who knows.

I'm going to stop typing now because I'm rambling ...
LETS GO JAYS!!