Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
Subby
lolzcat

FOF: Special Teams Gripe/Suggestion

First game of the season, my strong safety gets hurt and is out for the year. I look at the game log and it turns out his injury occurred during one of our punt returns.

Really frustrating...the guy was not slotted in any of the special teams positions (punt/kick returns or gunner) for this very reason (I wanted to minimize risk of injury to my starters).

Does the game choose coverage teams at random or the unslotted position tied to other guys on the depth charts?

Which leads me to a feature that I would love to see in the next version of FOF...special teams depth charts.

Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Not much else to add except that I concur.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Some Solecismic game (either TCY or an earlier iteration of FOF) had a setting for "Use Starters on Special Teams" -- that might be nice to revive as a global setting. At least you'd feel like you had some control here.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I agree with the sentiments expressed above.

I've had similar frustrating (and long-term) injuries occur to starting RBs whom I specifically left off of the return/gunner units, yet who somehow managed to get hurt blocking on returns (they weren't the returners).

This really needs to be addressed, as there simply aren't many (any?) starting RBs in "real" football who play on special teams, with the possible exceptions of the "hands" units for onside kicks.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I would fix this AFTER I fixed the "so-and-so went down with a career threatening injury on a False Start penalty". I hate having guys get hurt on non-plays, especially with big injuries.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:42 PM   #6
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

keep in mind that every team uses starters on special teams. Charles Woodson was all over the field on special teams last night. And you also get starters injured on special teams in the NFL all the time; Kellen Winslow and Mike Anderson of Denver (a starting running back) immediately come to mind. It sucks to have a starter injured on special teams, but it's also reality.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote