Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2004, 02:19 AM   #1
klayman
College Benchwarmer

NHL EHM: Oiler Fever

It’s time to right the ship and bring the glory back to Edmonton. Too many Calgary Flames playoff games (and forum dynasties ) over the last couple of months have left me in a foul mood, and seeing how I might not have a hockey team to support very soon, this might be my only means of satisfaction.

So I unceremoniously dump Kevin Lowe from the General Manager position of the Edmonton Oilers and assume full control of the team. No longer will I have whipping boys and scapegoats to complain about...success (or failure) will solely be my responsibility, just the way it should be.

klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:21 AM   #2
klayman
College Benchwarmer

September 6, 2003
My first day as GM. Unfortunately a lot of Lowe’s mistakes have already crept into the database. Salo is gone to the Avs, leaving us without a solid #1 goalkeeper. The Comrie fiasco has placed him in Phoenix without much to show for it. The Nedved trade has happened which was actually a good move by Lowe, except we are on the books for his $4.5 million dollar salary. Nonetheless, I can manage with what I have.

2003-04 Roster (Italics indicate unsigned prospects)
Goalkeepers (Age)
Ty Conklin (27)
Jussi Markkanen (28)
Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers (19)

I’m not as convinced in Conklin’s abilities as everybody else in the organization seems to be. Unfortunately, I’m left with little choice as he is the obvious number 1 goalie here. Markkanen is exceptional…for a backup, but I can’t rely on him to carry the load. Deslauries is the future but is still 2 to 3 years off from a regular starting position. The rest of the prospects are not NHL caliber and that leaves me quickly looking for a young number one goalie to build the franchise around.

Defensemen (age)
Jason Smith (29)
Cory Cross (28)
Scott Ferguson (30)
Steve Staios (30)
Igor Ulanov (34)
Eric Brewer (24)
Bobby Allen (24)
Marc-Andre Bergeron (23)
Mikko Luoma (21)
Alexei Semenov (22)
Dan Smith (27)
Rocky Thompson (26)
Jeff Woywitka (20)
Doug Lynch (21)

We have a strong core of talented although unspectacular defenseman. Smith, Cross, Ferguson, Staios, Ulanov, Brewer, Bergeron, and Semenov give us 8 solid starters, while Woywitka (obtained in the Comrie trade) and Lynch are two excellent prospects for the near future. Overall, I’m happy with the right mixture of youth and experience on the blueline, and I don’t think much needs to be done here.

Left Wingers (age)
Raffi Torres (22)
Brad Isbister (26)
Ryan Smyth (27)
Jamie Wright (27)
Fernando Pisani (26)
Ethan Moreau (28)
Eddie Caron (21)
Brock Radunske (20)
Jean-Francois Jacques (18)
Troy Bodie (18)

Smyth is probably the only untouchable player on the team, unless the Flames want to trade him straight up for Iginla. Torres is a strong player with the potential to get 20 goals. Isbister and Moreau are both disappointing for unfulfilled potential, but both are strong character players. The prospects are uninspiring to say the least.

Right Wingers (age)
Ales Hemsky (20)
Georges Laraque (26)
Radek Dvorak (26)
Shawn Horcoff (25)
Sean McAslan (23)
Jan Rita (22)
Zack Stortini (18)

Dvorak and Horcoff are solid wingers, while Hemsky still has a considerable amount to learn in his sophomore season. Laraque is an expensive although somewhat talented goon, but we are not left with many other options on the right side. Rita has been tagged as NHL caliber, but I have my doubts.

Centers (age)
Petr Nedved (31)
Adam Oates (41)
Mike York (25)
Marty Reasoner (26)
Jarret Stoll (21)
Jason Chimera (24)
Dan Tessier (21)
Marc-Antoine Pouliot (18)
Nate DiCasmirro (25)

Nedved gives us a bona fide number one center, which we haven’t really had since the Doug Weight days. Oates at 41 can still contribute, but I won’t expect too much out of him. York is a solid two way player, and the oft-injured Reasoner gives us 4 solid centers. Stoll and Chimera are two exciting young centers who will see some ice time to aid their development, while Pouliot should be a future NHL all star giving us a solid foundation for the future.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:22 AM   #3
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Our player budget sits at $30 million, while our actual wage is slightly above that at $32.5m. We have $17m in the bank, however, so we should be able to operate on a deficit for a while, if need be. Although I’m a vocal critic of Craig MacTavish’s coaching abilities, he manages to keep his job for the time being. He’ll coach the pre-season games, but after that he’ll be nothing but a figure head as I will take complete control of the team. The only change I make to the coaching staff is bringing former Oiler great, Grant Fuhr in as an assistant to coach the goalies.

September 7, 2003
Barely 24 hours into my managerial career, and I pull the trigger on some blockbuster trades. I fill our need for a young number one goalie by grabbing the inconsistent but talented Rick DiPietro from the Islanders.

To Edmonton:
G Rick DiPietro (22)
NYI 1st round pick 2005

To New York:
F Jan Rita (22)
G Ty Conklin (27)
PHI 1st round pick 2004
EDM 2nd round pick 2005

The next trade is historic as I grab the talented Dion Phaneuf from the Flames before he is tainted by that horrible organization. It cost me a lot, but its well worth it just to hear Karim scream WTF?!?

To Edmonton:
The rights to Dion Phaneuf

To Calgary:
D Doug Lynch
Rights to G Kristian Antilla
Rights to F Kyle Brodziak
EDM 2nd round pick in 2006
EDM 2nd round pick in 2007
Old 08-01-2004, 02:43 AM   #4
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Our exhibition season gets underway with a 3-3 tie against Boston. For some reason, we have no games at home for the entire exhibition schedule. The circus must be in town or something. No big deal, however. As promised, MacTavish controls the team while I continue to plan our future NHL dominance.

I make a couple of more deals before the roster freeze, none of them significant though, picking up the rights to F Zdeno Ciger and a 5th round pick (2004) from Tampa Bay for a 9th round pick (2004) and the rights to F Fredrik Johansson, as well as shipping the rights to Fredrik Bremberg to Chicago for a 5th round pick (2004). Neither player was interested in coming over the pond to play hockey, and Ciger is one of my favorite ex-Oilers, so it will be nice to have him on the team next season.

In an attempt to justify my taking over of coaching duties, MacTavish does his best to sabotage the season. After a 2-2 draw against Florida, he loses the next 4 straight; 5-1 to Ottawa, 6-1 to Anaheim, an embarrassing 8-1 loss to Pittsburgh, and a 3-0 shutout loss against Buffalo. Scary.

The roster freezes on October 1st to make way for the waiver draft. The only preseason trade to happen, besides the ones I made, is a minor deal.

Detroit trades 3rd round pick (2004) and G Joey MacDonald to Florida for D Lukas Krajicek.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:59 AM   #5
klayman
College Benchwarmer

2003 Waiver Draft
Pittsburgh selects G Curtis Joseph from Detroit
Columbus selects D Philippe Boucher from Dallas
Atlanta selects F Robert Reichel from Toronto
Atlanta selects F Jarkko Ruutu from Vancouver
Chicago selects F Mike Keane from Vancouver
Edmonton selects D Nolan Pratt from Tampa Bay
Washington selects G Bryon Dafoe from Atlanta
Minnesota selects D Drake Berehowsky from Toronto
Atlanta selects F Mats Lindgren from Vancouver
Edmonton selects G Zac Bierk from Phoenix
Minnesota selects F Harold Druken from Toronto
Atlanta selects F Peter Worrell from Colorado

Pratt was too good to pass up for nothing, and Bierk gives us a 3rd string goaltender with NHL experience in case of injuries. Plus, since we’re related I would have had a shit storm at home if I didn’t pick him up. I’m not quite sure why Atlanta gave up on Dafoe, but it’s more baffling why Washington picked him up. I’m also sure that you can’t lose more than 2 players in the draft, but both Toronto and Vancouver lost 3.

After the draft, San Jose trades G Nolan Schaefer and D Miroslav Zalesak to the New York Islanders for the rights to D Bruno Gervais. The Detroit Red Wings announce their new head coach for the post-Scotty Bowman era, none other than former Leaf and Jets head coach Tom Watt. Sorry H_B

Next up, the 2003-04 NHL Regular Season.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
The next trade is historic as I grab the talented Dion Phaneuf from the Flames before he is tainted by that horrible organization. It cost me a lot, but its well worth it just to hear Karim scream WTF?!?

To Edmonton:
The rights to Dion Phaneuf

To Calgary:
D Doug Lynch
Rights to G Kristian Antilla
Rights to F Kyle Brodziak
EDM 2nd round pick in 2006
EDM 2nd round pick in 2007

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:11 PM   #7
Karim
College Starter

I'm always surprised that Nolan Pratt's available. I would have picked him up too but we already had 8 solid defencemen.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:44 PM   #8
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome
Old 08-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #9
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Ethan Moreau picks up a twisted knee in practice and will miss the first 2 weeks of the season. Besides that, we have no injuries to report as we drop our roster down to 23 players.

Oilers 23 man roster
G Rick DiPietro
G Jussi Markkanen
D Nolan Pratt
D Eric Brewer
D Cory Cross
D Scott Ferguson
D Jason Smith
D Steve Staios
D Igor Ulanov
LW Brad Isbister
LW Ethan Moreau
LW Ryan Smyth
LW Raffi Torres
RW Radek Dvorak
RW Ales Hemsky
RW Georges Laraque
RW Shawn Horcoff
C Petr Nedved
C Adam Oates
C Marty Reasoner
C Mike York
C Jarret Stoll
C Jason Chimera

D Alexei Semenov and D Marc-Andre Bergeron are causalities of the numbers games, and both get sent to the Toronto Roadrunners since they don’t have to clear waivers. Both G Zak Bierk and F Fernando Pisani clear waivers and are assigned to the Roadrunners as well. We make one more trade before the season starts, sending the rights to D Jonas Elofsson to Washington for a 5th round pick (2004).

With Moreau out, Chimera will take his place, giving us the following lines:

F1 Smyth – Nedved – Dvorak
F2 Isbister – Oates – Hemsky
F3 Torres – York – Horcoff
F4 Chimera – Reasoner – Laraque

D1 Pratt – Brewer
D2 Ferguson – Smith
D3 Cross -- Staios
Old 08-01-2004, 04:32 PM   #10
klayman
College Benchwarmer

October 8, 2003
LA 4 @ Pho 0
Col 5 @ Nas 0
Phi 1 @ Tor 2

October 9, 2003
Buf 3 @ Mon 3
Bos 4 @ NYR 4
LA 1 @ Chi 2
Dal 4 @ Van 1
Pit 1 @ Was 4
Det 1 @ Atl 5
Car 1 @ Flr 3
SJ 1 @ Stl 4

Game #1 Edmonton @ Calgary
Isbister opens the scoring just 5 mins into the first, when he deflects a Staios shot past the helpless Turek for the 1-0 lead. A rough first period with 8 penalties including two fights between Oliwa and Smith, and Staios and Iginla, but things settle down in the 2nd, and at 10:23 of the 2nd period, Hemsky feeds Torres alone in the slot for his first NHL goal and a 2-0 lead. Adam Oates quickly adds his 1st as an Oiler just 2 mins later and we cruise into the 3rd up by 3. Isbister strips Rhett Warrener off the puck, and puts home the backhander for an unassisted tally, his 2nd of the game with only 10 mins left in the 3rd to put the game out of reach, but Chris Clark spoils DiPietro’s shutout bid with only 4 mins remaining, giving the Oilers a 4-1 win.
Game Stats Edmonton – Calgary
Shots 26-24
PP 0-3 – 0-5
PIM 17 – 13
Stars: 1) Isbister 2) Oates 3)DiPietro

Oct 10, 2003
Nas 2 @ Min 5
Cbs 2 @ Ana 5
SJ 2 @ NJ 2
Tor 1 @ Tam 1
NYI 1 @ Col 2

Oct 11, 2003
Pit 2 @ Bos 4
Buf 1 @ Ott 2
Stl 1 @ Mon 3
NJ 5 @ NYR 3
Van 6 @ Cal 4
Pho 2 @ Chi 2
Atl 3 @ Was 4
Phi 1 @ Car 3
NYI 2 @ Det 6
Tor 3 @ Flr 0

Game #2: Dallas @ Edmonton
No changes to the lineup, but DiPietro looks shaky early as Brenden Morrow beats him on the glove side just 8 seconds into the game. He settles down however, and Scott Ferguson gets that goal back at 12:45 on the powerplay for a 1-1 draw into the 2nd. It’s Marty Turco who loses his concentration at the start of the 2nd, as both Chimera and Nedved put the puck past him with 2 quick goals just 2 mins into the 2nd. Dvorak breaks the Stars will with a goal with just 1 second remaining in the 2nd for the 4-1 lead, and Ryan Smyth gets his 1st of the year in the 3rd period for a 5-1 Oiler win.
Game Stats Dallas – Edmonton
Shots 20 – 30
PP 0-2 – 1-5
PIM 21 – 15
Stars 1) Smyth 2) Dvorak 3) Pratt
Old 08-01-2004, 05:14 PM   #11
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Oct 12, 2003
Ana 3 @ LA 2 (ot)
SJ 4 @ Nas 10
Dal 3 @ Col 1
Cbs 2 @ Min 0

Oct 13, 2003
Pho 3 @ Bos 2
Flr 2 @ Car 5
Cal 3 @ Det 1
Was 2 @ Ott 1 (ot)

Oct 14, 2003
Was 4 @ Buf 3
Pit 3 @ Atl 1

Game #3 Vancouver @ Edmonton
Markkanen gets the start and stops all 12 1st period Canuck shots as Raffi Torres gets his 2nd of the year at 18:38 for the 1-0 1st period lead. A tight defensive 2nd period gave way to the 3rd, where the floodgates opened up, starting just 15 seconds into the 3rd, when Shawn Horcoff scored on a penalty shot to make it 2-0. Horcoff adds another 4 mins later with a backhand off a feed from Reasoner for the 3-0 lead. Marek Malik gets one for the Canucks as he beats Markkanen from just outside the faceoff circle, but Horcoff puts the game away with 10 mins left in the 3rd with his hattrick goal, and Isbister adds a powerplay marker at 15:53 of the 3rd for a 5-1 Oiler win.
Game Stats Vancouver – Edmonton
Shots 34 – 26
PP 0/8 – 1/4
PIM 18 – 26
Stars 1) Markkanen 2) Hemsky 3) Horcoff
Old 08-02-2004, 01:55 AM   #12
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Oct 15, 2003
Ana 3 @ Flr 4 (ot)
Tor 2 @ Pho 4
Mon 2 @ SJ 4

Oct 16, 2003
Min 1 @ Col 2
Atl 2 @ NYI 7
Ana 3 @ Tam 3
Bos 7 @ Van 4
Cbs 1 @ Chi 5
Nas 4 @ Det 2
NJ 3 @ Buf 4
Ott 4 @ Phi 2
NYR 3 @ Dal 5
Cal 2 @ Stl 2

Oct 17, 2003
Was 4 @ Pho 1
Mon 3 @ LA 7

Oct 18, 2003
Ott 2 @ Buf 4
Flr 2 @ Pit 2
Car 3 @ NYI 1
Det 3 @ Chi 1
NYR 2 @ Ana 3
Cal 3 @ Col 5
Was 3 @ Cbs 5
Nas 2 @ Atl 2
Tam 4 @ Phi 5 (ot)
Mon 2 @ Dal 2
Tor 2 @ SJ 2
Stl 3 @ NJ 5
Min 0 @ Van 7

Game #4: Boston @ Edmonton
DiPietro is back in net, and 1:49 into the 1st, Patrice Bergeron beats him on the low glove side for the rookie’s first ever goal in the NHL. Isbister ties it up at 10:47 when he forces a Jason Chimera rebound past Felix Potvin. But it is all Boston from that point on, and just 24 seconds into the 2nd period, Bergeron gets his 2nd career NHL goal on a nice feed from Nylander for the 2-1 lead. Per-Johan Axelsson makes it 3-1 on a breakaway exactly 16 mins later as Boston continue to control the game. Chimera pulls us to within one in the 3rd, his 2nd of the year, at the 3:31 mark of the 3rd, but DiPietro lets a weak goal by Lapointe in just 3 mins later to end the threat. Grosek makes it 5-2 from Slegr and Lapointe, before Dvorak adds a powerplay maker with 4 mins remaining in the game to pull to within 2, but it is not enough, and Brian Rolston gets his 2nd of the season with 56 seconds left in the game for a 6-3 Boston win.
Game Stats Boston – Edmonton
Shots 30 – 25
PP 0/2 – 1/4
PIM 10 – 6
Stars 1) Bergeron 2) Slegr 3) Zamuner
Old 08-02-2004, 02:16 AM   #13
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Oct 19, 2003
Tor 2 @ LA 4
Chi 2 @ Nas 4
Col 3 @ Pho 2

Oct 20, 2003
Ott 1 @ Pit 2
Bos 4 @ Cal 5
Flr 4 @ NYI 4
Stl 2 @ Buf 2

Oct 21, 2003
Atl 1 @ Tam 5
Tor 0 @ Min 0
Cbs 2 @ Van 6
NYR 3 @ SJ 1
LA 4 @ Dal 4

Game #5 : Edmonton @ Colorado
Ethan Moreau is back in the lineup, forcing Chimera up into the pressbox. He’s played very well, however, so I’ll need to find a way to get him back on the ice. No other changes to lineup as we have had plenty of rest in between games so far this season. DiPietro is his regular shaky self, and 19 seconds in Hejduk beats him with a wrist shot from 20 feet out. Nedved goes down with a injury in the 1st, and has to leave the bench for the dressing room, taking a big bite out of our offensive output for the game. The boys battle through it however and Hemsky ties things up on the powerplay from Isbister and York at the 16:00 mark, and Jason Smith adds another with 2 mins remaining in the period for the 2-1 lead. The 2nd period turns into a slugfest that carries over into a rough 3rd period. But DiPietro lets us down again, allowing Hejduk another easy goal just 8 seconds into the 3rd before Tanguay and Gratton add insurance markers at 44:41 and 51:09 respectively to ice the 4-2 Colorado win.
Game Stats Edmonton – Colorado
Shots 39 – 33
PP 1/7 – 0/1
PIM 16 – 28
Stars 1) Forsberg 2) Jason Smith 3) Aebischer

Nedved is out for 2 months with a dislocated shoulder and goes on the IR after the game.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:31 AM   #14
klayman
College Benchwarmer

With Nedved out, Chimera steps up to center the 3rd line, while York moves to the first. Normally I would go to Oates in that situation, but at 41 he can barely handle the ice time he is getting on the 2nd line right now, never mind being our #1 guy.

Some contract news, as Rick DiPietro signs a 4 year/$5.5m contract. That locks him up until 2007 with the same $1.3m salary he was making, plus some added bonus incentives and a Team Option. A pretty good deal for the team. The only other players under contract for next season other than DiPietro right now are Nedved and Jarret Stoll, so we’ll have a fairly busy offseason.

New York Rangers forward Bobby Holik justifies an $8.75m salary by winning the offensive player of the week. His stat line 4Gp, 2 G, 4 A, 6pts, +2, 8.00 rating.
Defensive player goes to Colorado Avalanche GK Tommy Salo who had 2 GP with 1 shutout and 1 win.

Oct 22, 2003
Ott 4 @ Pho 2
Flr 1 @ Phi 3
Car 1 @ NJ 4
Cbs 2 @ Cgy 2
NYR 2 @ LA 4
Det 3 @ Stl 0

Oct 23, 2003
Tam 4 @ Det 6
Ott 3 @ Ana 1
Van 2 @ Min 6
Car 3 @ Tor 5
Nas 3 @ Dal 3
Pit 4 @ Buf 5
Was 4 @ Mon 2
Bos 2 @ SJ 4
Chi 2 @ Atl 2

Oct 24, 2003
Phi 3 @ NJ 3
Col 2 @ Flr 1
Bos 1 @ LA 3
Pho 3 @ Stl 4 (ot)

Game #6 Columbus @ Edmonton
Markkanen gets the start, and gets beat by Manny Malhotra at 4:43, but the goalpost keeps things even. That is until rookie Justin Aikins scores his first NHL goal at 6:34 from Holzinger and Malhotra to make it 1-0. Ethan Moreau reinjures his knee and is forced to the dressing room early in the 1st. After that, it’s all Edmonton though, as Torres evens things up at 10:20, Reasoner adds his first of the year at 12:42, and Dvorak gets the insurance at 18:19 for a 3-1 1st period lead. Jason Chimera, playing in place of the injured Petr Nedved scores just 48 seconds into the 2nd, and Brad Isbister adds his 5th of the year before Columbus is able to respond again in the 2nd, for the 5-2 lead going into the 3rd. That’s when the wheels fall off Marc Denis wagon, and he lets in 5 3rd period goals, (Horcoff, 2 by Smyth, Hemsky and Torres the goal scorers) with only Malhotra replying for Columbus, and we skate to a convincing 10-3 win.
Game Stats Columbus – Edmonton
Shots 19 – 39
PP 0/3 – 0/5
PIM 14 – 10
Stars 1) Smyth 2) Torres 3) Brewer

Nothing like a good game against Columbus to cure a 2 game winless streak.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:11 AM   #15
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Detroit offers up my first trade proposal of my managerial career, trying to pry D Jeff Woywitka for journeyman G Marc Lamothe. That’s just not going to happen anytime soon.

Moreau is out 10 days with a twisted knee, so Jamie Wright gets called up from the Toronto Roadrunners. Oates’ condition is critical after playing against Columbus, so he won’t be able to play the next day against Vancouver, forcing both Wright and Jarred Stoll into the lineup against the Canucks. Chimera will be our 2nd line center, while Reasoner moves to the 3rd line, and Stoll centers Wright and Laraque on the 4th.

Oct 25, 2003
Was 2 @ Ott 1
Min 1 @ Chi 3
Mon 0 @ Buf 2
NJ 2 @ Pit 4
Stl 2 @ NYI 4
Car 1 @ NYR 4
Flr 0 @ Atl 4
Pho 3 @ Det 5
Tor 3 @ Phi 2
Nas 1 @ SJ 2
Ana 2 @ Dal 3
Col 5 @ Tam 2

Game #7 Edmonton @ Vancouver
DiPietro is back in net and he is sharp on all 12 1st period shots the Canucks throw at him. Some excellent forechecking by Shawn Horcoff grabs his 5th goal of the season as he steals the puck of Dan Cloutier and jams it in the open net just 1:15 in the period. Mike York collects his 1st of the year on a breakaway with 3:14 left in the period for a 2-0 lead. Brad Isbister continues to impress as he beats Cloutier on the glove side just 23 seconds into the 2nd period. Raffi Torres follows up with his 5th of the year on the backhand before Vancouver answers with 2 quick goals of their own, by Chris Nielsen and Markus Naslund just 4 mins apart. But Hemsky puts the breaks on the Canuck comeback with a 30 yard wrist shot that handcuffs Cloutier for the 5-2 lead. Vancouver closes the gap in the 3rd, with a powerplay goal by Naslund at 3:57, but Hemsky answers again, this time with 2 quick goals just 22 seconds apart for the hattrick and a 7-3 lead. The Canucks apply pressure, and Rucinsky and Chubarov both reply to pull them back to within 2, but it is far from enough for the 7-5 Oiler win.
Game Stats Edmonton – Vancouver
Shots 29 – 31
PP 0/3 – 1/5
PIM 12 – 8
Stars 1) Hemsky 2) Isbister 3) Horcoff
Old 08-03-2004, 01:15 AM   #16
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

How does the draft work? Been there yet?
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:20 AM   #17
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnMikeBrown
How does the draft work? Been there yet?
No, I haven't. But Karim is pretty close to the draft in his dynasty. You might ask him. At the pace I'm going it will be awhile
Old 08-03-2004, 05:09 AM   #18
Karim
College Starter

Funny this came up because I just posted some draft observations in my dynasty.

Hey klayman,

What's with that "Oilers hockey"? 10-3, 7-5 - Yuck!
Old 08-03-2004, 09:11 AM   #19
Blade
College Prospect

Great read so far!!!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:36 PM   #20
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hey klayman,

What's with that "Oilers hockey"? 10-3, 7-5 - Yuck!

High flying Oiler hockey baby. That's what it is all about. Hell, you remember the Lemelin and Don Edwards days as a Flame fan, don't you? I'm sure we had a couple of those scorelines down south
Old 08-03-2004, 06:37 PM   #21
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
Great read so far!!!

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:50 PM   #22
bbor
Pro Starter

What's with all these western team dynasties?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:01 AM   #23
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
What's with all these western team dynasties?

We just thought that you might be interested in reading about a team that actually has a chance to get to the Stanley Cup final
Old 08-04-2004, 12:32 AM   #24
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
We just thought that you might be interested in reading about a team that actually has a chance to get to the Stanley Cup final

K-man=still living in the 80's

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:39 AM   #25
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Oct 26, 2003
Nas 4 @ LA 5 (ot)
Bos 0 @ Min 5
Ana 3 @ Cgy 2

Nolan Pratt agrees to a 3year/$2.25m contract securing his services until 2006. Pratt has played fairly well so far this season with 3 points in 7 games and a +4 rating. Ales Hemsky, leading the team in scoring with 11 points (5+6), gets some recognition from a leading Ice Hockey publication. He is said to be a promising player who should have a bright future, and with his successful start to the season this year, I’m forced to agree.

Oct 27, 2003
Buf 3 @ NYR 0
Atl 1 @ Ott 3

Jeff Woywitka signs a new deal, a 4 year/$1.2m that keeps him here until 2007. That brings our grand total of players under contract next season to 5.

Oct 28, 2003
Dal 1 @ Car 7
LA 2 @ NYI 4

Game #8 Edmonton @ Minnesota
Oates is good to go after his 1 game rest, and Jamie Wright heads back into the pressbox. Minnesota’s only real offensive threat, Marian Gaborik, is out for 2 more weeks with a fractured shin sustained at the start of the season and will miss this game. Minnesota strike first, 2:57 into the 1st, when Jason Wiemer wrists home a 20 footer for the 1-0 lead. Radek Dvorak ties things up with a nice end to end rush at 9:10 of the 1st, his 4th of the year. Some penalty trouble give Minnesota the momentum in the 2nd period, but DiPietro is steady in net, keeping the game tied until Brad Isbister gets his 7th of the year, beating Dwayne Roloson glove side on the breakaway at 7:59 of the 2nd. More penalty trouble for the Oilers, and Minnesota finally capitalize at 18:40, seconds after Horcoff gets out of the box, when Laaksonen beats DiPietro from close range to make it 2-2. We stay out of penalty trouble in the 3rd period, and the result is a Raffi Torres goal off a Horcoff rebound at 8:04 to put us up by 1 once again. Brad Isbister ices the game with his 2nd on the night at 13:37, as DiPietro stops all 5 shots by Minnesota to grab the 4-2 Oiler win.
Game Stats Edmonton – Minnesota
Shots 22 – 27
PP 0/5 – 0/8
PIM 26 – 20
Stars 1) Wiemer 2) Oates 3) DiPietro

What's up with Brad Isbister? He's on pace for 82 goals this season.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:45 AM   #26
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
K-man=still living in the 80's
Better than 1967

Last edited by klayman : 08-04-2004 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:27 AM   #27
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Better than 1967

Why you always gotta hurt me

Old 08-04-2004, 03:58 PM   #28
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Why you always gotta hurt me

You always hurt the ones you love
Old 08-04-2004, 05:35 PM   #29
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Ales Hemsky wins Offensive Player of the week, while Washington GK Olaf Kolzig gets the Defensive Player of the week award.

Oct 29, 2003
Pit 4 @ NJ 3
LA 0 @ Was 2
Cbs 3 @ StL 3
Flr 1 @ NYR 5

Game #9 Edmonton @ Phoenix
We finish off a 3 game road trip and Markkanen starts in net, and both Oates and Pratt are out of the lineup for fitness, with Jamie Wright and Igor Ulanov taking their roster spots. A wide open first period results in no goal scoring, as both Markkanen and Brian Boucher are at the top of their games. Not much changes in the 2nd, and both teams are 0/4 on the powerplay, although the we have a majority of the chances to score. That sets the stage for a wild 3rd period. Ivan Novoseltsev gets his 1st goal for Phoenix on the PP just 1:03 into the 3rd, and seconds later Markkanen is injured and has to come off the ice. With DiPietro in net, Phoenix add another PP marker, this one by David Tanabe for the 2-0 lead. Cue the comeback, and from an unlikely source as George Laraque is the first to solve Boucher with a backhander at 9:54. The 4th line continues to impress as Jamie Wright gets his 1st goal as an Oiler with a 20 foot wrist shot that beats Boucher on the glove side at 12:17. But Novoseltsev adds another goal at 14:43, and with DiPietro pulled for the extra attacker, Mike Johnson makes it 4-2 with an empty netter. Raffi Torres gives us hope for another comeback with a quick goal with only 43 seconds left, his 7th of the season, but Ladislav Nagy grabs his 1st of the year with 1 second left in the game on the empty netter for a 5-3 Phoenix win.
Game Stats Edmonton – Phoenix
Shots 31 – 29
PP 0/5 – 2/5
PIM 12 – 12
Stars 1) Novoseltsev 2) Scott Ferguson 3) Tanabe

Markkanen is out with a stubbed finger. Suck it up, buddy. It’s only a couple of days, but I can’t put him on IR, so I’m forced to move Ethan Moreau to the IR so I have room to recall Zac Bierk from Toronto just in case Markkanen isn’t 100% for the next match.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #30
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Oct 30, 2003
Buf 0 @ Tor 5
Det 1 @ Van 6
Atl 2 @ Col 1
Stl 4 @ Chi 4
Ott 1 @ Bos 1
Car 2 @ NYI 5
Dal 2 @ Tam 4
Flr 1 @ Mon 4
NJ 2 @ Nas 4
Cgy 2 @ SJ 2
NYR 2 @ Phi 4

Oct 31, 2003
Atl 5 @ Was 4 (ot)
Cgy 1 @ Ana 3

NJ’s John Madden win October’s Offensive Player of the Month award, while Washington’s Brendan Witt grabs Defensive Player of the Month honors. San Jose’s Niko Dimitrakos is October’s Rookie of the Month.

Nov 1, 2003
Min 1 @ Phi 3
LA 2 @ Pit 2
Tor 1 @ NJ 3
Bos 2 @ Mon 6
Nas 5 @ Cbs 2
Pho 4 @ Chi 3
NYR 2 @ Ott 4
NYI 4 @ Buf 2
Was 1 @ Col 3
Car 1 @ Tam 8
Dal 6 @ Flr 2
Ana 3 @ SJ 2
Stl 1 @ Van 3

Game #10 Detroit @ Edmonton
DiPietro gets the start, Bierk is on the bench. Oates and Pratt are back in the lineup, and Ulanov stays in for a tired Cory Cross. Jamie Wright is back in the pressbox as well, although I like what I’m seeing from him so far. That might mean Stoll or another defenseman goes down when Moreau comes off the IR. The 1st period is all Detroit, but DiPietro is strong and only allows one goal, Shanahan getting his 5th of the season at 8:05. I change up the lines a bit, putting Oates on the 1st line and York on the 2nd, in an effort to get the 1st line going a bit. Penalty trouble for us keeps Detroit in control of the game, but DiPietro is our best penalty killer on the night and keeps us in the game until Marty Reasoner gets out of the penalty box, and his 30 foot slapshot handcuffs Hasek to even the score at 11:15 of the 2nd. Changes to lines pay off, but not for the 1st line, as Mike York is dominating in the 2nd period, and he sets up Brad Isbister at 18:44 for the 2-1 lead. We outshoot Detroit 9-3 in the 3rd period, and with Hasek pulled, Adam Oates finds the empty net with 50 seconds remaining for the 3-1 Oiler win.
Game Stats Detroit – Edmonton
Shots 20 – 18
PP 0/4 – 0/3
PIM 11 – 13
Stars 1)DiPietro 2) York 3) Brewer
Old 08-04-2004, 07:33 PM   #31
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Shanahan getting his 5th of the season at 8:05. I change up the lines a bit, putting Oates on the 1st line and York on the 2nd, in an effort to get the 1st line going a bit.

Are you playing the games in-full or just simming?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:03 PM   #32
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Are you playing the games in-full or just simming?
playing them in full.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #33
klayman
College Benchwarmer

NoNameGPGAP+/-PIMSOGShAv R
83Hemsky, Ales105813862420.87.7
15Isbister, Brad1092113436257.3
14Torres, Raffi10718542429.27
77Oates, Adam82686610207.5
10Horcoff, Shawn105274420256.9
19Reasoner, Marty10257381315.47.1
28Chimera, Jason9336721421.46.89
94Smyth, Ryan10336102213.67.2
16York, Mike1015616137.77.3
20Dvorak, Radek10415122416.76.9
23Cross, Cory804455407
24Staios, Steve100441015807.3
27Laraque, Georges10123425156.76.6
93Nedved, Petr512312616.77
32Ferguson, Scott10123514911.17.4
2Brewer, Eric10033441307.1
5Pratt, Nolan903336807.11
36Stoll, Jarret402214106.5
12Wright, Jamie2101104257
21Smith, Jason10101427911.17.1
18Moreau, Ethan2000-17306
55Ulanov, Igor300012506.67
29DiPietro, Rick8000000-7.25
30Markkanen, Jussi3000000-7.67
1Bierk, Zac0000000-----
Old 08-07-2004, 10:32 PM   #34
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Name

GP
W
L
T
Mins
GAA
SV%
SO
Av R
Rick DiPietro85304353.030.88707.25
Jussi Markkanen32001631.840.93007.65

NHL Standings @ Nov 1, 2003
Eastern Conference
PosTeamPldWonLstTieOTLPctGFGAPts
1stWashington1182010.773342517
2ndOttawa1163110.636262014
3rdPittsburgh1053200.600332812
4thBuffalo1264200.583333114
5thToronto1254300.542282413
6thNY Islanders953100.611322511
7thNew Jersey1044200.500322910
8thBoston1246200.417404210
9thAtlanta1145200.455283210
10thPhiladelphia1045100.45028329
11thTampa Bay832210.56331249
12thCarolina1046000.40027348
13thMontreal934200.44425268
14thNY Rangers1137100.31830357
15thFlorida1228200.25021426

Western Conference

PosTeamPldWonLstTieOTLPctGFGAPts
1stColorado1293000352518
2ndLos Angeles1263211382915
3rdNashville1253311413614
4thAnaheim1162211312615
5thEdmonton1073000462914
6thDallas1153300343413
7thVancouver1055000413710
8thDetroit1156000303410
9thPhoenix1145111293610
10thChicago103430025259
11thCalgary113530028339
12thSan Jose103430024319
13thColumbus103520025408
14thSt. Louis112540026338
15thMinnesota103610021257

Edit: I've tried to make sure that the tables are visable in all vBulletin color schemes. Let me know if that isn't the case.

Last edited by klayman : 08-07-2004 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:31 PM   #35
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Veteran Adam Graves makes a return to Edmonton as he signs a 2 year/ $1.62 Million dollar contract. At 35 his best days are behind him, but he can still provide some depth for us on the wings. With Graves’ signing, Jarret Stoll finds himself back on the farm in Toronto, where he will get more ice time playing on the top line to aid his development.

Nov 2, 2003
Min 3 @ NYI 4 (ot)
Ott 3 @ Car 1
Chi 2 @ Pho 7
LA 1 @ Nas 3
Dal 2 @ Atl 1

Nov 3, 2003
Mon 1 @ Pit 4
Stl 3 @ Cgy 0

Nov 4, 2003
Pho 1 @ NYI 6
Col 5 @ Min 1
LA 2 @ Cbs 2
Was 1 @ Tam 4
NJ 3 @ Ott 5
Van 0 @ Buf 5

Game #11 St. Louis @ Edmonton
Pavel Demitra has a groin strain and is out for this match up, along with Al MacInnis and Barret Jackman for the Blues. Jussi Markkanen is still not close to 100%, so Bierk continues to deputize for DiPietro. Our other lineup changes include Jamie Wright in for Adam Oates, Cross back in for Ulanov, and Adam Graves replaces Jarret Stoll. With so many changes I get the chance to clear the lines and ask MacTavish’s opinion of what they should be. Amazingly, he picks the same lines that I had penciled down. He knows who’s buttering his bread. DiPietro is under siege for most of the 1st period, despite the injuries to the Blues. Pronger gets his 2nd of the year, followed closely by Scott Mellanby who adds his 2nd and 3rd of the season before Radek Dvorak responds with his 5th of the season with at 16:44 for the 3-1 St. Louis lead. Raffi Torres picks up his 8th of the season on the PP at 6:03 of the 2nd period to pull within one. Adam Graves draws an assist on the play for his first point as an Oiler in over 12 years. With the momentum clearly in our favor, rookie goaltender Reinhard Divis continually comes up with the big saves keeping us off the scoreboard for the rest of the period. We continue our pressure into the 3rd period, but Divis continues to work his magic, and at 15:52, Scott Pellerin gets his 5th of the season on a breakaway for insurance. Marty Reasoner replies instantly with a scramble in front, but with DiPietro pulled Mike Sillinger gets his 1st goal for St. Louis to finish a 5-3 St. Louis win.
Game Stats St. Louis – Edmonton
Shots 29 – 31
PP 0/2 – 1/4
PIM 15 – 11
Stars 1) Sillinger 2) Mellanby 3) Pronger
Old 08-08-2004, 01:13 AM   #36
klayman
College Benchwarmer

NYI F Alexei Yashin wins the Offensive Player of the week, while Anaheim’s D Lance Ward wins the Defensive Player of the week award.

Nov 5, 2003
Atl 3 @ Bos 5
Cgy 0 @ Chi 2
Dal 4 @ Phi 3
SJ 2 @ Flr 4

New Jersey trades former Oiler D Sean Brown to Minnesota for G Frederic Cloutier and the rights to D Georgi Misharin.

Ethan Moreau comes off the IR fully healed from his twisted knee, and with Markkanen nearing game shape, Zac Bierk finds himself back in the AHL to make room for Moreau on the roster.

Nov 6, 2003
Pho 1 @ Pit 3
Was 1 @ NYR 1
Ana 2 @ Min 4
Cgy 4 @ Cbs 2
NYI 1 @ Car 3
SJ 2 @ Tam 3
Dal 3 @ Tor 5
Van 0 @ Mon 5

With several changes to the roster, and with the 1st line so unproductive I decide to mix up the lines for the next match.
1. Smyth – Oates – Hemsky
2. Isbister – York – Torres
3. Graves – Reasoner – Dvorak
4. Moreau – Horcoff – Laraque

D1 Ferguson – Brewer
D2 Cross – Pratt
D3 Staios – Smith

PP1 Pratt – Brewer – Smyth – York – Hemsky
PP2 Cross – Staios – Isbister – Horcoff – Torres
PK1 Smith – Pratt – Smyth – Torres
PK2 Cross – Brewer – Moreau – Horcoff

Nov 7, 2003
Atl 0 @ Det 5
Nas 3 @ Chi 1
Ott 1 @ Phi 2
NJ 3 @ Flr 2
Buf 3 @ Bos 3

Game #12 Colorado @ Edmonton
Mike York starts things off with a PP goal at 7:14, beating Tommy Salo for his 200th point as an Oiler and Ryan Smyth draws an assist to break a 6 game point drought, his 200th assist of his career. The Avs reply right back, with a PP goal of their own at 7:59, Hejduk from Kariya and Forsberg, before DiPietro melts again and lets Kariya score another just 14 seconds later for the lead. Dan Hinote gets his 2nd of the year at 14:59 for the 3-1 Colorado lead. The 2nd period starts off great, as we apply all sorts of pressure, but Tommy Salo is unusually sound this match, and robs several players with key saves early. Matthew Barnaby kills the momentum with his 2nd goal at 10:56, just seconds after a Staios penalty ended, and Paul Kariya adds another on the powerplay at 15:13 to chase DiPietro from the pipes in favor of Markkanen. Forsberg and Hejduk add goals in the 3rd period, but this one was over a long time before that as Tommy Salo stops 27 of 28 shots for the easy 7-1 Colorado win.
Game Stats Colorado – Edmonton
Shots 27 – 28
PP 2/5 – 1/3
PIM 11 – 15
Stars 1) Forsberg 2) Kariya 3) Salo
Old 08-12-2004, 05:18 PM   #37
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Nov 8, 2003
NYR 1 @ NYI 5
Pho 1 @ Tor 5
Col 1 @ Cgy 5
LA 1 @ Anh 5
Flr 3 @ Cbs 3
Van 3 @ Ott 1
Bos 1 @ Buf 4
Phi 5 @ Mon 3
Atl 1 @ Pit 6
Dal 3 @ Was 3
SJ 1 @ Car 7
NJ 5 @ Tam 2
Chi 3 @ Stl 3

Nov 9, 2003
Tam 3 @ Car 1
Ana 3 @ LA 5
Min 0 @ Nas 5

Game #13 Edmonton @ Detroit
Raffi Torres is in the pressbox after a -3 rating last game, and Chimera takes his spot in the lineup. Markkanen gets the start as well after a shaky performance by DiPietro in the last game. Hemsky is all over the ice in the first period, and his aggression pays off as he strips Jason Woolley and slips the wristshot through Lagace’s pads for the 1-0 lead at 7:08. Isbister makes it 2-0 with his 10th of the season off a goal mouth scramble at 11:09 before Steve Yzerman responds to pull Detroit back to within one only one minute later. Shawn Horcoff beats Legace on a breakaway at 13:06 to regain the 2 goal advantage before Dvorak strips Lidstrom of the puck and finds the net with 1:34 left in the period. Robert Lang closes the lead to 2 off a Ray Whitney rebound just 10 seconds into the 2nd period. Penalty trouble for us allows the momentum to favor Detroit, but Lang’s goal is the only goal of the 2nd period, as Jussi shuts the door. Marty Reasoner gets his 4th of the season from Graves and Dvorak 25 seconds into the 3rd, giving us some much needed insurance as Detroit pours on the pressure. Shanahan gets his 6th of the season on the PP at 7:21, and Detroit throw 17 3rd period shots at Markkanen, but the Shanahan goal is the only to slip through, and we escape with a 5-3 Oiler win.
Game Stats Edmonton – Detroit
Shots 22 – 33
PP 0/6 – 1/6
PIM 17 – 17
Stars 1) Lang 2) Shanahan 3) Markkanen

Last edited by klayman : 08-15-2004 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:38 AM   #38
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Nov 10, 2003
Van 2 @ NYI 8
SJ 6 @ Was 2
Nas 2 @ Stl 4

Captain Jason Smith is out for a week after picking up olecranon bursitis in practice. In other words, an inflamed elbow. Of course, olecranon bursitis sounds much more fascinating.

Nov 11, 2003
Van 2 @ Tor 9
Cgy 2 @ Col 4
Det 4 @ Buf 1
Pit 2 @ NYR 1
Min 0 @ Dal 4
Mon 4 @ Atl 3
Tam 2 @ Flr 4
The New York Islanders make a minor trade with Colorado, sending the rights to D Cody Blanshan and a 2nd round pick (2004) to the Avs for F Marek Svatos.

NJ’s F Brian Gionta wins the offensive player of the week award, while Cbs’s D Jaroslav Spacek wins the defensive player of the week award.

Nov 12, 2003
Phi 1 @ Bos 2
NJ 4 @ NYI 2
Car 0 @ Was 6
Stl 1 @ Pho 4
Ott 2 @ LA 2

Game #14 Edmonton @ Nashville
Ulanov comes in for the injured Smith, and Torres comes back after being a healthy scratch, as Laraque goes up to the press box. Markkanen has outplayed DiPietro so far this year, but he is too tired to start another game (lingering effects from his injury), so DiPietro gets the start. Nashville spend 14 mins of the 1st period on the powerplay, and dominate the play. Former Oiler Tony Hrkac grabs the first goal of the game, his 5th of the season 7:54, before Steve Sullivan adds a powerplay marker at 13:36 for the 2-0 lead. We only receive 3 penalties in the 2nd period (marking 10 straight against us) but it is enough to disrupt our offensive game, and we muster hardly any pressure on Nashville. DiPietro is stellar to keep us in the game, however. The 3rd is much the same, as Scott Walker adds another power play goal at 13:36 and Tomas Vokoun records the shutout with a measly 12 saves for the 3-0 Nashville win.
Game Stats Edmonton – Nashville
Shots 12 – 35
PP 0/2 – 2/13
PIM 31 – 9
Stars 1) Vokoun 2) Sullivan 3) Johansson

Referee Stephen Walkom gets an ear full after the game. I hardly care about any fine in the face of such biased refereeing. The guys handing out the 3 stars must be on dope as well, giving a 12 save shutout performance 1st star.

Last edited by klayman : 08-15-2004 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #39
Karim
College Starter

My only tirade enabled me to overturn a suspension to Iginla. It'll be interesting to see if the NHL "admits" anything or if you receive retaliation.

How did Torres fair against Nashville after his night in the pressbox?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:05 PM   #40
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Complaining didn't seem to do much. The NHL agreed that the performance was poor and they would keep a closer eye on Walkom's games in the future.

As for Torres, he didn't get a lot of ice time since I moved him off the PK and we spent a lot of time killing penalties. Next to DiPietro though, he was probably the best Oiler on the night, and lead the team with 3 shots.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:26 AM   #41
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Nov 13, 2003
Buf 1 @ Pit 5
Van 0 @ Col 5 (Van final game of a six game road trip. 1-5-0 with 33 goals against)
Min 1 @ Ana 7
Cgy 5 @ NYR 3
Atl 5 @ Car 3
Det 4 @ Mon 2
Flr 1 @ Phi 3
Ott 2 @ SJ 5
Cbs 3 @ Dal 7

Game #15 Edmonton @ Chicago
Several changes to the lineup as fitness is becoming a problem. Nolan Pratt is out and with Smith still battling a sore elbow, Jamie Wright is sent back down to Toronto and Alexei Semenov is called up to take Pratt’s spot. Shawn Horcoff is out and Laraque is back in. Markkanen gets the start in net as well. We are thoroughly outplayed in the 1st period, getting outshot 20 – 3, but Jussi stands tall and we escape the period with a scoreless draw. The 2nd period is vastly improved, although some penalty difficulty limits our chances, and we hold Chicago to only 4 shots while collecting 6 ourselves, but both Markkanen and Thibault keep the puck out of the net. At 5:29 of the 3rd, Raffi Torres steals the puck in behind the net from Steve McCarthy, and his wraparound beats Thibault through the five hole for the 1-0 lead. Torres 10th point and 9th goal of the season. Scott Nichol replies for the Hawks at 11:29, his 4th of the year to even things up, and we head into overtime as neither team can break the deadlock in regulation. Tyler Arnason gets a penalty shot in overtime as Ryan Smyth catches him in the face with a stick just as he is about to score. Arnason completely fools Markkanen on the penalty shot, but the crafty Finn somehow gets his stick back on the ice to make the save and preserve the 1-1 draw.
Game Stats Edmonton – Chicago
Shots 17 – 37
PP 0/1 – 0/9
PIM 28 – 2
Stars 1) Markkanen 2) Thibault 3) Strudwick

NY Rangers chairman James Dolan announces that GM Glen Sather’s job is safe, despite a last place showing so far by the club.

Last edited by klayman : 08-15-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:27 AM   #42
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Nov 14, 2003
Tam 1 @ Was 1
Tor 2 @ Det 2
Stl 1 @ Nas 4
Ana 4 @ Pho 2
NJ 3 @ Bos 1

SJ claims D Sven Butenschon off waivers from the NY Islanders. Strictly a depth move for the struggling Sharks who sit 11th in the West.

With only 1 win in our last 5, I’ve begun to look around the league for some help. My target right now is Phoenix Coyotes’ F Shane Doan, in an effort to correct the horrible mistake that was the draft of 1995 (when the Oilers picked Steve Kelly ahead of hometown favorite Doan).

Nov 15, 2003
NYI 4 @ Phi 4
Cbs 0 @ SJ 4
Cgy 5 @ Tor 5
Pho 3 @ Min 3
Ott 0 @ Dal 5
Stl 2 @ Col 0
Buf 3 @ Mon 5
Atl 3 @ NYR 6
Pit 2 @ Chi 5
Was 3 @ Car 4
Flr 1 @ NJ 3

Game #16 Edmonton @ Vancouver
Vancouver is coming off a horrible road trip, and we are in the last game of a not so great road trip ourselves. Pratt and Smith remain in the pressbox, but Laraque comes out for Shawn Horcoff and Markkanen gets the start with the hot hand. Vancouver control the early part of the 1st period, but with Bertuzzi and Morrison in the box, Ryan Smyth capitalizes on the PP at 8:27 to give us the lead. It is his first point in 4 games and first goal in over a month. He then sets up Adam Oates at 11:16 for the 2-0 lead, before Hemsky victimizes Alexander Auld with a backhand at 14:25. Finally the 1st line is producing! Auld comes under fire in the 2nd period, and has to be in top form to rob Smyth again early, but Shawn Horcoff makes it 4-0 as he muscles an Adam Graves rebound through Auld’s legs at 3:38. Markkanen continues to stand tall, stopping all 7 Vancouver shots in the 2nd and we go into the 3rd up by four. Markus Naslund gets his 6th of the year with Semenov in the penalty box to draw Vancouver to within 3 just 4:05 into the 3rd period. Just 3 mins later though, Ryan Smyth picks up his own rebound, and restores the 4 goal lead with his 2nd of the night, 5 of the year, and 10th point of the season, as Markkanen takes us the rest of the way for the 5-1 Oiler win.
Game Stats Edmonton – Vancouver
Shots 19 – 30
PP 1/4 – 1/7
PIM 16 – 10
Stars 1) Smyth 2) Oates 3) Markkanen
Old 08-15-2004, 05:28 PM   #43
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Nov 16, 2003
Flr 6 @ Atl 2
Cbs 3 @ LA 5
Ana 2 @ Det 5
NYI 3 @ Nas 3

Nov 17, 2003
Bos 1 @ Mon 6

Nov 18, 2003
LA 1 @ Min 8
NYR 2 @ Car 3
Nas 3 @ Van 1
Buf 4 @ Cgy 2
NYI 1 @ Dal 4

Game #17 Ottawa @ Edmonton
Patrick Lalime is out with a rotator cuff injury for the Sens. For us, Smith and Pratt are back in the lineup, moving Ulanov and Semenov to the pressbox, while Laraque continues to be a healthy scratch and DiPietro gets the start in net. The early part of the 1st is all Edmonton, but it is Ottawa scoring first as Peter Bondra gets behind the defense for a breakaway and beats DiPietro with the backhand at 8:26. Radek Dvorak replies quickly on the PP at 8:44, and Ryan Smyth beats Martin Prusek at 9:10 to quickly take a 2-1 lead. DiPietro then robs Todd White on a penalty shot to keep us in the lead heading into the 2nd. Penalty trouble hits us in the 2nd, but DiPietro stops all 10 Senator shots in the period, and Ales Hemsky scores on the PP at 11:39 to put us up 3-1 going into the 3rd. More penalty trouble into the 3rd but DiPietro remains exceptional preventing any comeback by Ottawa, and we take the 3-1 Oiler win.
Game Stats Ottawa – Edmonton
Shots 26 – 20
PP 0/10 – 2/6
PIM 12 – 22
Stars 1) DiPietro 2) Smyth 3) Bondra

After a week of negotiations with Phoenix, I’m forced to give up on acquiring Shane Doan, as their asking price is just too high.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:35 PM   #44
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Tor F Mats Sundin takes home the offensive player of the week award, while Det’s D Derian Hatcher gets the dirtiest player of the week award...oops, I mean defensive player of the week award. Obviously the voters have never seen Hatcher actually play.

Nov 19, 2003
Cbs 1 @ Ana 3
Bos 6 @ Phi 2
Col 7 @ NJ 3
Tor 2 @ Atl 4
Pit 1 @ Flr 4
Det 2 @ Stl 1
LA 5 @ Pho 5
Chi 2 @ SJ 4

My favorite trading partner, Mike Milbury phones me up with a trade offer for defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron. He is offering a 5th round pick (2004), D Tomi Pettinen, rights to D Jan Holub, and rights to F Stephan Blaho. Bergeron is stuck behind Semenov and Woywitka in the depth charts, putting him at our 10th defenseman, while Tomi Pettinen is younger, bigger, cheaper, and equally talented. Bergeron isn't likely to see playing time here anytime soon, and will likely get a good look in NY. Sounds like a good deal to me, thanks Mike.

Nov 20, 2003
Was 1 @ Tor 3
Pit 4 @ Tam 5
Ott 1 @ Van 3
Nas 1 @ Cgy 5
Car 3 @ Mon 5
Col 2 @ NYR 4
Stl 3 @ Det 4 (ot)
NYI 0 @ Min 2

Game #18 Buffalo @ Edmonton
Cross, Smyth, and Brewer all have small injuries and they will be scratches for tonight, while Ulanov, Semenov and Laraque take their roster spots. DiPietro starts in net again after a solid outing against Ottawa. Once again we are in control early, but Martin Biron keeps us out of the goal, even stopping Laraque on a penalty shot, and Buffalo score first on the PP, with former Oiler Jochen Hecht getting his 4th of the year at 15:02 of the 1st. Our penalty woes continue giving the Sabers all the momentum in the 2nd period, but Brad Isbister is able to tie things up at 9:03 off a great feed by Mike York during one of the few 5 on 5 moments. After Biron robs Adam Graves on a breakaway, Graves sets up Jason Chimera in the slot, and the backhander beats Biron for Chimera’s 4th of the year at 16:39 for the 2-1 lead into the 3rd. A great play by Raffi Torres sets up Hemsky for his 9th of the season at 1:28 to give us some breathing room, but then Hemsky takes a poor penalty and former Flame Chris Drury draws Buffalo to within one on the PP at 2:29. Raffi Torres quickly gets that one back, his 10th goal of the year, deflecting Ulanov’s shot past a helpless Biron, before Reasoner puts the game away with his 100th career NHL point, a PP goal at 8:11 for the 5-2 Edmonton win.
Game Stats Buffalo – Edmonton
Shots 20 – 23
PP 2/7 – 1/2
PIM 6 – 16
Stars 1) Chimera 2) Ulanov 3) Isbister

NYI trade D Tomi Pettinen, rights to D Jan Holub, rights to F Stephan Blaho, and 5th round pick (2004) to Edmonton for D Marc-Andre Bergeron
Old 08-20-2004, 01:36 AM   #45
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Some excellent timing to the NYI trade, as NYI D Kenny Jonsson goes on the IR with a UCL tear. Our current 3 game winning streak has the board smiling, but their grins get bigger on the news that Petr Nedved has resumed light training after his dislocated shoulder injury and should be back with the team before Christmas. Nothing displeases the board more than paying a player $4.2 million to sit at home and have sex with his model wife.

Nov 21, 2003
Dal 3 @ Ana 3
NJ 2 @ Phi 4
Chi 2 @ LA 4
SJ 2 @ Pho 6
Atl 2 @ Flr 4
Car 3 @ Bos 1

Vancouver trades F Jason King and the rights to D Kevin Bieksa to Phoenix for the rights to D Matt Jones and a 2nd round pick (2004) acquired from New Jersey.

Chicago trades F Mikhail Yakubov to Calgary for the rights to F Jamie Tardif and a 2nd round pick (2006).

Nov 22, 2003
Buf 1 @ Van 4
Tor 3 @ NYR 5
Flr 1 @ Was 1
Pho 2 @ Cbs 2
SJ 1 @ Min 10
Ott 1 @ Cgy 1
Stl 0 @ Col 2
Pit 2 @ Det 3
Mon 2 @ NJ 5
Bos 1 @ Tam 6
Chi 2 @ Dal 8

Game #19 Nashville @ Edmonton
Cross is back in for Semenov, while Smyth is not at 100% but dresses anyway in place of Adam Graves, who is a healthy scratch. Brewer is still out for fitness, and DiPietro continues to start after 2 solid performances. We control most of the play in the 1st period, but have still been unable to solve Vokoun in 4 periods of play this season. Scott Walker scores on the PP at 7:00 in the 1st to give Nashville the 1-0 lead into the 2nd period. Mike York finally solves Vokoun when he redirects a Jason Smith shot into the net at 6:10 to put us on even terms. We run into a string of penalty trouble, but DiPietro is playing superb, and keeps Nashville off the board. At 17:15, with Oates in the box, York finds Hemsky, and the youngster gets his 10th of the year shorthanded for the 2-1 lead. Penalty trouble follows us into the 3rd, but Nashville is unable to take advantage, and despite a tense last min with Ferguson in the penalty box and Vokoun on the bench for the extra attacker, we hold on for the 2-1 Edmonton win.
Game Stats Nashville – Edmonton
Shots 21 – 16
PP 1/10 – 0/2
PIM 4 – 20
Stars 1) DiPietro 2) Mike York 3) Jason Smith

Despite a 5-3 win over Toronto, Glen Sather is running out of time in New York, and it is rumored that a bad result against New Jersey in their next game could cost him his job.