Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2004, 09:37 PM   #1
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Knicks get Jamal Crawford

I didn't see a thread on this already, so here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1853011

For those of you down on the Knicks, cheer up as Crawford is one of the good young players and should help New York get a little younger.

For those of you riding high on the Knicks, bear in mind that New York has managed to corral yet another bad contract in this process in Jerome Williams.

Figure that about covers it

Last edited by Arles : 08-05-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:44 PM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

I don't profess to be a BBall expert, but ya gotta admire the way Isiah has reshaped a team that was in a real bad way when he took over. I don't know if they're any better than they were but at least now they have a little bit of marquee.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:58 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
I don't profess to be a BBall expert, but ya gotta admire the way Isiah has reshaped a team that was in a real bad way when he took over. I don't know if they're any better than they were but at least now they have a little bit of marquee.

LOL. And many, many years of mediocre players with GIGANTIC contracts to deal with.

There are plenty of first round playoff exits to look forward to.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:15 PM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
LOL. And many, many years of mediocre players with GIGANTIC contracts to deal with.

There are plenty of first round playoff exits to look forward to.

Yeah, but didn't they have that same thing when he took over? At least now they have NY Name value in Marbery and some youth.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:19 PM   #5
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

From the Bulls perspective, I am not sure why they did this. Yes, Crawford plays no defense and can't shoot and is selfish BUT he is still young and had a couple of 40 point games last year and with some patience could develop into a great player. After all as much of a pain as he was, he was the top point scorer on the team. I think a 3 guard rotation of Hinrich, Crawford and Gordon could have been very productive. As it is now the bulls have salary cap space for next year. Whoopee. Wasn't that the same brilliant strategy behind the forcing out of Jordan? And who did we get out of it? Ron friggin Mercer.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:49 PM   #6
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I think it was a solid deal for the Bulls. Crawford was the highest scorer on a very lousy team. He did not play any defense which completely soured both Paxson and Skiles. And there was not a single other team in the league willing to give Crawford even the MLE, and NYK went ahead and gave him $56 million dollars, if the Bulls had matched that, it would have just been another albatross contract.

From my point of view, we traded a player who we didn't really want in the first place, and on top of that got rid of a very bad contract. And I think Frank Williams is a quality NBA PG also. I like the move.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 01:23 AM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Finally this stupid ass trade goes through. After hearing about this for over 6 weeks, I could only assume that Isiah wanted to have Crawfords baby, with all the love he was showing JC.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:48 AM   #8
hoopsguy
General Manager

New York, good luck with Crawford. One stat that gets thrown out in regards to him is that he had the worst ratio of 3-point shots to free throws in the league. It isn't that he can't get to the basket, because he can. But he is infatuated with his shot. He will abandon a set offense to freelance too quickly, misses a ton of off-balance shots, and just doesn't run the point in anything resembling a true 1. His defense has gone from non-existant to just tragically bad over the past few seasons. He will have games where he goes for 30, but is he even outscoring his man on these nights?

Also, the Jerome Williams contract is particularly brutal. I believe there are 3-4 seasons remaining on it. Nice to have an energy guy in the lineup (although Junkyard Dog is now an aging energy guy) but not at this pricetag. The Bulls picked up expiring contracts, providing them the opportunity to get turned down by free agents again in the 2005 offseason.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Daimyo
College Starter

I think its a very nice deal for the Bulls. Crawford seems to me like a younger Jalen Rose.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
rufusjonz
Banned

marbury sucks

Another selfish player for the knicks -- but overall i think its a pretty good trade...hes young with lots of points ahead of him.

BUT Marbury...i recently saw a Bill James-type analysis of the most over-rated under-rated players in the NBA and he was near the top...it was based a lot on how the team performs with him in the lineup vs. other lineup combinations. Francis and Stackhouse were also rated poorly, based on 1-2 year old data i think.
rufusjonz is offline   Reply With Quote