Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2004, 12:21 AM   #1
PilotMan
Head Coach

Eric Gagne's Streak over at 84.

Hadn't seen it posted yet. *sniff* Nice Job!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=240705119

Los Angeles 6, Arizona 5, 10 innings
Preview - Box Score - Recap

July 6, 2004

AP - Jul 6, 12:05 am EDT
More Photos
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Eric Gagne's streak of 84 consecutive saves ended against the same team he couldn't hold off two years ago: the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Gagne's major league-record streak ended Monday night when he blew a two-run lead for the Los Angeles Dodgers, who came back to beat Arizona 6-5 in 10 innings.

Gagne relieved with a 5-3 lead at the start of the ninth but allowed pinch-hitter Luis Gonzalez's RBI double and Chad Tracy's run-scoring single on an 0-2 pitch that went past the glove of a diving first baseman Olmedo Saenz. Both hits came off changeups.

``I never really thought about the streak at all,'' Gagne said. ``I'm not really relieved about it, but it was so much fun to be a part of it.''

Realizing that Gagne's streak was over, the crowd of 32,929 at Dodger Stadium gave Gagne a standing ovation as he stood on the mound with his head down.

``He had a great run,'' Gonzalez said. ``The Dodgers have had a great run of pitchers with streaks -- Orel Hershiser with his scoreless inning streak, and this one with the saves.

``Gagne did a fantastic job, but finally we got over the hump to get him to blow a save out there. There was one team out there that was eventually going to break it.''

Dave Roberts singled in the 10th off Greg Aquino (0-1), making his second big league appearance. Cesar Izturis sacrificed, Milton Bradley was intentionally walked, and Adrian Beltre walked, loading the bases.

Randy Choate relieved and gave up Shawn Green's sacrifice fly.

``That's about as untouchable a streak as what DiMaggio did, Orel, Cal Ripken ... There's not much you can say,'' Green said. ``It's not something that's going to last forever. It just seems as if it will.''

Giovanni Carrara (1-0) got the win by getting the final out of the 10th.

Gagne had not blown a save chance since David Dellucci hit a tying double on Aug. 26, 2002.

``I would think that everybody would want to be the one that broke the streak,'' Tracy said. ``I mean, you know about the success he's had. But if you're intimidated, you're done already. I know that he likes to throw that changeup, and it's tough to stay back on when you see 97.''

AP - Jul 5, 11:56 pm EDT
More Photos
During the streak, Gagne blew the lead in the 2003 All-Star game when he allowed a home run to the Texas Rangers' Hank Blalock, but that exhibition game didn't count in the statistics.

Gagne's record was 30 more than the previous mark of 54, set by Tom Gordon for Boston from April 19, 1998 to June 5, 1999.

The Montreal native set the mark Sept. 2 against Houston, part of his perfect 55-save season last year. He has 21 this season.

``I've got a job to do tomorrow. You can't worry about today,'' Gagne said. ``You've got to start all over every day.''

Arizona's Steve Finley hit his 20th homer, a three-run shot in the third inning. Olmedo Saenz hit a three-run homer for the Dodgers, and Milton Bradley hit a two-run drive.

Wilson Alvarez of the Dodgers allowed three runs and five hits over six innings in his first start since May 23. Alvarez was back in the rotation because of Hideo Nomo's rotator cuff injury.

Arizona's Brandon Webb gave up three runs, three hits and three walks in 5 2-3 innings with seven strikeouts. He is 0-3 in six starts since June 3.

Bradley's third-inning homer, the first off Webb in 41 innings since Beltre connected on May 29, pulled the Dodgers to 3-2, and Los Angeles went ahead in the sixth when Saenz greeted reliever Scott Service with his second pinch-homer this season.

It stayed 5-3 until the ninth, when fans had no reason to suspect that Gagne wouldn't hold this lead the way he had 84 times before.

He was cheered when the streak ended, again when he came off after getting the last two outs, and once more when he took a curtain call.

``The fans are so proud of what I've been doing,'' Gagne said. ``They come out every single game and they're really into it, so I just tried to give back to them because they've been really good to me. The fans are the reason whyI've been able to go four or five days in a row. They get me up.'' Notes Three of Gagne's five blown saves are against the Diamondbacks. ... Arizona RF Danny Bautista left in the seventh because of stiffness in his lower back. ... Los Angeles manager Jim Tracy said he expects Nomo to be sidelined at least through the end of July. ... RF Juan Encarnacion sat out his second straight game because of a sore left shoulder, and C Paul Lo Duca was scratcheddue to soreness in his hip.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:21 AM   #2
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

He lost his focus. They should trade him.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

It happens. Dodgers won and I'm sure that will help Gagne get over it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

That wasn't even Gagne's fault, bad play by the 2nd baseman?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

No, we had a left handed first basemen who isn't a natural first basemen and had to go across his body for a tough play and deflected it back past Cora. Just a fluke play.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, Green shoulda been covering the damn bag. Cora would have had that ball.

Plus, what the fuck was the RF doing playing Gonzo to go the other way?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:55 AM   #7
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Yeah, Green shoulda been covering the damn bag. Cora would have had that ball.

Plus, what the fuck was the RF doing playing Gonzo to go the other way?

Gagne's power. They don't expect anyone will pull him. 99.99% of the time they are right. Tonight they weren't.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:56 AM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Gagne's power only matters if he's throwing the heat, and he wasn't throwing the heat to Gonzo. The double was on a change-up, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:13 AM   #9
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
No, we had a left handed first basemen who isn't a natural first basemen and had to go across his body for a tough play and deflected it back past Cora. Just a fluke play.
According to the boxscore, Ventura started at 1st and was replaced by Saenz. The article seems to agree with this assessment:
Quote:
Gagne relieved with a 5-3 lead at the start of the ninth but allowed pinch-hitter Luis Gonzalez's RBI double and Chad Tracy's run-scoring single on an 0-2 pitch that went past the glove of a diving first baseman Olmedo Saenz. Both hits came off changeups.
Is this incorrect?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:16 AM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Saenz at 1st, I guess, and Green in right.

Green was still out of position against Gonzalez, no two ways about it. If he's not out in fucking centerfield, perhaps only one run scores.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:01 AM   #11
daedalus
Pro Rookie

That's possible. On the other hand, he was getting blamed previously for something he wasn't involved in.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:23 AM   #12
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Just looking at the replay on ESPN now . . . I don't see Green doing anything wrong on the hit by Gonzalez. As Troy mentioned, with a fastball like Gagne, you have to play the hitter to go the other way. Green can't control what pitch Gagne is going to throw.

And you already knew how much I dislike Green.

My one problem with the situation is . . . why was Saenz in the game in tight situation? Especially with both LoDuca and Hernandez on the bench (aside from the "using the backup catcher" thing). I mean, Saenz isn't quite Kevin Reimer-in-Left Field bad but not too far away.