Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

Jeter's Dive?

While I admire his bravado in that dive he made, was it that great of a catch? He caught it a good 5 feet away from the wall and albeit on the run, didn't look like he tried to slow himself down too much. It's not even an instance of not knowing the park, it was Yankee stadium! It looked to me like he probably could have turned himself up the line to make the catch

But that's just my thoughts

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

I thought the same thing when I watched it last night, he caught the ball and then continued about another 5-10 feet until he hit the wall. I thought he could have done something else to avoid the outcome that happened. Just my .02 cents.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

I mean, it was great that he showed a lack of fear, but how was the actual catch that great? Pokey Reese's was MUCH better
Old 07-02-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

and thanks for helping out fans, instead you move and let me collide with the seats full speed.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
kingfc22
Head Coach

He could have done what Eric Chavez did 2 years ago in Oakland. When he was on a dead sprint towards the dugout and made a sliding catch to avoid a crash landing.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:49 PM   #6
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
He could have done what Eric Chavez did 2 years ago in Oakland. When he was on a dead sprint towards the dugout and made a sliding catch to avoid a crash landing.
That play is so much better than anything Jeter could ever do IMO. I just happen to be a huge A's fan though
Old 07-02-2004, 10:00 PM   #7
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Jeter could cure cancer and there would be those who say he could have done it better.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #8
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel
Jeter could cure cancer and there would be those who say he could have done it better.
There's one in every crowd I guess
Old 07-02-2004, 10:22 PM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Of course, there are some who felt he deserved an all star bid when hitting .187
Old 07-02-2004, 10:37 PM   #10
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Huh...I just watched the catch, although he was running fast, the catch itself was not that great.....the crash was kinda kool
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:47 PM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

Maybe it's from watching Doug Mientkiewicz for the last several years, but it didn't seem like that great a catch to me. Don't get me wrong, it was a good play, but nothing amazing.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 12:33 AM   #12
Huckleberry
College Starter

Only if you are a Yankee will you be turned into a hero for doing a faceplant into a seat. Only if you are a Yankee will you be lauded for being unable to stop yourself using only your feet. Only if you are a Yankee will they call what Jeter did diving into the seats to make a catch, despite the fact that the faceplant took place 4 steps after the catch.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 04:09 AM   #13
rexallllsc
Banned

How pathetic was the "possibly the best defensive play you'll ever seen" talk on ESPN?

On a related now, how f***ing annoying is the Yankees announced with the whole "bbbbaaawwww Yankees win!"
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 04:40 AM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
How pathetic was the "possibly the best defensive play you'll ever seen" talk on ESPN?

On a related now, how f***ing annoying is the Yankees announced with the whole "bbbbaaawwww Yankees win!"

You are a Laker fan complaining about this?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 06:43 AM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

does it hurt to be bitter? Seriously?
Old 07-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #16
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
You are a Laker fan complaining about this?

So you're saying that Jeter's catch of a foul ball was one of the greatest defensive plays ever?

Last edited by rexallllsc : 07-03-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:14 AM   #17
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
So you're saying that Jeter's catch of a foul ball was one of the greatest defensive plays ever?

Didn't you know it ranks right up there with Fisher's shot? I mean, that was all hype
Old 07-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #18
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Didn't you know it ranks right up there with Fisher's shot? I mean, that was all hype

Haha. I would equate Jeter's catch with someone diving for a ball on the floor, and coming up with it.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #19
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Didn't somebody a few weeks back do the exact same thing in the outfield, and then when he dove he hit an elderly woman and everyone was hassling him about it, saying it's okay to play hard but you have to draw a line? Why is Jeter's catch any different from what that guy did??

I hate the Yankees.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #20
korme
Go Reds

RYAN FREEL IS A GOD LionsFan
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 12:29 PM   #21
Huckleberry
College Starter

Comparing Jeter's catch to Fisher's shot is asinine.

Jeter's play isn't the equivalent of diving for a loose ball. It's the equivalent of catching a pass, calling timeout, then running 4 more steps into the stands.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 01:22 PM   #22
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
does it hurt to be bitter? Seriously?

It is just funny that a Laker fan is complaining that the media may be slightly overexposing what is a mediocre play on the east coast. And when the media harps on the Lakers for things which are not really newsworthy, it is A ok. This is nothing new, the Lakers and Yankees are two of the premier franchises in the United States and the media will always tend to make their ordinary into extraordinary.

That's all.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 07-03-2004, 01:33 PM   #23
MrBug708
Head Coach

What isn't newsworthy? The top Center wants a trade? A top 5 player is accused of rape? The coach with the most titles to his name is retained? Two HOF's join the Lakers? Stop me where I'm missing the non ewsworth ystories...
Old 07-03-2004, 01:44 PM   #24
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
Didn't somebody a few weeks back do the exact same thing in the outfield, and then when he dove he hit an elderly woman and everyone was hassling him about it, saying it's okay to play hard but you have to draw a line? Why is Jeter's catch any different from what that guy did??

I hate the Yankees.

That was my thought when I saw this play. Jeter flew into the stands... he could have seriousley hurt a fan.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #25
kingfc22
Head Coach

Trying to compare Fisher's game winning shot which turned a PLAYOFF series around in an instant to a catch that was made 10 feet before the guy leaps into the stands is flat out stupid.

First of all, Duncan hit a miracle shot just a half second before. Then with al the anticipation of the ball going to a superstar, ala Kobe, it went to Fisher after 2 timeouts had been called at he hit a turn around jumper with 0.4 seconds on the clock which sent the Spurs into a spiral for the rest of the series.

You are saying this is as over-hyped as the Jeter catch which is nowhere close to the greatest play of all time. Right...
Old 07-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #26
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Who said that? Not me.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:32 PM   #27
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
It is just funny that a Laker fan is complaining that the media may be slightly overexposing what is a mediocre play on the east coast. And when the media harps on the Lakers for things which are not really newsworthy, it is A ok. This is nothing new, the Lakers and Yankees are two of the premier franchises in the United States and the media will always tend to make their ordinary into extraordinary.

That's all.

Just remember who brought the Lakers into a thread about the Yankees and how overated a catch was
Old 07-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #28
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I didn't bring up Fisher's shot, nor any comparisons to it. I will gladly point out to you next time something small gets media coverage from the Lakers, but for now we'll just end the topic, do not want to stray too far away.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:21 PM   #29
korme
Go Reds

please excuse my threadjack

VERSATILITY

Old 07-03-2004, 03:24 PM   #30
korme
Go Reds

maharharhar

"He's hard-wired that way -- something umpire Eric Cooper discovered recently when Freel grilled him on the ground rules before a game at Wrigley Field. Freel asked Cooper if it's permissible to jump on the railing and then on top of the dugout in pursuit of a ball. Then he asked Cooper if it's OK to jump on the camera beside the dugout and use it as a springboard into the stands.

"
Old 07-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #31
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Alright, looking at the first picture I had a few thoughts.

1. Who is that hottie in the tight gray shirt?

2. What is she doing with her hands?

3. What does she have to do with this thread?

4. Oh yea, now I see the player jumping and the ball in the air. Does he actually make the catch? It doesnt look like he will, but that could just be the angle.

Last edited by Rich1033 : 07-03-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 06:55 PM   #32
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

mckerney I agree as a twins fan I must be too used to Mentkeiwitz and Hunter, oh not to mention Koskine and Jones, oh wait and Lew robbed a homer last thursday...gee could it be that Jeter sucks and the Twins rule?
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:02 PM   #33
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033

4. Oh yea, now I see the player jumping and the ball in the air. Does he actually make the catch? It doesnt look like he will, but that could just be the angle.

It also looks as if there's another woman beside her, and a kid to the other side. Does this mean she's single??
Old 07-03-2004, 07:04 PM   #34
Tom E
H.S. Freshman Team

You have to take into consideration the game in which Jeter made the catch in, it was an exciting and high energy game BEFORE the catch. The catch was fire on the gasoline...

I'll Never Forget What's Her Name...

A Democrat is Somebody who Knows the Issues, a Republican is Somebody who Understands the Issues...
Tom E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:18 PM   #35
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
It also looks as if there's another woman beside her, and a kid to the other side. Does this mean she's single??

Ahh, good eyes. I think that is exactly what it means. Now all we need is a name.

Besides the kid whos glove is flailing in the air while he hides from the ball, the old lady in the right hand corner of the stands really cracks me up. She just looks so concerned.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:28 PM   #36
Blackadar
Retired

SpamBoy was here.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:16 AM   #37
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:

that's because he's the most overrated douche in the history of douches
Old 07-05-2004, 08:19 AM   #38
MrIllini
High School Varsity

dola

i'd also like to point out that the Yank-mes are the Mets' bitches
Old 07-05-2004, 08:22 AM   #39
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ahh, good eyes. I think that is exactly what it means. Now all we need is a name.

I think this is the first thread in the history of FOFC where you guys have a picture BEFORE the story.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:55 AM   #40
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

That's all.
The Yankees f*cking suck.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:27 AM   #41
MikeVic
Head Coach

This picture captures a lot. The guy in the red on the left is saying: "Ohhh!" There's a bunch of people in the front that are trying to get the ball. The guy wearing the un-buttoned shirt looks like he'd lunge forward for the ball if he had a glove. There's a guy in the front with a jersey that's not even bothering for the ball, and is holding up his hands is if saying: "JACKPOT! What a Homerun!" The hot single female who might even like baseball (why would she go to a game alone? She could be taking her son out to the game, but it's no fun the think that way ). That old woman to the right looks so scared or worried. Finally, the guy in the green shirt is yelling in happiness for a HR.

You notice how the guys going for the ball are all looking at the wrong direction, and a foot away?
Old 07-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #42
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Man, am I glad you put #2 & 3 in there. For a moment I thought you were calling Ryan Freel a "hottie."
Old 07-05-2004, 07:24 PM   #43
korme
Go Reds

Rich1033 has been suspended by admins for calling Ryan Freel a 'bonafide hottie', in violation of the board's strict anti-gay rule.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #44
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Rich1033 has been suspended by admins for calling Ryan Freel a 'bonafide hottie', in violation of the board's strict anti-gay rule.
I thought it was just an anti-gay practice, as opposed to a whole final solution type thing.

Or,
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:42 PM   #45
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281

I object. I never used the word 'bonafide'.