Pro Rookie

Duke wouldn't touch quinn snyder with a 2000 mile pole

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #52
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Hopefully Quin Snyder will follow suit and take the Duke job and Mizzou can get a real coach. Or did Quin ruin that with the Ricky Clemons mess?

Speaking of things that might actually happen, oh yeah, this ain't one of them.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:08 PM   #53
MrBug708
Head Coach

Think he's bitter?

He rips LA and the West coast as a whole, but targets the Laker's. It's a pretty inaccurate article and you wonder why it was even written. Til you realize Seth Davis is a Duke alumni.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:22 PM   #54
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Think he's bitter?

He rips LA and the West coast as a whole, but targets the Laker's. It's a pretty inaccurate article and you wonder why it was even written. Til you realize Seth Davis is a Duke alumni.

I didn't take it as ripping the west coast at all. He was saying that the Lakers have a high success rate and Coach K would under enourmas pressure to win.

You know what? He's dead right. It would be a ton of pressure.

I think he's wrong on the Shaq/Kobe thing. I'd be stunned if Kobe wasn't a Laker next year at this point. If Kobe stays and they trade Shaq, they WILL have players.

While they didn't mention it in the interview, it's widely known Davis went to Duke. He's never hid it in any interview or article I've ever seen. If Kobe and Shaq really were to leave, I think his points would be dead on accurate. He needed to address the situation if one stayed and he didn't. My only problem with the interview.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 PM   #55
JeeberD
General Manager

Hooray! Anyone but Rudy T!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:54 AM   #56
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Think he's bitter?

Did we even read the same article??? Maybe they edited it since this post...
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:56 AM   #57
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I didn't take it as ripping the west coast at all. He was saying that the Lakers have a high success rate and Coach K would under enourmas pressure to win.

You know what? He's dead right. It would be a ton of pressure.

I think he's wrong on the Shaq/Kobe thing. I'd be stunned if Kobe wasn't a Laker next year at this point. If Kobe stays and they trade Shaq, they WILL have players.

While they didn't mention it in the interview, it's widely known Davis went to Duke. He's never hid it in any interview or article I've ever seen. If Kobe and Shaq really were to leave, I think his points would be dead on accurate. He needed to address the situation if one stayed and he didn't. My only problem with the interview.

Troy's points here are absolutely right.

That said, it still doesn't take away from the fact that Seth Davis is a raging douchebag.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:00 AM   #58
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
The timing may be right for this on Coach K's end.

Deng plus part of his recruiting class left early or didn't show up at all. Coach K was also the most vocal opponent of ACC expansion (which became official today). He may not be as content at Duke as people think.

couple with these reasons that K is a stand up guy who feels responsible to his seniors first and foremost (not that he doesn't care about the others), and Duhon was the only one he had who is now gone...

IMO, he's got less to stay at Duke for right now than maybe any other time...given the circumstances and the opportunity, I mean...it's now or never, if he doesn't go, he never will
Old 07-02-2004, 02:47 PM   #59
MrBug708
Head Coach

5 years, 40 million is a lot of cash...
Old 07-02-2004, 03:03 PM   #60
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I like how they mention that Billy King played for Coach K but fail to mention that Seth Davis did as well anywhere in the article.

Who cares if Coach K goes to the pros, he's still a whiner. One would think that it may be difficult for a coach who has consistently failed to develop and college stars into pro stars to actually coach pros and develop young players as pros.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #61
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hard to develop players when nearly everyone is old anyways
Old 07-02-2004, 03:12 PM   #62
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hard to develop players when nearly everyone is old anyways

Pay no attention to those pesky high school seniors that make up basically the entire draf right?
Old 07-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #63
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Who cares if Coach K goes to the pros, he's still a whiner. One would think that it may be difficult for a coach who has consistently failed to develop and college stars into pro stars to actually coach pros and develop young players as pros.

I think coach K got about as much as anyone possibly could have out of guys like Danny Ferry and Bobby Hurley. William Avery, thats his own fault, he left Duke just a bit early. The guys that have been busts in the pro's haven't exactly been incredible athletes. The guys that have come to Duke and have had some athletic ability have done fine in the pro's for the most part.

You guys are really making me defend coach K and for a guy that hates Duke as much as anyone, it sickens me.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:23 PM   #64
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
I think coach K got about as much as anyone possibly could have out of guys like Danny Ferry and Bobby Hurley. William Avery, thats his own fault, he left Duke just a bit early. The guys that have been busts in the pro's haven't exactly been incredible athletes. The guys that have come to Duke and have had some athletic ability have done fine in the pro's for the most part.

You guys are really making me defend coach K and for a guy that hates Duke as much as anyone, it sickens me.

Like who? Grant Hill? That's basically it. I've always thought Coach K was a "system" coach. He got the best players possible for his system and it obviously works, of course the skills needed to excel in this system obviously don't translate well to pro skills. He hasn't been able to develop players into pro stars and with the state of the NBA nowadays that may be a problem with rosters getting younger every year.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:34 PM   #65
heybrad
Norm!!!

Elton Brand?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #66
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Like who? Grant Hill? That's basically it. I've always thought Coach K was a "system" coach. He got the best players possible for his system and it obviously works, of course the skills needed to excel in this system obviously don't translate well to pro skills. He hasn't been able to develop players into pro stars and with the state of the NBA nowadays that may be a problem with rosters getting younger every year.

I think Brand has done pretty well. Maggette, even though he was only there for a season. We'll never know about Jay Williams, he certainly looked like a good player, but probably was never going to be an All-Star.

How many pro disappointments have there been? Laettner? Not athletic enough. Langdon? Same. Coach K for the longest time brought in players that could play college basketball, not NBA prospects. Take an objective look at the players that have gone through his system and find one that should have made it in the NBA but didn't.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:25 PM   #67
MrBug708
Head Coach

Whatever happened to good old Trajan?
Old 07-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #68
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Whatever happened to good old Trajan?

I just read a couple weeks ago that he was playing overseas. I don't remember where though.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #69
The_herd
College Starter

hxxp://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E02&jornada=16&id=425

Treviso, Italy
Old 07-02-2004, 09:07 PM   #70
MrBug708
Head Coach

John Thompson, the retired Georgetown head coach (not his son, the current Georgetown head coach), made a great point, I thought, on the James Brown Sporting News radio show today. He reminded his host and the listeners that recent college coaches who have jumped to the NBA - Tarkanian, Floyd, Calipari, Pitino, Carlesimo, Kruger, Hamilton, etc. - have not done a good job of choosing their NBA teams the way Larry Brown and Phil Jackson have. His point was that plenty of very good coaches don't win in the NBA because they lack talented squads.

As Thompson said, if Krzyzewski comes to a Laker team with Shaq and Kobe, he will win; if he comes to a Laker team minus Shaq and Kobe, he will lose - and fans will then blame it on another college coach failing to make the leap. Phil Jackson certainly isn't going to sign on to coach the Charlotte Bobcats; he'll stay in Montana unless an opportunity to coach a contender arises.

Thompson said he thought Krzyzewski would make a very good NBA coach, assuming a requisite level of talent, because he has great people skills and does not shy away from confrontation. The former Georgetown coach said that there are plenty of guys coaching in the NBA who know the game, but many of them don't have great talent on their teams or a personal knack for dealing with the personality problems on the squads. He also maintained that players getting along is overrated - they need to be willing and able to play together rather than necessarily like each other (and the latter does not insure the former).
Old 07-02-2004, 09:28 PM   #71
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Hell Chris Duhon stayed 2 more years and it cost him a guarenteed contract and a first round status
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:53 PM   #72
Radii
Head Coach

Coach K a whiner? I don't have any clue whether or not he'll be successful in the pros or not, but where do you see him for a whiner? He strikes me as someone who is gracious in losing and isn't an asshole about it when he wins.

I am not sure if duke player's lack of succes in the pros means anything either. (I have to throw this in) Dean Smith coached a large number of very successful pros, way way more than Coach K ever will, but, I don't think Dean Smith would have necessarily been a great NBA coach either.

Coach K can simply recruit for what he teaches so well at Duke and go from there, he doesn't have to have a great pro turnout to win in college. There is nothing telling me that he wouldn't necessarily be able to adjust to the pro game just because of that.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote