Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2003, 12:48 AM   #1
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Biography at its finest

I would like to humbly offer to the community my endorsement of one of the finest books, and series of books I have ever read.

Robert Caro's latest in the LBJ series is called Master of the Senate. The two previous were works of art, this one is a masterpiece. Being involved in Texas politics, it pangs me to say, this New Yoker gets it. He understands what its like here, where politics is a contact sport.

This latest book deals with Johnsons Senate years. I have been waiting for 12 years for this one, and just finished it. It is not light fare, but if you want to know how power works, not what they taught us in poli sci class, but how true power works, do yourself a favor and read this beautiful piece of literature.

LBJ MASTER OF THE SENATE
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 12:52 AM   #2
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I was often in awe of of this book. While some of the critics didn't like the huge amount of space spent on the history of the Senate, I found it a nice history, even as someone who knew a good deal about the events described. Cairo's ability to truly understand not only Johnson but the people he was dealing with was just unbelievable. I simply hope that he doesn't die before the next book, as I can not imagine what he'll be able to do with Johnson's presidency.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #3
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

He is in his early 60's, no reason why he should not finish. The LBJ tapes keep getting released slowly. They should give him the entire collection, so he can finish up this great bio.

Manchester only finished 2 of the 3 Churchill bio's. Although Gilberts is the definitive bio, and I am proud to say I finished it, it reads factual and dry. I wished Manchester could have completed it, but it will never happen now.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:05 AM   #4
AgPete
College Prospect

That is a FANTASTIC series. I'm a native Texan and LBJ is one of my favorite characters in our nation's history. If there ever was a politician that represented the things Texans pride themselves on, it's big ol' LBJ. I haven't read the newest one yet. It's going to take him a while to finish this series but it's worth it. It has to be the best political biography I've ever read.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote