Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2004, 11:12 AM   #1
Turd Ferguson
Mascot

Thumbs up Song of Susannah (Dark Tower 6)

How many people have picked this up?? I know quite a few of you follow the series.

Possible Spoilers below:

I must say so far that this book is much better then number five. It gets right to the action like the first four, no sitting around the Calla counting things and building storylines. It's short, about 400+ pages. But, so far it has been terrific.

Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
gi
College Prospect

Just picked it up yesterday and going to sit down with it today and make some headway.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know it was out.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

I have it on order from Amazon and should be getting it in about a week. I also have The Dark Tower on preorder as well...

Just and FYI for you DT fans out there, but you should check out a book called The Road to the Dark Tower by a gentleman named Bev Vincent. I've known Bev (in the same same sense that I know SkyDog or Kodos) for several years now through a Stephen King message board. He's a semi-successful fiction author and a huge King fan who decided that he wanted to write an in depth book about the DT series and it's connection to the rest of King's fiction. He wrote King about the idea and Steve loved it. King actually sent Bev unfinished manuscripts of the last two novels so that Bev could get to work on the book, and sent him new manuscripts every time changes were made.

Anywho, it's going to be an outstanding book, very in depth and informative. It won't be out until after The Dark Tower is released, but you can preorder it if you like...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Scrolled straight to the bottom so I wouldn't read any spoilers, but yeah, I snagged it today. Read about a hundred pages during my lunch, which is surprising. I keep trying to slow down, and it keeps pulling me right along.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #6
BucDawg40
H.S. Freshman Team

I've read it, and really enjoyed it. I was concerned how King would handle a certain part of the story, but he did a great job with it.

It does end rather abruptly, so be prepared to be tortured over the next few months awaiting the completion of this grand tale.
BucDawg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:27 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, I noticed that, BD40. Kinda left me in a lurch, but it also left me scratching my head over what the point of the whole thing was. We'll find out this fall, I guess.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:19 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Just finished reading it the other night (which I realized later in the day was 6-19 ) and I really enjoyed it. I'm wondering how the very, very end is going to come into play, however.

Also, like BucDawg said, I was really pleased with the way that King handled "himself". I was really worried about that aspect of the story after reading WotC, but I think it worked out prety well.

Just a few more months until TDT comes out. I think I'm going to need to buy Robin Furth's The Dark Tower: A Concordance to keep my DT fix going...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:22 PM   #9
gi
College Prospect

I really enjoyed it myself. I like how King handled 'that part'. Tied it all in. Looking forward to the conclusion.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:27 PM   #10
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I will add to this palaver and say that I really enjoyed it as well. I promised myself I would only read a little bit per day, to make it last, but of course I poured through it in about 3 days.

I also recently re-read Wizards and Glass and laughed to myself when they counted the oil wells and guess what? Yep, 19 of them.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:11 PM   #11
Turd Ferguson
Mascot

I finished it 2 days after I got it.... Really great story. I'm pumped but also a little bummed out that it ends this August. Maybe we can hope for a movie adaptation sometime in the future.
Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:31 PM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Should pick this up today, can't wait.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:35 PM   #13
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Finished it in two days, even though I'm starting a new job...just couldn't put it down...

It was a great two days but I feel empty now...when is the last book coming out?

So there are two "unofficial" Dark Tower books? Did I read that correctly?

SPOILER---Not really, but still wait till you've read the book...

No peeking...

Who do you think bites it now after reading the 6th? I really am not sure right now...I'd say Jake's safe...probably Eddie...I'm guessing Roland...but just a guess...

Kevin
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:28 AM   #14
gi
College Prospect

Spoiler:

Guess...hmm...I'd say two of them die, maybe three. I think Jake will be the one to get to the Dark Tower. Roland will see it and then die shortly thereafter. Eddie will fall to loving Susannah, meaning that his love for her will cloud his gunslinger vision. Susannah might die from child birth or just after that. All guesses mind you...Jake already died too...hmm......... Maybe Oy makes it Oy is one of my favorite characters too. King did a great job on him.