Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2003, 08:38 PM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Question Disk Drive Problems?

I've been having a little problem with my new disk drive and just wanted some information and advise here.

My first problem was a blue screen that was the result of a STOP error relative to a windows system file. I booted from my CD-ROM and ran chkdsk /r. Windows found and repaired one or more disk errors. After that everything was fine for a bit until I started getting the blue screen again; this time the result of a STOP error related to an nvidia dll. I ran the chkdsk /r and again it found and fixed one or more errors. My questions are this.

1. At what point do I start getting concerned about this drive? It's a 120 gig so I guess you can expect a few bad sectors here and there. However, one more blue screen and fixed drive errors might start to bother me.

2. This may be a stupid question, but when Windows finds and fixes a hard drive error does it physically fix it or does it just tell Windows to ignore it? That is, if I were to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows would it still recognize the previously defined bad sectors?

Thanks a lot for any input.

Tarkus

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:43 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

1) I would certainly be keeping an eye on it - certainly make sure you've got stuff backed up

2) I think "repairing" means telling Windows to ignore. I assume reformatting would find the bad sectors again, but I'm just guessing.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
astralhaze
College Prospect

Just fyi, Nvidia files are pretty frequent causes of blue screens. That one I wouldn't be too worried about. DD's answers are correct, btw.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:50 PM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
Just fyi, Nvidia files are pretty frequent causes of blue screens. That one I wouldn't be too worried about. DD's answers are correct, btw.

except that I certainly used certainly too many times in one sentence.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:51 PM   #5
astralhaze
College Prospect

Certainly.