Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2003, 07:43 AM   #51
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

Ksyrup, excellent post as usual. I think you are absolutely correct in your sentiment (at least what I think it is) that it is difficult to offer both absolute engine realism and yet have the flexibility to be both a historical and/or fantasy sim, and offer users complete customization of the engine.

I will say, though, that most of the work done on version 5 was more of the under-the-hood stuff than you would be lead to believe by .400's marketing chief.

JMS

Joe Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:08 AM   #52
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Joe,

I appreciate the pointer to the newsletter.

Unfortunately, at least for me, it looks like OOTP might be moving away from what I think should be the "sweet spot" for a baseball sim: actually simulating baseball.

The sim features for having a family and all that jazz (granted, only a couple of bullet points on the list) are, to me, wasted development time.

Coming from a product management background (that's actually what I'm supposed to be doing right now ... shhh ), I understand the marketing reasons behind adding features like that.

What I don't understand is how that appeals to the core market segment that a baseball sim is aimed at. For the X # of weeks that Markus spent on that aspect of the game, I think (I could be wrong) a majority of the fans would rather of seen him:

-further address the statistical and financial issues
-improve the player creation algorithm (create logical players - not random attributes)
-add a management layer (hiring managers with certain personalities, traits, making that an actual portion of the GM experience)
-options, Rule V draftees, draft pick compensation for free agents lost, arbitration
-more interaction with players in regards to financial demands

That's just off the top of my head.

From a marketing perspective, this is how I would look at it:

-You own the multi-player baseball market.
-No one owns the single-player market.

Why not spend resources on features that will potentially give you an avenue into those users, while allowing you to continue to sell into the users you've already captured?

Maybe a bunch of the stuff I've mentioned is the sort of thing that's gone on "under the hood" and we won't know about until closer to the release. If so, I'll be buying a copy of OOTP5. If not, I'll probably be saving my money this year - and hoping that Craig, Markus, Shawn, or Jim can come up with a better fit (for me)the next time around.
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:46 AM   #53
Bee
Pro Starter

I believe Markus has made the point that the family thing was added in with almost no development time and actually was originally used as something of a distraction for him during the development (kinda like all of us coming to this board when we should be using that time doing our work ). He just included it as an option since he had it available.

I think he's taken way too much heat for this. Anyone who works on long term projects understand the important of sometimes doing something "fun" to take your mind off the development. The fact that Markus is actually including something like this in the game should be applauded IMO.

I'm not a huge fan of OOTP, mostly because I don't really like baseball. I also don't like multiplayer games. I think the game is too easy to dominate as a single player game. That being said, I also think it's got a lot of positives that make the game as popular as it is.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:46 AM   #54
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I agree. Markus has indicated that he coded the family thing in no time at all. I don't care one way or another, although for a casual/first-time observer of the series, one might get the impression that he is concentrating on the wrong things at the expense of more important ones.

But I don't think that was the case here. I think it was simply a mechanism by which he could bring a bunch of "Jr.'s" into the game. I think this will help with the immersion factor in Manager Mode, if 20 years into the game, you see your son in the amateur draft. I like the idea of that, personally, and since it took no time at all, what the hell?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:24 AM   #55
FBPro
College Starter

From what I have gathered these areas:
-further address the statistical and financial issues
-improve the player creation algorithm (create logical players - not random attributes)
-add a management layer (hiring managers with certain personalities, traits, making that an actual portion of the GM experience)
-options, Rule V draftees, draft pick compensation for free agents lost, arbitration
-more interaction with players in regards to financial demands

are being worked on quite a bit. Not sure if all of the above will be in v5 but I know that some are.

Last edited by FBPro : 01-30-2003 at 10:24 AM.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:28 PM   #56
PantherFan
n00b

The immersion factor is one thing that has me putting OOTP away every few months and coming back to it later. I posted this to the OOTP board and it got buried pretty quickly. I'm interested in getting some other thoughts on this.

I wonder if it would be possible in v.5 to add more descriptions into the scouting reports. Things such as "quick wrists", "big swing", "streak hitter", and "slider speed bat" among others could add more individual flavor to the hitters. "Moving fastball", "sweeping curve," "tight slider," and "wild inside the strike zone" could be used for pitchers. I feel like now after you read 3-4 scouting reports you pretty much have an idea of what they are going to say. Maybe these more detailed reports could be available in the "Talent only" mode since the ratings would be hidden. Minor, aesthetic suggestion more than anything. The hardest thing for me is feeling connected to my players. I think something like this might help.

- One of my favorite baseball magazines is Lindy's Baseball Scouting Reports. It features players with MLB like scouting repors. Players are graded on a 20-80 scale (20=poor, 80=outstanding, 50=average). Hitters are scouted on Hitting for average, hitting for power, running the bases, fielding, and throwing. Pitchers are rated on stuff, control, changing speeds, mound presence, and competitiveness. Two sample reports from the Braves.

Greg Maddux
50/80/80/80/80 (stuff/control/change speed/mound/competitive)
"He's 86-89 mph. He sinks his fastball, cuts it, four seams it. He shows an occasional breaking ball; he throws his change up anywhere in the count. His stuff isn't overwhelming by any stretch. But he knows how to use it and he throws it where he wants."

- The velocity information could be extracted from the ratings easily to add into the reports.

Chipper Jones
70/80/50/45/60
"He's a tough out from either side. He's aggressive. He hits the fastball up or down. Plus, he's become a better thinker at the plate. He used to outhink himself. He'd look for something or expect something, then take a pitch he could have hammered. Now he has a better idea of how he's being pitched and responds accordingly."

- For flavor, it might be better if bad contact hitters had reports that read something like "has trouble with offspeed pitches" or "can't get around on a good fastball" instead of "needs to improve in this area."

- I think what we are all looking for is something that will give us a better idea of what type of player we have. Is the guy a speedster with gap power or a free-swinging slugger who can hit it out of any part of the park OR air condition the Astrodome?

If these reports represented material changes in the player creation developement process, then I think Markus would be on to something.
PantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:14 AM   #57
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Well, good discussion

First, I actually do know a bit about Baseball. I am really interested in sabermetrics (owning/reading a lot of BP and Bill James publications) and I do play baseball for almost ten years now. Granted, our league allstar team would lose against a good US little-league team, but it's still fun

To be honest, the player creation algorythms in all OOTP versions prior to V5 are all crap. Period. Like Craig pointed out it was really not much more than randomly assigning ratings so that the league average would be realistic and then adjusting things a little, like eliminating most E-speed, 12-rated triples guys.
In the past versions I tried to get the macro-management and total results right, combining with better interfaces and some nice features like the online league stuff.

Currently I am working on the player creating of OOTP 5, totally recoding the whole thing, incoporating the things I learned in the past years. So stay tuned.

By the way, the minor league game engine is the same as the "big one". So the stats DO correlate to the ratings.

Another thing... if you complain about the triples rating in V4, why don't you just switch to the reduced ratings set? This is indeed an artefact of the replay mode of the game. For career mode the intended mode in the reduced ratings set!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:28 AM   #58
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Markus Heinsohn
To be honest, the player creation algorythms in all OOTP versions prior to V5 are all crap. Period.

Currently I am working on the player creating of OOTP 5, totally recoding the whole thing, incoporating the things I learned in the past years. So stay tuned.

Another thing... if you complain about the triples rating in V4, why don't you just switch to the reduced ratings set? This is indeed an artefact of the replay mode of the game. For career mode the intended mode in the reduced ratings set!

Hey Markus! I think that's great! As I've said, I've been a customer for OOTP 1, 2 & 4 (forget if i bought 3), and the one thing that soured me has always been the player creation algorithms. It always seems like you added more and more features, while forgetting the foundation. It sounds like you admit that in your post. Anyway, I'll probably be purchasing V5 the day it comes out (again) -- I hope that strides you've made make OOTP what it CAN be.

Also, reducing the ratings viewed doesn't change the fact that players are rated on their "ability" to hit triples. Just because I choose to look or not look at certain ratings doesn't hide the fact that player attributes are broken (or "crap", like you mentioned) in OOTP4 and below.

Good luck, Markus.

-Craig
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:31 AM   #59
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Yes, the player development information is good news indeed.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:44 AM   #60
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigSca

Also, reducing the ratings viewed doesn't change the fact that players are rated on their "ability" to hit triples. Just because I choose to look or not look at certain ratings doesn't hide the fact that player attributes are broken (or "crap", like you mentioned) in OOTP4 and below.

In OOTP 5 the triples rating is only used in replay leagues. In career leagues the triples depend on the park and the player's speed rating.

Thanks for all the constructive criticism!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 07:45 AM   #61
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
In career leagues the triples depend on the park and the player's speed rating.
That's the best news I'll hear all day. Excellent! OOTP may be finally moving to elite status for solo career play finally.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:43 AM   #62
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

The is impressive, for once, a true real discussion...looks I'll be saving up for OOTP5 to go with CM4.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:04 AM   #63
McSweeny
College Starter

woohoo! this is indeed good news
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:57 PM   #64
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

To be honest, the player creation algorythms in all OOTP versions prior to V5 are all crap. Period. Like Craig pointed out it was really not much more than randomly assigning ratings so that the league average would be realistic and then adjusting things a little, like eliminating most E-speed, 12-rated triples guys.
In the past versions I tried to get the macro-management and total results right, combining with better interfaces and some nice features like the online league stuff.

By the way, the minor league game engine is the same as the "big one". So the stats DO correlate to the ratings.

All of this is great news - but in V4 just using the reduced ratings set doesn't change the fact that those ratings are still driving the game, even if I don't look at the ratings .
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 04:00 PM   #65
Buddy Grant
High School JV

Quote:
All of this is great news - but in V4 just using the reduced ratings set doesn't change the fact that those ratings are still driving the game, even if I don't look at the ratings .

Those ratings won't even be viewable if you use reduced ratings, but you are right they are still under the hood. To code any game some sort of numeric values would be needed for different aspects of player ability, so I'm not sure why this is a serious concern as long as ratings for triples and SB's etc have a relation to the player speed. The original ratings choice of getting hits & getting doubles etc. is most likely related to the historical statistic information available. This is a limitation of enabling historic play for a fraction of the price of replay-sims like DMB/APBA/SOM via the Lahman DB.
Buddy Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:57 PM   #66
Blackadar
Retired

I like OOTP4 and spent quite a bit of time with it. Both the pro and the con OOTP folks have good, valid points.

But with Markus's revelation on the rewriting of the player code, I'm getting jazzed up for the next version. I was hoping to just buy CM, but it appears that OOTP is in my near future as well.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 08:26 PM   #67
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is a limitation of enabling historic play for a fraction of the price of replay-sims like DMB/APBA/SOM via the Lahman DB.

To me, any limitations that using Lahman might have, is worth it. I have said before that if it wasn't for OOTP's ability to import the Lahman database, I would not be playing it solo.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:11 PM   #68
astralhaze
College Prospect

Not to be a fanboy, but has anyone loaded up Baseball Mogul 2 recently? Compare that with OOTP4.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:25 PM   #69
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is all great news. And I like the weekly newsletter about the new features, leading up to the release date, presumably. That must be a Joe idea. I can definitely say that my anticipation will be building week after week.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:34 PM   #70
wbonnell
College Prospect

One thing you can definitely say about Markus: he listens to his customers. I'm actually excited about OOTP5 now!
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 02:05 AM   #71
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
To me, any limitations that using Lahman might have, is worth it. I have said before that if it wasn't for OOTP's ability to import the Lahman database, I would not be playing it solo.

Uhhh, please feel free to unbunched the panties. I haven't seen anyone say ANYTHING about the Lahman database being bad or terrible. At least not in this thread so far. All I saw was a couple of people attempting to explain why the triple ratings were previously present.

It will be okay. No one is attempting to take away your historical league.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 02:07 AM   #72
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
In OOTP 5 the triples rating is only used in replay leagues. In career leagues the triples depend on the park and the player's speed rating.

Outstanding news.

And thank you for joining us.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:13 AM   #73
Dargone
n00b

I, for one, am looking forward to OOTP5. Especially now that I know the layer creation algorythms are being recoded.
Dargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 06:51 PM   #74
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

daed: I think your rant was out of place, I think you misread. Some folks accurately called out the irrationality of having triples ratings but since it apparantly comes from the Lahman database, it was included because of such and therefore, considered in the code. At least that was my conclusion. My only point was that whatever limitations of using the database for ratings, player development, etc., is worth it, imo.

To others: Beware of high expectations.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:34 PM   #75
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
daed: I think your rant was out of place, I think you misread. Some folks accurately called out the irrationality of having triples ratings but since it apparantly comes from the Lahman database, it was included because of such and therefore, considered in the code. At least that was my conclusion. My only point was that whatever limitations of using the database for ratings, player development, etc., is worth it, imo.

To others: Beware of high expectations.

You are right about that rant - didn't understand that.

The perfect way to handle it is - to have those types of ratings for the replay leagues - and a different set for career leagues. A simple brilliant solution - might make everyone happy.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:17 PM   #76
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Jim Lynch, at first glance, I agree that it is a brilliant solution.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:25 PM   #77
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Perhaps. On the other hand, I see no one saying anything bad about the Lahmans Database. Or that it isn't worth it. Or that support for it should be dropped. Only thing I see was an explanation of why the doubles/triples ratings was in the game.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:26 PM   #78
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
The perfect way to handle it is - to have those types of ratings for the replay leagues - and a different set for career leagues. A simple brilliant solution - might make everyone happy.

You'd think Markus would listen to a suggestion like that. Or something.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2003, 09:47 PM   #79
korme
Go Reds

The guys at .400 rule.

Listening to customers in such a way that is moving them away from the competition.

Shorty
-fanboy
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:49 PM   #80
Easy Mac

And it only took them 5 tries, I guess Jim should have the game everyone wants next time then.

Easy
-fanboy.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:54 PM   #81
korme
Go Reds

Jim doesn't care what the fans want. He said it himself many times that he builds a game he would like to play.

You don't agree about Markus? SkyDog offers a suggestion, 5 minutes later it gets implemented. Yowza.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:57 PM   #82
Easy Mac

or it takes 2 incarnations of the game after SD mentions it doesn't work right. All depends on how you look at it.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:13 PM   #83
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Jim doesn't care what the fans want. He said it himself many times that he builds a game he would like to play.

You can interpret his statement in that manner. Or you can accept that some people follow the philosophy that the only way to build the best game they can is to build the game they want to play.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:44 AM   #84
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
You can interpret his statement in that manner. Or you can accept that some people follow the philosophy that the only way to build the best game they can is to build the game they want to play.

Then why even bother with customers????

I remember the CD analogy that SkyDog came up with and I agree with that to some extent. But if he was so close-minded about that whole process, he would not have taken and responded to constructive criticisms from the producer, et al or even asked us for our opinions regarding the CD artwork.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #85
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

This noise about revamping the player algorhythms, I'll believe it when I see it. I am just curious why it was discovered that it was "junk" three incarnations later, when there were people who developed test sets with data to show its lack of consistancy since.... oh say OOTP 2.

This also confirms that just about all that has been added is fluff over a suspect engine.

But I will put my money where my mouth is and purchase this latest version like I have done the last 3. Maybe it will surprise me.

-HFP
consistancy realist
Old 02-10-2003, 09:12 PM   #86
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Then why even bother with customers????

I remember the CD analogy that SkyDog came up with and I agree with that to some extent. But if he was so close-minded about that whole process, he would not have taken and responded to constructive criticisms from the producer, et al or even asked us for our opinions regarding the CD artwork.

Why are bands that only produce 'commercial' music so their sales would be higher such a joke?

It's not like SD was asking for changes in the lyrics.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:52 PM   #87
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

I'm very happy to see that there's work going into revamping the engine.

I've just got some worries.

Changes of this magnitude, at this stage of a product's lifecycle, often cause some problems.

For one, it's almost impossible to get changes like this 100% right the first time, which is going to potentially lead to some issues like TDCB and FOF4 had.

And also because the changes will likely break some strategies that people have developed over the course of 4 versions.

So, when some of the less-baseball inclined fans (those who didn't mind the micro-simulation flaws that are now being worked on) start to complain, are those complaints going to outweight the fact that the engine will be "closer to real life" (if indeed it turns out that way). Is there going to be some effort to split the difference between the groups, hedging the bets and fixing the algorithms to rely less on sabremetrics and more on "convential baseball wisdom?"

For example - right now, I'm willing to believe there's a whole batch of OOTP players who slot their fastest player into the leadoff spot, even if he doesn't have a high OBP. If the sim engine is closer to "real life", leadoff really the optimal slot for a low OBP guy. I'm hoping that when these OOTPers start to yell, the response is "a fast leadoff guy with an OBP of .280, a la Tom Goodwin, is not more valuable than a Jeremy Giambi-type with an OBP of .400 but no speed at all."

I'm quite happy to hear that Markus is addressing some of the issues we've talked about. I'm not sure I'll be willing to dump money (and I reserve that decision until I see the game obviously) until there's some better minor league management. The addition of 3 things:

-options
-free agent compensation
-minor league FAs

will be enough to drive me to buy any baseball sim. It's also the reason I'm holding off on Puresim - I want real player development, not the ability to draft and hold a guy in AAA infinitely.

On a lighter, related note: the Red Sox equipment truck is en route to Fort Myers
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 12:12 AM   #88
Raven
College Prospect

Markus,

I already posted this on the JBL boards, so you may be hearing it from Scott, but I'll post it here as well.

I really wish setting lineups wasn't such a pain in the ass. I think 2 things need/could be added.

1. OBP splits. On the batting stats 2 button, we have avg splits, slug % splits, but no OBP splits. I really wish OBP splits were on there so I wouldn't have to manually look at every player when trying to maximize my lineup. A very tedious process without OBP splits. Hopefully it is in v.5, but if it's not already, is it too late?

2. Since colors are already used when setting lineups, is there any way to indicate who is already in whichever lineup you are currently setting? Maybe you could use indents, bold, italics, or whatever...but when I am setting my lineup, I hate looking over everyone to see who is on the bench and who is already in there.

One more thing.........make the job easier on the online Commishes by creating a back and forward buttons for scrolling through teams (just like you do for players).
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote