Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #1
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

1st MS now 989...

May 05, 2004 - In a surprising announcement, Sony Computer Entertainment America and 989 Sports announced today that the NFL GameDay, NCAA GameBreaker, NBA ShootOut, and NCAA® Final Four franchises will be taking a season off.

The statement reads as follows:

"It's important to note that while our football and basketball titles will not be released this year, 989 Sports' MLB&153; and World Tour Soccer franchises will continue, and 989 Sports will debut the officially licensed Athens 2004 game this summer and an all-new NHL hockey franchise in fall 2004 on an annual development cycle.

In addition to the development of MLB, NHL and World Tour Soccer franchises for the 2004-2005 season, 989 Sports will continue to support 989SportsOnline.com for the existing product line as well as its new NHL franchise. As a feature-rich experience ranked by many as the best-in-class, 989SportsOnline.com is a vital part of the future of 989 Sports, which will continue to build out the existing online feature sets along with new online-enabled games.

As the single largest selling genre of console games, the market for sports titles is extremely competitive. After listening to our consumers and taking a hard look at the football and basketball franchises, Sony Computer Entertainment America has decided to provide the development teams with the additional time needed to make products competitive and more importantly to provide compelling new content for our consumers.

Sports games are a critical part of Sony Computer Entertainment America's first party lineup. Sony Computer Entertainment America is committed to investing in this category with new technology and added staff to insure that our games not only close the competitive gap, but also make sure that all 989 Sports franchises live up to their former reputation."

IGN Sports will have more information on this developing story as it continues to unfold.

Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

Not that it would ever happen, because EA is a cash whore, but I wouldn't mind seeing them give their games every other year off. I hate the notion of having to buy the same damned game every year, and while there's always some new fluff thrown in, really all I would need is some roster updates.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:28 AM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The Athens game is perfect for you then...one version every 4 years.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Not that it would ever happen, because EA is a cash whore, but I wouldn't mind seeing them give their games every other year off. I hate the notion of having to buy the same damned game every year, and while there's always some new fluff thrown in, really all I would need is some roster updates.

So don't buy them every year
Old 05-06-2004, 01:28 PM   #5
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

989 games have sucked ever since Gameday '99.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
Vince
Pro Starter

Yup. Gameday '98 was cool, though. Nothing like the super stiff-arm.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 05-06-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #7
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

What good are roster updates if you play in a franchise mode anyway?
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
What good are roster updates if you play in a franchise mode anyway?

They're good if you want to start a new franchise once every year or so...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:44 PM   #9
Hurst2112
College Starter

Understood.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:29 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Their football and basketball games could use the extra development time, but this really sucks. MLB 2005 was the first baseball game in years that 989 made that's actually any good.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote