Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2003, 09:55 PM   #1
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

my super passing attack

After playing about 75 years of this offense, i realized it is seriously the most amazing thing going in FOF2001. But on the other hand, i guess i feel i've 'cracked the code' and wonder if i'll have as much fun with the game from now on.
If you want to see some results of this thing, check out the 'Up from the Ashes' thread on the dynasty page, i won 32 titles in 50 years, (made the playoffs EVERY year, and made 38 super bowls).

I can't say i've read the offensive game plan parts of Morgado's journal closely, so don't scold me if i've duplicated something there.... But, this plan also extends beyond the offense to the makeup of team personnel, but here's the game plan aspect:

Run Percentages:
35-35-35-35
35-35-35-35
35-20-20-20
35-20-20-20

4th down willingness:65
run inside the 20: 35

run percentages for offensive line:
11-13-16-20-16-13-11

pass percentages:
18-40-30-7-5

Offensive formations:
(i ignore the situational ones and only alter the overall ones at the bottom)

Goal line:50
run with FB:25
3 te:25
2 te:40
2 wr:70
3 wr:90
4 wr:90
5 wr:60

You wouldn't believe how this works when you have the proper talent, and here's what talent this requires:

QB-a very good one or excellent one
RB-nothing special at all, i never keep one around past his original contract unless he's a god. And i ALWAYS favor RB's with high 'catch frequency' and 'yards per carry' you shouldn't ever need to draft a first round RB in this offense.
FB-again, he has to catch, nothing more
TE-emphasize catching over blocking
WR-you should stock yourself. Draft a reciever highly almost every year, you want to have 4 good-excellent recievers, and as many as 6 for depth (i carry 7 recievers yearly)

OL-keep a strong OL together, so always draft great lineman, you'll be able to afford them when you see the defensive strucutre

P/K -no reason not to have the best

DL-virtually ignore them. unless there is a rookie you cant help draft, you can fill these places with driftwood, low round picks, and guys on one year deals. Remember, if you can score first, the other team will be passing all day, making these guys less important against the run

LB-keep one-two good linebackers around, and keep picking up one or two here in the draft. I think it's pretty affordable to keep solid LB's, so you should keep them around when you can. You'll also find it's better to play a 3-4, so you want decent guys

CB-keep some good ones around, they will be key to your defense. But more important than one superstar are 3 good DB's. don't overpay for a star if it'll cost you depth. try to keep 3-4 dbs that are solid on the roster, keep 1-2 in long term deals and keep younger guys until there contracts expire and move on.

S-get superstars. They are relatively cheap, and 2 great safeties can have an amazing effect on your defense. again, have at least a good 3rd S.

On defense, i leave everything alone except the tendencies for coverage....you should play nickel 70 percent of the time, blitz 75 percent of the time , and blitz multiple players about 60 percent of the time, everything else should be 50.

Again, i dont touch the stuff at the top of the screen (the run d expectation stuff)

my blitz percentages go like this
30-30-0-30-3-3-2-2
(i dont rush one LB even though i DO play a 3-4)

and i leave the pass coverages alone.

I think ignoring the DL gives you enough money to keep everything else on the team together.

I can't believe how well this offense works, give it a shot.

Corey

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 03:25 AM   #2
ACStrider
High School JV

Actually, it looks like Morgado's offensive system in reverse. His system emphasises ball control and maintaining on offense that runs a ton (often enough to grab consistant yardage) and surprising the defense with some occastional passes...essentially a west-coast run offense. Defensively it's very similiar to what you propose, although the wording isn't quite the same. He does emphasize the importance of good DT's/NT, but the ends are somewhat expendable (and highly overpaid). He sees the safetys as the core of the defense and encourages 3 good safetys or 2 good safetys and 3 good corners, so that one can step in as the nickelback. Intersting concept, though. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:40 PM   #3
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

It looks a little like the old Midwest 35. I can't remember it accurately enough to verify this.

How are the interceptions on this? I currently use Fritz's All Air Attack for The College Years and it has similar strengths and weaknesses. Take a look and try it. See if you get better or worse results.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote