Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

OT: FBCB - Losing Coaches (HR)

Hi HR...first of all...love your game. I'm in season 2031 now and the only thing about the game that annoys me a bit is when you're at a higher profile school and you have to hire new coaches every year because they all leave to take jobs in other schools. What is the thought process in this? I mean I could understand if a coach stays with your school for 4-5 seasons and then takes a job as a head coach somewhere...but my coaches are leaving every year it's not necessarily to take a head coaching job. Some scouts...for example...are taking scouting jobs at a lesser school.

Is there a chance that you could make the movement less volatile in the next update?

MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:46 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

It's great the way it is.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

I don't think UTEP has had the same assistant coaches for consecutive seasons since Don Haskins retired in '99. That's just the way that college baketball is today...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:09 PM   #4
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Assistant coach movement IS very frequent in real life. But, you now have the ability to offer raises to your assistants, so that should prevent the "leaving for lesser schools" problem in some instances.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:40 PM   #5
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I don't think UTEP has had the same assistant coaches for consecutive seasons since Don Haskins retired in '99. That's just the way that college baketball is today...

On the flipside...you look at Duke and they have had Johnny Dawkins (7 years)...Chris Collins (4 years) and Steve Wojciechowski (5 years) on their staff. Like I said in my original post...I don't expect coaches to be with me forever...but even at a school as high profile as Duke...the most inexperienced assistant has been with them for four years. I think that's pretty realistic. I can't keep anyone on my team for more than one.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

bump for HR.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
Peregrine
Pro Starter

The coaches do occasionally stay loyal, I recently had one coaching assistant under me (though at a pretty low level school) for 6 years. When I moved to another school, he stayed behind and was bumped to head coach! Had never seen that before.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:37 PM   #8
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

If coaches are leaving to go to a lesser school, the odds are that they are getting a decent raise. What sort of salaries are you paying? I made some adjustments in the last update to reduce this somewhat along with the option to give the coaches raises. One addition that I can see would be to have the coaches let you know when they feel they need a raise. It would be most common to lose coaches in a situation where you paid them the minimum that they were asking for when you hired them and then their attributes went up. When I pay them more I don't have nearly as much trouble with them leaving for other schools. At the higher levels they do tend to leave to be head coaches a lot though. If others have thoughts on this I'm open to hearing them. Before the last update, the movement was definately too high. I'm curious whether people are seeing any improvement in this since then.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:06 AM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign
If coaches are leaving to go to a lesser school, the odds are that they are getting a decent raise. What sort of salaries are you paying? I made some adjustments in the last update to reduce this somewhat along with the option to give the coaches raises. One addition that I can see would be to have the coaches let you know when they feel they need a raise. It would be most common to lose coaches in a situation where you paid them the minimum that they were asking for when you hired them and then their attributes went up. When I pay them more I don't have nearly as much trouble with them leaving for other schools. At the higher levels they do tend to leave to be head coaches a lot though. If others have thoughts on this I'm open to hearing them. Before the last update, the movement was definately too high. I'm curious whether people are seeing any improvement in this since then.

I REALLY like the idea of getting some sort of salary adjustment warning... or at least a chance to counter another team's offer. I don't mind seeing a coach go to better money or a head coaching job at another team, but I hate losing talent that I can afford to keep without a chance to match the offer.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:09 AM   #10
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
On the flipside...you look at Duke and they have had Johnny Dawkins (7 years)...Chris Collins (4 years) and Steve Wojciechowski (5 years) on their staff. Like I said in my original post...I don't expect coaches to be with me forever...but even at a school as high profile as Duke...the most inexperienced assistant has been with them for four years. I think that's pretty realistic. I can't keep anyone on my team for more than one.

Thing is...when Wojo and Collins started, they were too young to be considered for the most part (see Pastner @ AZ). Now, they also might not leave unless it's for a top job. As far as Dawkins, apparently he doesn't want to leave...
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:09 AM   #11
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I REALLY like the idea of getting some sort of salary adjustment warning... or at least a chance to counter another team's offer. I don't mind seeing a coach go to better money or a head coaching job at another team, but I hate losing talent that I can afford to keep without a chance to match the offer.

This is a good idea...like a "Hey, I got offered 160k by St. Johns...whattya think?"
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:23 AM   #12
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Dawkins plans on taking over the program when K calls it quits.

And the reason most of the Duke guys haven't left may have something to do with the lack of success that their Duke predecessors have achieved.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:30 AM   #13
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I still think coach movement is too high for assistants. I think there are some teams that have problems keeping coaches for more than a season or two, but there are always counter examples where assistant coaches seem to stay forever.

And even if this is realistic for coaching turnover (which it isn't, I've rarely heard of every single assistant coach quitting under a top line team the same season) I'd argue that playability should trump the excessive movement. This is one of the few (maybe the only) parts of the games that seems like a chore, rather than pure fun.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:17 AM   #14
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I don't think we need the assistants to notify us every time they've received another offer, but I think what would help is to get some kind of heads up like "Hey I've been here for three years and I've gotten better at my job, how about a raise to X?" Then you could accept/decline it.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote