Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(Soccer) What is it with football and stupid uniform rules?

First American Football, 15 yard penalties and $15,000 fines for wearing your socks an inch too high, and now...

(note: 6 Points is the equivalent of two wins (3 for a win, 1 for a draw), and the teams in the group play home and home, for a total of ten games)

Cameroon's hopes of qualifying for the 2006 World Cup have been hit after Fifa docked them six points for their one-pice kit in the African Cup of Nations.

Fifa rules only permit the use of a separate jersey and shorts and has fined Cameroon £86,000 (US$154,000).

After Cameroon used the one-piece kit for the start of the Nations Cup competition Fifa ordered them to have a different outfit for the quarter-finals.

But when they ran out in the same gear for their last-eight tie with Nigeria Fifa warned them they would face sanctions.

The Fifa statement added: "Fifa had shown leniency at the time for Cameroon's attire in the group round of the competition after the association had given assurances that the team would wear authorised playing kit in the knock-out phases.

"Despite this agreement, Cameroon subsequently wore the same equipment in the quarter-finals.

"The Disciplinary Committee opened an inquiry on 13 February, 2004 in order to rule on this serious infringement of the Laws of the Game and the association's failure to fulfil the pledge made to Fifa."

Cameroon begin their World Cup qualifying campaign in African Group Three along with Egypt, Ivory Coast, Libya, Sudan and Benin.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Hey, if that means Benin has an easier path to the Cup, then I'm all for it.

Go Benin!!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Since Cameroon is in such a weak group, they should still have an edge on all those other nations when the group stage is over. With that said, however, they were warned about their uniforms, so I think they deserve the punishment.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Since Cameroon is in such a weak group, they should still have an edge on all those other nations when the group stage is over. With that said, however, they were warned about their uniforms, so I think they deserve the punishment.

weak ??? with Egypt and Ivory Coast ? weak ???
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 03:16 AM   #5
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Cameroon got screwed.
Blatter (and company?) want women to play in those exact same outfits, so they can look at other things during women's games, yet men are not allowed to do so.
Disgusting!

And to backup BreizhManu: a group with Egypt and Ivory Coast, with 6 points down, is a "mission impossible" for Cameroon.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 07:58 AM   #6
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
If they have specific rules that say shorts and jersey, then they have those rules. I don't see the problem.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:00 AM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

It's soccer - I don't see the relevancy.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:31 AM   #8
3ric
College Starter

It's not the first time Cameroon has been penalized for having unusual team kits, remember the sleeveless shirts they had a couple of years back that caused a similar response from FIFA.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:49 AM   #9
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric
It's not the first time Cameroon has been penalized for having unusual team kits, remember the sleeveless shirts they had a couple of years back that caused a similar response from FIFA.

Cameroon...the fashion innovators of the footballing world.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

One piece uniform and men's anything should never be used in the same sentence.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #11
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Anyone have a pic of the uniform?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 05:01 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well, according to the FIFA Laws of the Game, Law 4 states that the player must have the following:

1. Shirt/jersey with sleeves, same color as teammates
2. Shorts, same color as teammates
3. Shinguards, MUST be covered completely by socks
4. Socks, same color as teammates
5. Shoes

I've always thought the sleeve thing was crap. I mean, most of the (in particular) female players I know roll up their sleeves and tuck them into their sports bras, anyway. FIFA is weird sometimes, I think that's all that can really be said...

~tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:59 PM   #13
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreizhManu
weak ??? with Egypt and Ivory Coast ? weak ???

Well, okay, Egypt and Ivory Coast aren't exactly Zambia or Rwanda, but can they really hang with Cameroon? I'm not trying to be silly here. I really don't know the answer. Can they?
Old 04-17-2004, 10:49 PM   #14
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

here's the photo of the uniforms, for those to lazy to look for them:

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:26 AM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here ya go.

(Knew the SkyDog pic would be there tho )
Old 04-18-2004, 06:46 AM   #16
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Well, okay, Egypt and Ivory Coast aren't exactly Zambia or Rwanda, but can they really hang with Cameroon? I'm not trying to be silly here. I really don't know the answer. Can they?
Cameroon is a level higher, but Egypt and Ivory Coast are hard to get past with a 6-point margin, if not impossible.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:30 AM   #17
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

let's say Cameroon is in Africa what France, Italy or Spain are in europe.Easily a top 3 team, probably the best one.

Egypt and Ivory Coast would be like England, Nederlands or Portugal, easily top 10 teams, Ivory Coast being very similar to Nederlands, lots of talented players (e.g : Drogba) but often unable to perform well under pressure.

And in the latest African cup : Cameroon 0 Egypt 0 (Ivory Coast eliminated by South Africa in qualifications)
Old 04-18-2004, 09:08 AM   #18
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still waiting to hear why the hell they are called "kits?" Uniform, i understand that; jersey, got that one,too; but what the hell is kit?
Old 04-18-2004, 05:31 PM   #19
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Egypt and Ivory Coast would be like England, Nederlands or Portugal, easily top 10 teams, Ivory Coast being very similar to Nederlands, lots of talented players (e.g : Drogba) but often unable to perform well under pressure.
Note that Ivory Coast tends to play in orange like the Dutch team does, making the similarity funnier then intended.

I love the way how Breizh spelled Netherlands with a "d" in stead of "th" like in the Dutch language.

Note that I must be born in the wrong country, I seem to only perform well under pressure...

Kit... Kit... Am I the only person thinking of a black car with red lights pretending to be the mouth of Michael Knight's best friend?
Old 04-18-2004, 06:36 PM   #20
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Note that Ivory Coast tends to play in orange like the Dutch team does, making the similarity funnier then intended.

I love the way how Breizh spelled Netherlands with a "d" in stead of "th" like in the Dutch language.

Note that I must be born in the wrong country, I seem to only perform well under pressure...

Kit... Kit... Am I the only person thinking of a black car with red lights pretending to be the mouth of Michael Knight's best friend?

that'd be KITT, MIJB#19!

good luck in your volleyball mathce.s
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #21
Bosco
H.S. Freshman Team

The punishment sounds a little extreme, but they did get a warning.
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:21 PM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

No, i thought of the stinkin' talkin car too! That is why i put my last post, what is the origin of "kit?"
Old 04-18-2004, 07:45 PM   #23
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

that's because of hattrick
Old 04-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
It's soccer - I don't see the relevancy.

I likely would have agreed with you, until I became hooked on CM 03/04 Now, I want to learn everything I can about the sport.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:18 AM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear why the hell they are called "kits?" Uniform, i understand that; jersey, got that one,too; but what the hell is kit?

Uniform and jersey you can understand because you associate that with an article of clothing that everyone on the same team wears. Kit means the same thing.

Your sentance is akin to saying: "I'm still waiting to hear why you called him 'mate?' Friend, I understand that; Pal, got that one too; but what the hell is mate?"
Old 04-19-2004, 05:57 AM   #26
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
that's because of hattrick
That's what I figured, but funny nevertheless.