Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Very open question (wonder where it will lead)

Should laws reflect morality?

Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:35 PM   #2
vtbub
College Starter

Yup that's an open question.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:42 PM   #3
vtbub
College Starter

Dola,

Since no two peoples moral values are the same, it would nearly impossible to legislate solely based on certain peoples morals.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:43 PM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I don't even understand the question.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:44 PM   #5
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
I don't even understand the question.

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:45 PM   #6
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Some morals can be agreed upon...I mean people shouldn't kill other people, or steal from other people, am I right on that?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:46 PM   #7
McSweeny
College Starter

well what if you had to steal to survive?
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:46 PM   #8
McSweeny
College Starter

dola

or kill in self defense
Old 02-07-2003, 01:47 PM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Or kill for food..

errrr....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:48 PM   #10
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Kill other people, kill in self defense is justified, because your life is threatened, you wouldn't eat other people, you wouldn't steal to survive, if there was services available so you wouldn't starve...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 02-07-2003, 01:51 PM   #11
McSweeny
College Starter

sure i understand, i was just trying to show that even the morals that some people strongly feel can never be questions, can indeed be questioned
Old 02-07-2003, 01:53 PM   #12
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

well if you were starving yes...but laws don't reflect that, but you could make a moral law to prevent the starving of your people...I think most people would be in agreement on that one too...
Old 02-07-2003, 01:54 PM   #13
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

dola..

the real challenge is a child brought up by morally questonable parents...let's say he's never been brought up to respect life or others...is he really doing wrong?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:55 PM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's not an open question. It can be answered with a "yes" or "no".

Maybe.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-07-2003 at 01:55 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:56 PM   #15
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
The marijuana thread got me thinking about moral positions on drugs. This in turn led me to think about the reasons for various laws. Certainly we have regulation of commerce and public safety, but a number of laws appear to based solely (or at least primarily) on morality.

The question I asked myself is "should we legislate morality?"
Old 02-07-2003, 01:57 PM   #16
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
That's not an open question. It can be answered with a "yes" or "no".

Maybe.

I think mine is a yes or no...if he was brought up with parents who have murdered and stolen, without any outside influence to teach him otherwise, is he really doing wrong?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:59 PM   #17
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot
I think mine is a yes or no...if he was brought up with parents who have murdered and stolen, without any outside influence to teach him otherwise, is he really doing wrong?

That in itself is an interesting (and often asked) question. Is morality relative, or is there an ultimate morality.

I lean towards ultimate morality, with relative morality being an illusion of ignorance.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:01 PM   #18
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
That in itself is an interesting (and often asked) question. Is morality relative, or is there an ultimate morality.

I lean towards ultimate morality, with relative morality being an illusion of ignorance.

True, but didn't tribes of old, hunt down and kill other tribes, and sometimes eat them...when did someone figure out that this was wrong to do?
Old 02-07-2003, 02:03 PM   #19
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:

Well, I of course believe morality is ultimate....

As far as governing/laws are concerned though, I tend to believe that the fairest way of making laws in a free society is to legislate based on the following principle:

An individual has the right to govern his or her own life, so long as he or she does not participate in any acts that infridge, either by force or by fraud, upon another's right to life, liberty and property.

Basically that sums it up for me.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:07 PM   #20
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog

An individual has the right to govern his or her own life, so long as he or she does not participate in any acts that infridge, either by force or by fraud, upon another's right to life, liberty and property.

So it should be legal for people to have "farm" sex in a public place?

What about if it is not in public?
Old 02-07-2003, 02:11 PM   #21
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:

True. At some point there need to be standards of community decency established as well. THAT is something that can/should be left up to the states imho.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:21 PM   #22
clintl
College Starter

Quote:

1) Could be considered infringing on the rights of those who don't want to watch that sort of thing.

2) Only if the animal consents.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 02:26 PM   #23
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Man's laws will not be the same as God's laws. While there have and still continue to be some noble attempts at legislating morality (or God's laws), as long as you have us writing them and applying to the general population, while they may vaguely reflect morality, they won't be acted upon accordingly.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 02:28 PM   #24
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Society determines moral decency and the government they elect(at least here) reflects it in general in the laws.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:41 PM   #25
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
Society determines moral decency and the government they elect(at least here) reflects it in general in the laws.

And that is the most practical solution.

Let me give you an example of the differences. In Proverbs, it says that no words from your mouth shall be crooked or perverse. So how does that square with the First Amendment? I think it was George Washington that said that these amendments assume a godly or a righteous people following them. Because that was never the case, you have the contradiction that the First Amendment can (and should) protect Larry Flynt but it was not conceived among godly people that anyone would ever do that in that first place! In other words, the First Amendment, in its noble attempt, was framed for good (like protesting against tyranny). But since we have to have laws, we must allow the bad in order to allow the good.

Last edited by Anrhydeddu : 02-07-2003 at 02:43 PM.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 02:49 PM   #26
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
And that is the most practical solution.

Let me give you an example of the differences. In Proverbs, it says that no words from your mouth shall be crooked or perverse. So how does that square with the First Amendment? I think it was George Washington that said that these amendments assume a godly or a righteous people following them. Because that was never the case, you have the contradiction that the First Amendment can (and should) protect Larry Flynt but it was not conceived among godly people that anyone would ever do that in that first place! In other words, the First Amendment, in its noble attempt, was framed for good (like protesting against tyranny). But since we have to have laws, we must allow the bad in order to allow the good.

Freedom of Speech for everybody, including the hate groups sadly...but that is what makes our country great...
Old 02-07-2003, 02:59 PM   #27
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:

Just remember, in Florida it is now unconstitutional to put your pregnant pig in a small cage after you rock her world.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 03:39 PM   #28
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by clintl
1) Could be considered infringing on the rights of those who don't want to watch that sort of thing.

2) Only if the animal consents.

What about consensual sex between a parent and child?

What about consensual marriage between a parent and child?
Old 02-07-2003, 03:40 PM   #29
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf

So then it is okay for laws to reflect morality? Is okay to legislate morality?
Old 02-07-2003, 03:44 PM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
So then it is okay for laws to reflect morality? Is okay to legislate morality

In a general sense yes since we elect the folks that make the laws.