Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

N.E.R.D.

Anyone else feeling their very recent CD , Fly or Die? Ive listened to it several times now and Im still not sure which Genre it is, but I definately dig it. Definately a lot less rap-like then their debut. Rolling Stone gave it 3 stars.

Last edited by stevew : 04-13-2004 at 11:22 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:36 AM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I don't own it but a friend of mine has it and I've listened to it all the way through about five times. The more I hear it, the more I like it. You're right, very difficult to classify, but I guess the bottom line is its good. Definitely not what I expected though.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:41 AM   #3
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

very very good. and interesting.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:20 AM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

best. line. ever. from a song. "Her ass is a spaceship, I want to ride."

It's great like you've said because they do a great job of not being "hip-hop" with their N.E.R.D project. They save their Neptunes stuff for that, I think. (Incidentally, that CD was hot too...the one they released "Clones") But yeah, its good, solid stuff and catchy as always.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Last CD was better.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:29 AM   #6
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Last CD was better.

I haven't heard the new one yet, but I loved the last one.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
cwilloughby
Mascot

I fiend both of their cds.

In Search Of...
I loved Run to the Sun and What Happened. Two of my favorite songs, ever. I kind of wish they would have joined them together on the album like they do in their live performances. After hearing Lapdance 209,098,808 times, I have grown more and more tired of it. It feels like it doesn't belong on the record.

Fly Or Die...
It took me a few listens for this one to grow on me. I love the track Maybe. It owns me. I dig the vast array of tempos and rhythms. There is a song on the record for most moods that I find myself in.

Generally, it seems like they departed even more from the typical electronic back beats that exist under most rap, r&b, and pop these days for a more "live band" feel. I appreciate the fact that they aren't constricting themself to a certain genre or "sound". It reminds me a lot of the new Black Eyed Peas (BEP) album, in which they mix and match all genrees and sounds. If you like N*E*R*D, then I suggest checking their Elephunk album out.

Their live show rocks the house as well. I took my gf to see them with the BEP in Denver 2 weeks ago. Going in, I expected more synthesized background music than live music, but was surprised by their use of live bands. The BEP definitely stole the show when they actually showcased the musical talents of every member of the group and band individually. It was amazing.
cwilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote