Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
wishbone
High School JV

Truck Choice? What would you do?

So with my tax return, I'm planning on spending about $2000 on a truck. I want something to get me to work and back each day with an occasional highway trip. I also need something that will handle a piano or barkdust or whatever else my wife decides needs to get moved. I do not want to screw with DEQ which in Portland, Oregon means that vehicles 1975 and newer with gas engines must pass an emissions test.

I had pretty much decided on a 68-72 Chevy/GMC until my Mom calls me last night and says my Grampa has a 85 Ford F250 w/ 6.9L diesel that my Dad used to have. If I could get that for under $3000 it would be a pretty good deal.

Chevy Pros
Standard vehicle that has 1000 aftermarket parts and accessories
I like the styling on those Chevys more than the 85 Ford
I've seen a lot of these trucks under $2000
Easier to work on in general, or at least less fear of messing something up (I know nothing about diesels)

Cons
Uknown history
rust and/or body work

Ford Pros
10 years newer
Diesel engines are almost exempt from DEQ here. They get a particle check that checks the density of the particles. Thick black exhaust, no pass. Not so thick, pass.
Extended cab
I'm pretty sure it has 4WD
The original owner was a farmer who had personal policy to buy a new truck every 5 years. He bought this one in 85, another in 90 and another in 95. In 95, he sold this one to my Dad for $4000 ( I think dad took his pistol with him or something) It had 77K miles, a 2 month old paint job and was immaculate. Dad had it for 2-4 years and sold it to my Grampa, who has driven it around town and a couple of trips up and down the west coast. I would be surprised if it had more than 150K on it now, and I understand that some work was just done on it and it is running great.
Has an old stereo of mine in it, pioneer tape deck with a 12 disc changer in it. (Or it did)

Cons
Don't know the current condition
Not as comfortable working on diesel engine

So assuming prices within $500 which would you take? The Ford is a non-turbo with a manual 4-speed if that makes a difference.

wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:11 AM   #2
FBPro
College Starter

Ford, but I drive a Ranger that I love so I'm partial.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote