Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
hukarez
College Starter

Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire!

Looks like this one got released! Haven't had a chance to pick this one up too. Whole lot of $20 games coming out, it seems.

I haven't touched JA2 in ages...and I've never tried any of the mods for the game. Though, I wonder if this version will still remain compatible with those others? (a la Urban Chaos)
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just picked it up as my recently ordered game from paradox looks like it won't get here in time to meet my need for an addition game during my next twelve days of vacation. I've never played JA2 and since Wildfire also includes the original JA2 for a total of 20 dollars and I've heard a lot of good press on the original, it seemed like it would be hard to go wrong with this purchase. I'm just about to try it out now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:25 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm just finishing reading through the manual (sadly it is only on CD except for a brief insert) and I can't believe how interesting this game sounds. I'm really looking forward to start playing in a few minutes. I find myself wondering how this game has been out for almost 5 years and I've never tried it before now (the original JA2 that is.)
Old 03-21-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
hukarez
College Starter

Sweet deal. Is the source code available on the CD too?

I haven't been able to find the game at my local game stores yet. I figure, it'll show up sooner or later.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yes, the source code is there on the first disk and there is an option to install it. I'm new to the series so I'm a little confused, but it seems like the wildfire game is a similar story (same game?) to the regular jagged alliance 2 with just a bunch of mods done to it? They both have the same opening scenes with very few deviations. In any case, I'm playing the original first (I just started it a little while ago) and then I will play the wildfire (mod?) game (which I just started for a few minutes to make sure it worked.)
Old 03-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #6
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The impression I got was that Wildfire is a mod for JA2. Supposedly, it's a very well-done mod (as I believe the mod's developer had access to the game's code during Wildfire's development), but it's still a mod. I wish a mod like this were out for JA2: Unfinished Business, but I think I'm the only person who reallyreally liked Unfinished Business, so I guess that's out.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That makes sense. I wonder if I should bother playing the original first or not. According to the box for wildfire 90% of the maps have been modified from the original creating a whole new experience. So, hopefully playing the original wouldn't make the "new game" too boring? Also, the mod is supposed to have a dozen new weapons added as well as stronger AI and military facilities which have more realistic defenses. Also, subquests are supposed to have a bigger role. With the maps being "modified", I guess I will play the original first and then the modified wildfire game.

Edited to add: Still seems like a good deal to someone like me who never bought the original game to get the mod and the original for 20$.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-21-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:00 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Am I just a bad strategist, or are the early battles very hard.

*SPOILER ALERT (very early in the game)

I'm trying to take over Dressen and I made sure to rest my guys and gals to full health before I attempted the battle. I'm not saving mid battle, because that seems too cheap. I have a team of 5 mercs (well 2 aren't too well trained one being my character and one being one of the rebels Ira whom I recruited) So far, I've tried about a half dozen times and I can take out the 8 or so enemies (I'm playing on the experienced difficulty level) but not without at least one and sometimes two deaths.) I'm already starting to like these mercs and hate to think that they are going to die so easily, but should I just be accepting the loss of some life? If so, then I think I need to purchase insurance on my investment.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:07 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Double Dola -

I finally took that darn airfield!!! I had 4 of my 5 guys badly injured but my starting mercenary has high medical skill too (imagine that ) and he kept everyone alive. Hopefully, I don't get attacked before my guys can heal more permeantly (and hopefully it doesn't take too long as of this second I don't have an income source and two of my mercs only have 4 days left on their contract)
Old 03-21-2004, 10:27 PM   #10
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Dola -

Am I just a bad strategist, or are the early battles very hard.

*SPOILER ALERT (very early in the game)

I'm trying to take over Dressen and I made sure to rest my guys and gals to full health before I attempted the battle. I'm not saving mid battle, because that seems too cheap. I have a team of 5 mercs (well 2 aren't too well trained one being my character and one being one of the rebels Ira whom I recruited) So far, I've tried about a half dozen times and I can take out the 8 or so enemies (I'm playing on the experienced difficulty level) but not without at least one and sometimes two deaths.) I'm already starting to like these mercs and hate to think that they are going to die so easily, but should I just be accepting the loss of some life? If so, then I think I need to purchase insurance on my investment.

With the original? Well, I once took Dressen(all three sectors) without the enemies firing a single shot. Nightvision and stealthy is where it is at! (Although that completely changes mid game).
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:54 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

How the heck do I get nightvision? I thought I couldn't order anything until I took Dressen?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:11 AM   #12
klayman
College Benchwarmer

It's a character trait, I think. You get it at the begining when you choose your character. It has been so long I can't remember if you get goggles to start with or not, but it improves your night time vision I think.

That, and the silencer you get with the stealthy trait prevents the enemies from even reacting for the first couple of towns. After awhile though, their armour gets so good that it takes over 5 shots in the head just to kill them .

Last edited by klayman : 03-22-2004 at 12:16 AM.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:43 AM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I didn't get either of those things as a character trait. I got knifer and teacher as my character traits. No special items. However, you were very helpful as I got this wildfire edition and the manual is skimpy and I missed the part about using stealth mode. I am walking around in stealth mode at times now which is definitely helpful (I restarted the game cause my guys were doing so bad.) Also, I didn't use run at all before. Now I use it quite a bit particularly with my two knifer guys as they will sometimes flank the enemy as my gunmen provide cover. However, no night goggles or silencer yet.