Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2003, 11:57 AM   #51
Easy Mac

Well, seeing as how some in the US are suing Saudi Arabia, I don't see how it would be entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:51 PM   #52
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
Why would ask anyone to rent that tripe?

I guess you could could use it under the leg of a wobbly table, but an old newspaper would do the trick and you would not have to return it in three days.

Well, I guess there are a few reasons, but number one would be that most people seem to think of war only in terms of politics and nations. War has very real human consequences, both on soldiers and civilians. This movie demonstrates this beautifuly. Oh yeah, and it is true.
astralhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:54 PM   #53
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
Well, I guess there are a few reasons, but number one would be that most people seem to think of war only in terms of politics and nations. War has very real human consequences, both on soldiers and civilians. This movie demonstrates this beautifuly. Oh yeah, and it is true.

It is true in a Hollywood sort of way...plus wasn't it Oliver Stone written/directed, one of the U.S. major conspiracy theorists?

Not to knock the movie, it is good, but there has to be something better out there...
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:57 PM   #54
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Oh yeah, and it is true.

Uh huh, just like Oliver Stone's JFK.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:03 PM   #55
astralhaze
College Prospect

Yes, it was a true story. It was based on the book by Ron Kovik, the protaganist of the story, who co-wrote the screenplay. I'm sure there were stretches of the truth, just like any movie that is based on a true story, but the key events are all true.

Kovik grew up dreaming of joining the marines and fighting the communists. Like most, he had very bad experiences in Vietnam and then was paralyzed. Later he became a very vocal and effective critic of the war in Vietnam and continues speaking out against war today.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:11 PM   #56
TestAmenT
test

Whew....lot of anger in this thread. =)
Old 02-03-2003, 02:15 PM   #57
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Israeli troops killed a Palestinian child in front of his family today.

Israeli troops defended themselves against a Palestinian armed with a grenade today.

Both could be a factual description of the same event.

Last edited by Fritz : 02-03-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:23 PM   #58
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Israeli troops killed a Palestinian child in front of his family today.

Israeli troops defended themselves against a Palestinian armed with a grenade today.

Both could be a factual description of the same event.

No kidding? You could stand to lose that air of superiority.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:25 PM   #59
JimJam19
n00b

About my thread, im not saying its all Arabs, although thats how i made it out to sound, hell i dont even know all about the middle east and all that crap.....also im not saying i wish death upon all the middle east people, i was just stating the obvious, in war, people die, whether it be a soldier or a civilian, thats the way it is.....and if it takes that to disarm someone who poses a threat to me, so be it........honestly, if there is going to be a huge debate about civilians dying during war, its a load of crap, bc that can be applied to anything in everyday life.......why not outlaw handguns and all kinds of firearms? that kills innocent people all yr long and for no reason, at least during war we are eliminating a threat, there is a reason behind it.
JimJam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:29 PM   #60
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
No kidding? You could stand to lose that air of superiority.

please clarify your observation.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:32 PM   #61
KirbyPuckett
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by JimJam19
About my thread, im not saying its all Arabs, although thats how i made it out to sound, hell i dont even know all about the middle east and all that crap.....also im not saying i wish death upon all the middle east people, i was just stating the obvious, in war, people die, whether it be a soldier or a civilian, thats the way it is.....and if it takes that to disarm someone who poses a threat to me, so be it........honestly, if there is going to be a huge debate about civilians dying during war, its a load of crap, bc that can be applied to anything in everyday life.......why not outlaw handguns and all kinds of firearms? that kills innocent people all yr long and for no reason, at least during war we are eliminating a threat, there is a reason behind it.

Oh yeah, we were talking about
his or her thread im not saying its all Arabs although that is how he or she made it out to sound hell he or she do not even know all about the middle east and all that crap
.What are you saying?I'm not sure I understand the implication of that.If there ever is, I will let you know. Aren't you usually honest?Becuase you asked me to."Soon I think" kills innocent people all yr long and for no reason at least during war we are eliminating a threat there is a reason behind it ?
I get Soon I think.
KirbyPuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:34 PM   #62
astralhaze
College Prospect

You just stated the obvious in a manner which indicated that no one else would realize it but you. Of course, that is par for the course.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:40 PM   #63
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
You just stated the obvious in a manner which indicated that no one else would realize it but you. Of course, that is par for the course.

I did? It is?
Old 02-03-2003, 02:54 PM   #64
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm sorry, astralhaze, but I think you're extending your own bias on Fritz. I sense no superiority at all. It is simply a collection of statements that make the point that two statements, both factually true, of the same situation, can yield completely different viewpoints and outrages. I am not sure if he is extending that to the media coverage of the Middle East or to the more recent Kovik screenplay/book discussions, but his point seems valid to me. I detect no "superiority" in it at all, and would hypothesize that you feel that way because you probably disagree with Fritz enough to actively dislike him.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:59 PM   #65
astralhaze
College Prospect

Of course his point is valid. That is why I said it was obvious. Anyone without intelectual blinders or willful ignorance realizes that. I don't actively dislike Fritz, but the way he constantly comes back with one liners rather than actually engaging in discussion and stating his opinion is quite condescending. It indicates that he is above the conversation and doesn't need to explain anything, his one comment should suffice.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:24 PM   #66
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Why does one need to be verbose to make a point or to communicate?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:25 PM   #67
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Of course his point is valid. That is why I said it was obvious. Anyone without intelectual blinders or willful ignorance realizes that. I don't actively dislike Fritz, but the way he constantly comes back with one liners rather than actually engaging in discussion and stating his opinion is quite condescending. It indicates that he is above the conversation and doesn't need to explain anything, his one comment should suffice.

Then state something like this next time. Don't just throw out "air of superiority" and be done with it. Your meaning is no more clear than Fritz's in that case, and I would say you might even be then guilty of the very same "superiority" that you perceive in Fritz.

I still think that much of the "air of superiority" you perceive is entirely in your mind. Fritz does write with a lot of "confidence" but he is not alone in that category. You do the same, and many others here do as well, including myself I would imagine.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-03-2003 at 03:26 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:54 PM   #68
astralhaze
College Prospect

Could be. Maybe it's just me. That's just how he strikes me anyway.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:20 PM   #69
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

for the record, I have never struck astralhaze
Old 02-03-2003, 04:33 PM   #70
astralhaze
College Prospect

My spoon is too big.

I have a banana.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:49 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
for the record, I have never struck astralhaze

But on the bright side, it's early yet
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:37 PM   #72
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Why does one need to be verbose to make a point or to communicate?

Agreed.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:53 PM   #73
Anthony
Banned

i'm a peaceful person too.

i just want cheaper gas.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:56 PM   #74
Anthony
Banned

and motherfucker - full service doesn't mean you just pump my gas for me. check under that friggin hood and clean my windows.

this is how i roll in 2003. word to Big Bird.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote