Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
azjoe_02
High School JV

Stategic Gaming

What is the best (non-sport) stratagy based game out there?
I have Civ3 and besides that and FOF4 I really can't say that I have seen a game that has interested me enough to buy it. I LOVE stategic games, like war based (commanding troops etc) or controlling your empire like in Civ3. Just asking what y'all are playing, I guess.

azjoe_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:19 PM   #2
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

If we can regain access to the old board, Chief Rum had a great dynasty for Medieval:Total War. I bought that one after following the dynasty for quite some time. Even Shogun: Total War is a pretty good game, a mix of turn based strategy along with real time battles...Along the same lines, Anxiety did a really nice job on a dyansty covering Europa Universalis 2..the only thing is, I haven't had much luck finding the game anywhere around here...jusy my .02 from following some great dynasties around here
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:56 PM   #3
ACStrider
High School JV

I think that there is a lack of quality strategy games out there. Every since I was little, my dad and I played the classic board games and progressed to computer games. In the late 80's and early 90's there was a string of strategy computer games made by SSI that were decent, but none were ever complete enough to warrent long-term replayability. I few years ago, I saw the first game in ages that really broke that mold. If you're looking for quality strategy games, check out the Panzer General series. Panzer General I was very good. Panzer General II was the best. After Panzer General II, it went downhill. Those are my recommendations off the top of my head. I have the entire civ series and love playing it. I also liked Starcraft. It's real time (which takes out strategic elements if you ask me), but there are some elements of warfare that attracted me. Sorry for the SC tangent...but I would agree that there is a lack of quality pure strategy games out there. As a matter of fact, I'm looking to make my own strategy games for this reason.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:52 PM   #4
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I can suggest a few:

Europa Universalis II: been out awhile, very good game though. You play on a stragetic scale from 1420-1819. Real-Time using the whole world broke up into provinces. Excellent game.

Hearts of Iron: Using a EUII modified engine, it's a WWII grand strategy game where you can play from 1936-1948. Just getting into this one, highly complicated, but a lot of fun.

Strategic Command: This is from battlefield.com It's a WWII game that looks a lot like the old board game Hitler's War. Simplier than Hearts of Iron to get into, but challenging to play.

Medieval Total War: Mentioned above. Personally I enjoy EUII more for its depth, but I like playing the battles in this one.

There's a lot of RTS games out there. My favorites are Age of Mythology and Cossacks.

Upcoming Games:
Crusader Kings: Another EUII spawn, set from 1066-1420.
Rise of Nations: RTS game that's supposed to add diplomacy elements to it. Sounds interesting.

That should keep you busy.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:16 AM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Age of Mythology is a fun game IF you like playing multi-player online games.

If you prefer a solo environment play a game like EU2. It is MUCH better for a single player. AoM relies on the fact that the players dont suck.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:16 AM   #6
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by azjoe_02
What is the best (non-sport) stratagy based game out there?
I have Civ3 and besides that and FOF4 I really can't say that I have seen a game that has interested me enough to buy it. I LOVE stategic games, like war based (commanding troops etc) or controlling your empire like in Civ3. Just asking what y'all are playing, I guess.

Allow me to put in a good word for Imperialism II. All of the fun of conquering the world, with about 10% of the micromanagement. It's nearly 4 years old now, but I STILL consider it the state-of-the-art in turn-based strategy games. It's out of print, but you can pick it up for less than $10 at your favorite online auction house.

If you really like moving troops around, I've heard good things about the aforementioned Medieval: Total War and its prequel, Shogun: Total War. Not my thing, so I can't give a clear yea or nay on it.

I didn't much care for Civ III, but a game based on the Civ II engine that you might be interested in is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (SMAC). It's also about 4 years old and probably out of print, so that's another game that can be picked up on the cheap. I should let you know that I LOATHED this game, for reasons I don't remember. But I do think you might be interested in it.

And... that's about it.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 03:54 AM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

If you are a true board game to strategy game junkie, you might want to take a look at www.matrixgames.com they are building all kinds of great wargames and already have one of the most popular wargames of the last year in their arsenal Uncommon Valour.

Worth a look to see. They are also in the process (albeit long) of recreating a more indepth and updated version of Steel Panthers with Combat Leader and also trying to one-up the Close Combat series with Close Assault.

We will see how they all turn out, but don't hold your breath. These guys are all part timers. But when they crank out a title, it kicks ass.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #8
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Another vote for Medieval Total War.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:17 AM   #9
KWhit
Coordinator

I'll throw my vote to Alpha Centauri. If you like the Civ series, you'll like this.

It's basically Civ set in a Sci-Fi universe. Excellent game.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:32 AM   #10
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

How about Starcraft and Warcraft series for RTS ? I like those...
Old 02-03-2003, 11:55 AM   #11
ACStrider
High School JV

I liked Starcraft much more then Warcraft. I'm not into RTS games personally because so much of the time it becomes a matter of pure skill (micromanagement and reflexes) as opposed to strategy. Starcraft actually surprised me because it made a serious attempt at a counters system. For example, if you are a smart player, and you scout your opponent, you can figure out what your opponent is building. If you know what he is building, you can build appropriately by spending less in the way of resources and still providing something that will defeat the enemy. In this way, a player with less skill can actually beat someone with more skill but a weaker strategy. I was pleasently surprised by Starcraft in this regard. Warcraft seems to a much greater degree to fall under the skill and micro category. There's still some strategy involved, but if you can't micro quickly, you're screwed.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:00 PM   #12
Rembrandt
n00b

I always liked the Heroes of Might and Magic series. It is turned based, so it has less intense combat and more strategy.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:01 PM   #13
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Civ2 scenarios (Civ3 can't do scenarios yet)
Imperialism II
Impression's City-Building Series (Pharaoh, Zeus, expansion packs)
Medieval Total War

The first three have been on my regular rotation list for 3-4 years now, with MTW being added last year.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:51 PM   #14
McSweeny
College Starter

i'll second the Heroes of Might and Magic series
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:46 PM   #15
Go-Buckeyes
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
i'll second the Heroes of Might and Magic series

I'll "third" that one...I have just about all there is to have in the HOMM series...particularly HOMM3...good stuff.