Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2003, 10:03 PM   #1
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

What a Fun Weekend!

What a great weekend. On Friday, I lift wieghts for football. I come home, and there is mail for me. (Happy days when mail is for me) I look at it at, and it has WEST POINT in big bold letters at the top. I flip it over, and the return address is:

Director of Admissions
United States Military Academy
646 Swift Road
West Point, NY 10996-9905
Remeber I'm still a freshman.

OPen it up, and it says.

Dear COllege Prospect,

Congratulations! It is clear that you possess the academic skills to succesfully.......
We are contacting you because of your strong academic performace.

Cool.

Then I get to go snowboarding. Me and my friend keep hitting thsi one awesome jump where you can get a lot of air. After about the millionth time we go off of it, I am setting up to hit it again. Well low and behold some idiots get the great idea to sit at the bottom of the jump. I hit it, and i see them right away. I turn 90 degrees and slam hard on my butt, but miss them. Go up the chair lift, to try again. About to go off the jump and hear people screaming from the chairlift "WATCH OUT", too late now, and I see a guy off to the right, but his ski pole is sticking right in the ground right in front of me. I say to myself screw this, and give a forearm at top speed to that pole. That was great.

On Saturday, i babysit, and get paid $30 bucks to sit and play PS2 with the kids I babysit. Now Sunday, and I have to go back to school. Why can't more weekends be like this?

illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:11 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

Re: What a Fun Weekend!

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
Then I get to go snowboarding. ... Well low and behold some idiots get the great idea to sit at the bottom of the jump.

I would say 90% of the snowboarders I encounter fall into the "idiot" category.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:15 PM   #3
JimJam19
n00b

man i hate skiers when im snowboarding, they just get in the way.....im just kidding (not really).....i do hate however how from my experiences, whenever i go snowboarding, skiers NEVER give us any kind of respect or anything, they immediatly see us as "punk kids" who dont belong.....that really gets on my nerves, i swear every mountain i go to there is this subtle snowboarder vs skier war
JimJam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #4
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Congrats Future Ring Tapper .
Old 02-03-2003, 12:01 AM   #5
Craptacular
College Starter

I like to watch good snowboarders who know what they're doing (yes, I realize people have to learn). Unfortunately, most of the snowboarders that I seem to find like to sideslip down the entire slope (leave some snow on the hill please), or all decide to sit down in a group / line across the entire run. Honestly, there are more snowboarders with a punk attitude than skiers. Of course, there are problem skiers, but they seem to be far outnumbered by problem snowboarders, at least when I'm on the slopes.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:58 AM   #6
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Why can't more weekends be like this?

I personally would vote for fewer weekends like we had this weekend. I guess living in Texas just made it a little more in-your-face though.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:22 AM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing

Quote:
Congratulations! It is clear that you possess the academic skills to succesfully.......

What an excellent opportunity!
Old 02-03-2003, 10:28 AM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Re: Re: What a Fun Weekend!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tasan
I personally would vote for fewer weekends like we had this weekend. I guess living in Texas just made it a little more in-your-face though.

Very true.

Plus, I had to work all weekend. I mean, from Friday night to Sunday night I was at work for about thirty hours. And then I had to get up at 6:45 this morning for a 7:30am lab, ugh.

I'm certainly glad that all weekends aren't like this one.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:56 AM   #9
Craptacular
College Starter

illinifan:

Did you take the SAT in 8th grade (part of something like Midwest Talent Search)?? I did, and I always loved getting recruited by colleges and the military, then telling them I was a freshman in HS.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:08 AM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
I like to watch good snowboarders who know what they're doing (yes, I realize people have to learn). Unfortunately, most of the snowboarders that I seem to find like to sideslip down the entire slope (leave some snow on the hill please), or all decide to sit down in a group / line across the entire run. Honestly, there are more snowboarders with a punk attitude than skiers. Of course, there are problem skiers, but they seem to be far outnumbered by problem snowboarders, at least when I'm on the slopes.

I just got back from a ski-trip this weekend, and I agree completely with this statement. I haven't gone skiing in about 5 years, and in that time it seems boarding has taken over! I have no problem with this, as I've snowboarded before myself, but I noticed the same trends. There seemed to be snowboarders lying around all over the runs, just plopped down in the middle or as Craptacular said in a line along the top. Not only that, but many times the following scenario would play out:

- I'd ski up to a run and see a line of 2 or 3 skiers about to start down. One after another the skiers would start off, leaving distance between each other. I'd stop behind them and "wait my turn" so to speak. Then, all of a sudden a group of snowboarders would come flying by from the chairlift area and just proceed down the slope without so much as a glance at the lineup waiting patiently.

I was also cut off in the line for the chair lift 3 times, and twice it was by snowboarders who I guess felt they didn't have to wait in line like the rest of the world.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:20 AM   #11
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm sort of torn on the more/fewer weekends like this idea...on the one hand, I spent the weekend together with my SIG other at a posh 1900's timeline Inn in Maine where we were pampered and cared for the whole time. I proposed to the lovely lady and mazingly she said "YES". It was also her birthday Saturday, and I gave her a lovely Amethyst Necklace to match her ring, for which she was abundantly greatful.

ON the bad side, I've lived to see yet another Shuttle disaster and that threw a dark cloud over almost everything we did.

So I'm torn. very torn.

Ren
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:25 AM   #12
Craptacular
College Starter

Congrats RendeR!!!
Old 02-03-2003, 03:27 PM   #13
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
illinifan:

Did you take the SAT in 8th grade (part of something like Midwest Talent Search)?? I did, and I always loved getting recruited by colleges and the military, then telling them I was a freshman in HS.

I took some sort of test like that.

Congrats RendeR.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #14
RendeR
Coordinator

Thanks guys! We've been talking about it for quite a while now, and we've lived together for 6 years, so like her mother said "its about damned time!!" *GRIN*
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:23 PM   #15
tucker342
Pro Starter

illinifan999,

damn man congrats!! That's pretty cool
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:41 PM   #16
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Hey illinifan999,

If you're really interested in attending a service academy...check out the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT.

It has very highly rated academics, a tough military program, a beautiful campus on the banks of the Thames River, and the Coast Guard is a really cool service to work in when you graduate.

Also...there are no congressional appointments. It's all straight, head-to-head competition; the best and brightest get in.

Let me know if I can give you a hand.

Dave
USCGA Class of 1987
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote