Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #1
MJ4H
Coordinator

Kasparov - Computer Chess Match

Game 4 just ended and it was a long (5 1/2 hour), hard fought draw. The match is even at 2-2 with 2 games to play. This game seemed to be a slow building game with Kasparov seemingly reluctant to pull the trigger on his early advantage. He seemed a little gun-shy after blundering the last two games when he tried to force his advantage. The next game is Kasparov's final game with white (white has a slight advantage in chess) so if he wants to win the match, this one might be the one to for the win in.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Too be honest, I think Kasaparov is playing for a draw. If he loses one game then he has lost the match. If he can get a nice advantage in the next game, then he might go for the win.

The real question is, can any of the top-ten grandmasters of chess beat a computer? or is getting a draw in a series of games the best they can hope for?

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 09:25 PM   #3
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes Kramnik beat I believe Fritz not too long ago.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:31 PM   #4
Airhog
Captain Obvious

ah yes, I guess really you have to play a different style of chess to beat a computer, you cannot out calculate them. I would think that the players that fare the best against computers, are very tacticle players and planners. I think they should have some mixed tournaments. Allow the best computer chess programs to face off with the GM's

Old 02-02-2003, 09:40 PM   #5
MJ4H
Coordinator

hmm seems after research, kramnik drew 4-4. he did win at least 1 individual game though.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:59 PM   #6
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I think Grandmasters can do fine against machines. The problem is they cant think as quickly as machines. I really believe if Kasparov had the time he could defeat Junior. The problem is Junior has no feelings, doesnt tire and is relentless.

Perhaps they should seek an addendum to add more time to the Grandmaster, maybe 30 minutes or so, but then purists would yell it was unfair.

In my opinion, Kasparov isnt losing because his knowledge of chess is inferior, its because he is getting worn down. He knows every move he makes if a mistake will be jumped on by Junior. He has now played 4 pretty grueling games and Junior is ready for the 5th all it needs is a reboot.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 02-03-2003 at 12:04 AM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:46 AM   #7
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I do think that is a big part of the problem. Not only that factor, but combined with the psychological aspect of it. Junior doesnt care if it doesnt make the best move. It doesnt get depressed, it continues to play as if nothing has changed. On the other hand, Kasparov does, if he makes one mistake he knows his game is pretty much gone from winning to draw, or from a draw to a loss. I think that right now they are using 4 hour time controls with an extra hour after move 40. I think it would be interesting to play 30 matches over two months using 6 hour time controls. It would be interesting too see if he could sustain that level of play. I doubt that Kasaparov could be Junior. He would falter and junior would win by several points. It is amazing, that even one of the greatest chess minds in the world, can still make simple mistakes.

Old 02-03-2003, 02:20 AM   #8
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I am just guessing but I think losing game 3 as white messed with his head a little bit. He could have sealed it I think if he had won and even a draw would have been fine, but he made one blunder (from a chessgod's point of view heh) and Junior took the game.

I think game 5 is Kasparov's last stand. If he wants to win the series he will come with all guns blazing and try to take it. I really dont think he will play for a draw unless he has no choice because I dont see him beating Junior as black in game 6. Junior of course doesnt care either way, it will just play like it has been.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:52 AM   #9
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I do see your point HFP. I think there is less of a let down getting beat by a computer than there is getting beat by the 15th best player in the world. You know the computer is always bringing his A game.