Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2003, 06:08 AM   #1
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Hattrick: Averill Park Mercury

I read the rules, but am still pretty unfamiliar with the whole interface and game itself. If I see something I don't understand, I'll make a note of it. If somebody could clear it up for me, I'd appreciate it.

I just got my team, the Averill Park Mercury. We're in the New York region, and in Division IV. Our series is IV.8 (625). I understand the IV part, but don't know what the .8 is, or the number in parentheses (some sort of ID, I assume).

Anyhow, we are, by far, the worst team in the league. With an 0-7 record, we're yet to score a goal. And we've allowed 33. So some changes must be made.

If there is one positive feature of the club, it's our finances. Right now, we have $300k in cash, but my wage bill, etc. isn't displaying. I put $20k into the youth squad, as I've read that is a strong move.

When I get in, I first look at the coach, Algernon Kumar, a 38-year old. He is god-awful though, so as much as I like his name (is the author Daniel Keyes the same one who ran for president in 2000), I have to let him go. I take the $10k hit, and bring aboard Ed Brandon. While he's no legend, he should suffice. Although he's listed as 'poor', he does have outstanding experience, and passable leadership. I'll let him stick around for a little while at least, to try and turn things around. He's 43 years old, and is of no use as a player.

RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:32 AM   #2
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

The Roster

Our roster has 17 players. Most are pretty bad, but there are a few who look respectable. Here's a breakdown by position.

Keeper:

Christopher Ayres: Listed as 'inadequete' at keeping, he should be our #1. He's only 25 years old, so aging won't be a problem for quite some time, I don't think. He's really the only option we have at keeper, so he better not get hurt.

Defender:

Carlton Smart: All his other skills are pretty bad, but his 'solid' defending and set pieces will probably get him into the starting lineup as a central defender. He's 24 years old, but only valued at $31k. I guess it's because of the fact that he's a pretty one-dimensional player. Nonetheless, I have no problem playing him in defense.

Dale Lawler: Not a strong player at all, Lawler is bad everywhere, but this is where he is least-bad. Does have solid leadership, but unfortunatey, that and his age (24) are about all he has going for him.

Frederick Faust: Youngster with Danish heritage (he, his parents, and grandparents are all U.S. citizens, however) doesn't look to have much of a future. Again, he's young at 23 years old, but is 'inadequete' as a defender, and worse everywhere else.

Barry Dukes: 'Inadequate' as a defender, but his set piece ability could be of small value. Probably will be a reserve defener, but could find his way into the game once in a while. Also has some ability as an outside midfielder.

Midfielders:

Brendon Schultz: Really a project-type player. Nearly a teenager at 20 years old, he is 'inadequate' as a playmaker. Hopefully I won't have to put him on the field much, as midfield seems to be our strongest position.

Chong Chee-Foong: The Chinese-American came over to the country as a toddler, so has adapted well to American culture. He's one of our older players (27), and doesn't have great skills. He can pass alright, and could theoretically play any position we ask, but midfield will probably be his home (as a reserve).

James Brown (!!!): Wow! My first quasi-celebrity player! Unfortunately, he's not a strong player, but he'll be another midfield reserve. He'll be used more effectively as a fan draw, with halftime performances at every home game! Can't wait for his bobblehead night!

Joe Agee: He's a winger, but not a good one at all. At just 21 years old, he probably has a little room to improve, but I don't see him becoming a key player.

John Wolford: Just 21 years old, he's one of our star players. He passes well, and is pretty strong as a winger. His strength is mostly his youth, as he has the potential to become a very strong passer. Valued initially at about $150k.

Marc Willet: He's pretty versatile, with 'inadequate' ratings in both scoring and defending. He's 'passable' at winger and passing, so that will probably be his primary spot, across from Wolford. A little older (26), so doesn't have much more room for improvement.

Mark Ricker: 'Passable' passing ability is his only strongpoint, so should not expect to stay around long. I have too many midfielders in his mold who are a little stronger in other areas.

Ralph Gaither: Nothing good to say about him, at all. He's only listed at midfield because it's the most neutral position. He'll be the first player I let go of.

Simon Tatum: Our most talented player, he's valued at almost $200k. He's a bit of a veteran, at 27 years old, but still has 'solid' playmaking ability. I'd appreciate it if somebody could appraise how much I could fetch for him on the market. Since we're going to need to rebuild after our certain relegation to Division V, I don't think a quality, expensive ($2k/week) player is the kind of guy who'll help us a whole lot. He's 'passable' as a defender, and 'inadequate' as a scorer.

Forwards:

Vern Layton: The oldest player on the squad, at 30 years old, but still a little scoring touch ('Passable'). Could also play the wing or defender if need-be, so I like his versatility. Despite his age, I might keep him around for a little while.

Nathan Billingsley: Valued at $120k, he's another strong youngster (24). 'Passable' ratings in scoring, winger, and defending, so will probably split time between forward and defense, and settle in at whatever position he performs stronger in.

Donnie Thorn: 'Passable' scoring and 'inadequate' passing make him purely a striker. He's awful everywhere else. He'll probably be a third striker, but should see some time for sure. 25 years old, so won't got a whole lot better.

Well, there it is. If anybody has any thoughts, please by all means post them. I'd really appreciate any advice.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:41 AM   #3
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Friendly?

I'd love to arrange a friendly of some sort to get ready for our big match Sunday against Byron's Killers at home. I feel it may be our only hope for a win this season, as we lost just 1-0 at their place last week.

Hopefully my lineup changes (the old owner appears to have been totally inactive) will result in a little goal-scoring success.

So if you'd like to play a friendly, my team ID is 8489.

~rpi-fan
Old 01-27-2003, 06:44 AM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Youth Callup

I make my first youth callup from our 'wretched' youth squad, and he's pretty weak. Mikel Cifuentes Muņiz (a Swedish-Spaniard??) is awful. I cut him immediately, and will wait for a while to introduce any new youngsters.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:32 AM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I have Gilberto Cifuentes Muniz and he's upset that you cut his brother. Although I'm not one to brag about Muniz...but at least he's a passable defender.

Good luck in your hattricking!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:09 AM   #6
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

FYI, since you got stuck in division IV...don't be too worried if you get slaughtered. Prolly gonna happen, since division V is the bottom rung for USA.

Good luck to you!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #7
NevStar
High School Varsity

Re: The Roster

Quote:
Originally posted by RPI-Fan
Simon Tatum: Our most talented player, he's valued at almost $200k. He's a bit of a veteran, at 27 years old, but still has 'solid' playmaking ability. I'd appreciate it if somebody could appraise how much I could fetch for him on the market. Since we're going to need to rebuild after our certain relegation to Division V, I don't think a quality, expensive ($2k/week) player is the kind of guy who'll help us a whole lot. He's 'passable' as a defender, and 'inadequate' as a scorer.
[/b]

I'm not the expert, but I'd say that due to his age, you probably wouldn't fetch his value. Since so many teams run with 3 central midfielders, I'd guess he'd still be valuable, probably in the $100k range. Maybe?
NevStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:57 PM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Welcome, Rasmus!

Averill Park Coach, Team return from Sweden

Coach Kyle Smith and his Averill Park Mercury team headed to Sweden prepared to face Tuges and give them a fight. But the Mercury were simply not on the same page, and Tuges sliced through them. The final score was 5-0, but Averill Park never were in the game. Tuges went up early and never looked back.

There was, however, a small piece of good news from trip. While the club was in Sweden, it was announced that they had won the transfer bidding for versatile 25 year old Swede Rasmus Gunnarsson. Gunnarsson took the bus to Tuges, and suited up in his #5 uniform for the team's first ever match. Unfortunately, it wasn't his day at central midfield, and he failed to create any chances for the Mercury.

After Smith got a chance to evaluate Gunnarsson, he was heard commenting that he may be moved to forward role, due to his lack of passing ability. But for now, it appears he'll get some more chances as an inner midfielder.

To make room for Gunnarrson, Ralph Gaither was released. Gaither had attitude problems that far exceeded his skill level, and thus it wasn't hard to let him go.

The team returned to the States on Thursday, and immediately began preparing for Sunday's key league match against Byron's Killas. The AP staff feel that it may be the squad's only chance for a victory all year. Averill Park is rumored to be unvealing a new 4-5-1 formation, differing from the 3-5-2 used in Sweden. The 4-5-1 will seek to exploit the weak right side of the Killas' defense. Vern Layton will be featured at forward, while Barry Dukes will move to central defense to work with Carlton Smart. Nathan Billingston, John Wolford, and Simon Tatum will all be playing on the left side of the pitch, looking to take advantage of the susceptible right side of the Killas' midfield and defense. #6 Brendan Schultz and #5 Rasmus Gunnarsson will be the other central midfielders. #1 Chris Ayres will, as usual, be in net for the Mercury. Rumor has had it that AP are looking for a new keeper, but Smith dispelled that by mentioning that although they have been poking around for a backup, Ayres' job as starting keeper is not in jeopardy.

The squad is featuring a promotional night on Sunday. They will be giving out miniature Swedish flags in hopes of making Gunnarsson feel more welcome in this strange, new world. Any fan who attends will receive two complementary Swedish falgs. Come support the Mercury!
Old 01-30-2003, 01:08 PM   #9
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Seeing as how I have 5 Swedes on my team, I might have to look into a similar promo.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:40 PM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I hope I can send a representative to get my Swedish Flags!
Old 02-02-2003, 01:31 PM   #11
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Moved to HT site

For the record, I'm not going to keep my dynasty over here any more. I do press releases for any relevant event over at the hattrick site, so it's pretty tedious to just repeat that over here.

So if anyone was interested (yea' right!) in this, they can just follow my team at the hattrick site!