Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2003, 01:15 PM   #51
SackAttack
Head Coach

Y'know, there's certain things you just don't ever wanna hear first thing in the morning, and something like this is one of 'em.

Somebody else mentioned it, but it bears repeating - why is our space program such a low priority for the news media during its successes, but 48 point headline news when something goes wrong?

It has the effect of leading one to believe that NASA is nothing but one serious mess after another, and that's good neither for NASA's morale, nor for their continued existence as an entity. I don't know if the accident was legitimate or sabotage. I don't think anybody does. But one thing bears keeping in mind - if it IS sabotage, it could just as well have been a person or group of people intent on derailing the space-based missile shield. The Israeli as a target might be the en vogue thing for the media to promote, but it's not necessarily the true cause.

Just my two bits.

Josh

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:20 PM   #52
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

One thing to note, we probably can't just kill the shuttle program for 2 years to investigate the accident like we did last time. We have the space station up there with three astronauts due to come home in March. I'm not sure how we bring them back, but I'd guess either they will come back on an escape pod attached to the station or with a foreign space program that visits the station.

But with the money put into the space station, I can't imagine we will abandon it. You would hope they have a contingency plan in case such an accident occured.

RIP

Last edited by Ryche : 02-01-2003 at 01:20 PM.
Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:21 PM   #53
mrskippy
Banned

Absolutely shocking. To see this happen twice in my lifetime ... tragic. I'm so deeply saddened today. Words can't express how heartbroken I am.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:23 PM   #54
mrskippy
Banned

Dola ...

I don't see us getting rid of our space program, ever. It's truly one of our most treasured American programs. And it's a common bond we share with the world.

These astronauts who perished today, who gave their lives for America, Israel, and the World would want us to move on and to continue soaring into the heavens.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:26 PM   #55
Kodos
Resident Alien

This is a sad day for Americans. But NASA must continue it's program. That is what everyone on board the Columbia would have wanted.

I hate these things.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:30 PM   #56
moore4807
n00b

Columbia crew, R. I. P. "May you rest in gods hands as you have forever touched the stars"

Practically speaking as was noted by ABC's Jennings - there is never a good fatality but 3 tragic incidents in 42 years of space travel for NASA with 17 souls lost is not something to hang our heads about. These brave people trained and dreamed and how many get to make it all come true? Space is our Wild West of the past few generations if you will, and these are our cowboys and cowgirls blazing a trail before all others.

Thank you to the families for supporting and loving them while they chased thier dream. Say a prayer and never forget them, not as heroes for dying , but for living and daring to make thier dreams a reality...

Last edited by moore4807 : 02-01-2003 at 01:33 PM.
moore4807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:44 PM   #57
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryche
I'm not sure how we bring them back, but I'd guess either they will come back on an escape pod attached to the station or with a foreign space program that visits the station.

I am pretty sure they will come back on the next shuttle flight. The next shuttle flight was due to bring 3 guys down, and to ask another country to send up a craft to get them down is probably an impossible task. These kind of missions will take months to plan and train for, and they don't have that kind of time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryche
But with the money put into the space station, I can't imagine we will abandon it. You would hope they have a contingency plan in case such an accident occured.

Not to mention the vast sums of money put into the project by other countries. The ISS and the space program are not going anywhere.

I don't think there is any need to stop the space program. NASA has only lost 17 astronauts in their existence. That is an incredible safety record considering the dangers of the profession.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:02 PM   #58
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Are you guys getting Jennings, Brokaw, and Rather? All we are getting is the local north texas stations, and they keep showing the same piece of 2 inch metal in a farmers field.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:23 PM   #59
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator
Are you guys getting Jennings, Brokaw, and Rather? All we are getting is the local north texas stations, and they keep showing the same piece of 2 inch metal in a farmers field.

You're getting a local angle that most Americans aren't getting. That's good journalism.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #60
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

This event hits me hard, just like the Challenger disaster (I remember that day well - I was home from school with the chicken pox, and my mom called from a friends house to break the news). It's the first thing in my life where I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when it happened, like the Kennedy assassination was for my mother.

When I was a kid in the late '70s, we lived outside of Barstow. They used to test the Enterprise in that area (from Edwards AFB, I think). It wasn't uncommon at all for us to be riding to school and having the Enterprise following along above us. We also got a chance one time to go to Edwards and see the Enterprise close up - a real neat experience for me as a kid.

Later, we were living in LA when the Columbia went up on that inagural voyage. Almost on a whim, we all piled into the family Volkswagen van and went out to Edwards, camped out overnight, and watched the Columbia land the next day. Something I remember very well to this day.

This is very sad.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #61
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Canceling the space program with the economy in the shape that it's in would be a very bad idea, I think. In times like these, we need something to stand behind and believe in. Space exploration gives us hope for the future and a better life. I hope they can do just what they said this morning, figure out what went wrong, fix it, and move on. There is too much to be gained to give up.

If they need someone to go up in a shuttle right now, I'll be the first in line.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:04 PM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Very sad indeed. Wow, I can't believe this has happened again.

I'm really curious to see what they find out.

I will keep them in my prayers.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-01-2003 at 03:06 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 05:46 PM   #63
sabotai
General Manager

Just to echo what a few others have said.

NASA has a VERY good safety record considering. 42 years, onyl 3 fatal accidents. That's pretty damn good.

I don't think it's wise to start spelling out the end of NASA over one accident. It sucks that people died and we lost a shuttle, but they knew the dangers they were getting into just like anyone who seeks a dangerous profession. They accept it and know that there is a risk.

The last accident was 17 years ago. There have been a ton of shuttle flights into space and back since. Let's just hope it'll be at least another 17 before another fatal accident happens.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #64
ACStrider
High School JV

I feel a little isolated because I don't have a tv. As much as regular programming drives me up a wall, it's times like these where television connnects a nation and the world. I still remember in second grade when my school as well as many across the nation brought the students into a media room to watch the Challenger liftoff. I was little then, but I still remember it. The Challenger, the fall of the Soviet Union, Columbine, and 9/11 are memories of my lifetime to this point. The Columbia is tragic and I will keep the families affected in my prayers, but somehow I don't feel as connected as in the other world-shaking events.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:45 PM   #65
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Strider,

I can see your point about not feeling connected. Right now I wish I could feel that way. Since I live in north central Texas, I feel like it's going to be a while until this tragedy moves itself into the back of my mind. Watching the news today and seeing pictures of pieces of the shuttle lying smoldering on spots that I have stood is erie to say the least. All day I had the thought, however irrational, that some big hunk of metal was going to come screaming down and smash into my house. I can't stop thinking about what happened, and a I think a big part of that is because it happened in my backyard. I can't wait until everything feels normal again.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:47 PM   #66
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Once again (as with 9/11), I get news of a tragic event via FOFC.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 08:50 PM   #67
Craptacular
College Starter

I was playing Parsec on a TI computer in grade school when the Challenger blew up. I was in 5th grade at the time, and in our school, grades 1-4 watched the shuttle launches on TV. I remember one of my younger neighbors coming out in the hall and telling me what happened. That remains the first big public tragedy where I clearly remember where I was, etc. (I vaguely remember the assassination attempt on Reagan).

This morning, I slept in past 10 AM, and came out to see the news on CNN.

I've always loved the space program; my favorite book (A Man on the Moon) and one of my all-time favorite TV programs (From the Earth to the Moon) were about the Apollo program. Like many other kids, I dreamed of being an astronaut. The program will live on, and will take us places we've only begun to dream about. The 17 astronauts that have perished would have it no other way.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:01 PM   #68
mrskippy
Banned

When the Challenger blew up I was in the fifth grade and we had just been studying about Explorers. The teacher didn't tell our class until the very end of the day. I'll never forget how she told us. She started by talking about our studies, how all exploration comes with risks. When she said the Space Shuttle, I already knew (even in fifth grade) that something bad happened. My heart just sank. I was speechless and in shock.

Today I had just launched Yahoo to check for some e-mail and saw the headline. I jumped up, ran to the living room, and turned on CNN. I couldn't believe it. Once again, my heart just sank. And again I was shocked.

This is one of those events I'll never forget. When the US started bombing Iraq in the first Gulf War I was at a baseball card shop and had just pulled several great cards. It was a horrifying evening that left me in fear that we would be attacked in the US. On 9/11 my uncle had called to alert us to turn on the news. And than today.

I've been watching the news all day, hearing the stories and crying with the rest of America at this tragic loss.

Skippy
Old 02-01-2003, 10:19 PM   #69
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I just saw on the news that a man in east Texas found human remains on his property. How horrible must that have been? I can't imagine...
Old 02-01-2003, 11:09 PM   #70
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I can remember the Reagan assassination attempt. I distinctly recall coming back from a field trip and hearing the news on the bus driver's radio as I was getting off of the bus.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote