Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 11:55 AM   #801
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Yeah Maple, thanks for organizing. This was fun to do.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:01 PM   #802
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
This thread sure was popular. It got more replies than any thread other than playoff hockey. It has more replies than any thread other than playoff hockey and more views than any thread other than playoff hockey, reference thread, and TPF thread.

All in all, I say that the draft is a success.

I think now we wait for the final SterlingIce review. At least, that is what I am doing.

Not one to disappoint, I've been working on it for a couple of days. It should be out sometime this weekend.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 02-06-2004, 12:17 PM   #803
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
This thread sure was popular. It got more replies than any thread other than playoff hockey.

Bah! The Threadkiller was longer...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
Old 02-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #804
Ramzavail
College Starter

I agree - Thanks Maple for all your work.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #805
Danny
Head Coach

Yes, thanks Maple
Old 02-06-2004, 03:13 PM   #806
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

It was fun guys
Old 02-06-2004, 03:17 PM   #807
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Glad you all enjoyed it.

(P.S. I won.)
Old 02-06-2004, 03:33 PM   #808
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
No - In every draft there are going snubs - I don't think anybody that Sack mentioned were so obviously that we were boneheads not too choose.

I think if we would have chosen the guys Sack mentioned - he would have said at the end of the draft - how could somebody not pick anything from the game Pong!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? That game has been around for 4 decades - blah blah blah. IE: A no-win situation.

No, not really. I'm more a literalist than anything else, and when I see the name of the thread - Video game character draft, the first thing that pops into my mind isn't the 'player one paddle' or 'the arrow from Asteroids.' I think those are cop-out picks, to be frank with you.

Quote:
IF I-Ninja was chosen - I would have laughed - that game is pathetic.

To each his own. I'm not suggesting that he, specifically, should have been chosen, but merely grabbing an example based on one of the more recent games I've played, at 2 in the morning. I don't think it's a 'pathetic' game, but at the same time, just as with the player one paddle, I'm sure there are better choices still out there.

Quote:
Parappa the Rapper would have been a good pick - Parappa 1 was classic, Parappa 2 stunk - but I wouldn't say "goddamn how could we forget about him?"

Sure. All I'm saying is that clearly there are plenty of recognizable characters who didn't get drafted because somebody thought a straight line was a good pick.

And to that end, I'll let my assertion stand on its own legs from here on out. I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not disagreeing for the sake of being arbitrary, as you were so quick to imply.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #809
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
No, not really. I'm more a literalist than anything else, and when I see the name of the thread - Video game character draft, the first thing that pops into my mind isn't the 'player one paddle' or 'the arrow from Asteroids.' I think those are cop-out picks, to be frank with you.

I guess Im one of the main culprits since I took both the Arrow from asteroids and the straight bar from tetris. Seems people would have voted my team the best perhaps had I gone more traditional with those two picks. Still, I do disagree obviously. Asteroids is the best selling atari game in history and was one of my favorite when I was younger, so I decided to pick the arrow/spaceship.
It may not have a name, but there is no doubt the arrow is a specific and distinct character. Tetris is also one of my favorites although that pick was more of a reach as far as the pick not being a character. I wasted many hours in my youth playing that game and to have a whole draft go by without acknowledgement to that great and revolutionary game is something I didnt want to happen. I have no problem with you thinking it was a bad pick, but it's certainly not a cop out, especially the space ship pick from asteroids.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:36 PM   #810
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Post draft analysis is almost as much fun as the draft itself.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #811
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That's it, I rescind all my picks and instead will build around "The Paddle from Level 8" in that damn Pong on Steroid game...
Old 02-07-2004, 09:53 AM   #812
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Good times with the draft. I also agree that no matter who was taken, there would be good arguments for characters left out. But, seriously, I-Ninja?
Old 02-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #813
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Good times with the draft. I also agree that no matter who was taken, there would be good arguments for characters left out. But, seriously, I-Ninja?

I say again, I typed that post at two in the morning, and grabbed an example from a recent game I'd been playing. I'm sure I could have found another example, but at 2 in the morning, I just wanted to get that post written and get to bed.

If you have a problem with Ninja, you can go work it out with him.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:57 AM   #814
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I say again, I typed that post at two in the morning, and grabbed an example from a recent game I'd been playing. I'm sure I could have found another example, but at 2 in the morning, I just wanted to get that post written and get to bed.

If you have a problem with Ninja, you can go work it out with him.

I know, I just felt like piling on, sorry
Old 02-09-2004, 06:58 AM   #815
ice4277
Pro Rookie

dola

Still patiently awaiting the final draft review to see how poorly I did
Closed Thread