Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2003, 02:41 PM   #1
Tasan
College Starter

Stay at Home Dads

Almost 6 months ago now, I made the decision to quit my job and stay at home to take care of our new little boy, who is now almost 7 months old. The decision wasn't too hard. My wife makes decent money as a Chemical Engineer, and my employer was laying off people about every 6 months or so. The only hard part was deciding to pass on the inevitable severance package I would get(my team got the axe about 4 months after I left).

Anyway, I've pretty much enjoyed the experience so far. It gets kind of lonely without other adults to talk to, so my posting here has gone up significantly.

I was wondering if there were any other dads on this board in my situation. I am wondering, because I was thinking of starting up an online community for stay-at-home dads, and I'd like to gauge interest.

Thanks!

Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:49 PM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

While I am not a stay at home Dad, I am still a new parent (our son is 15 months old) and can certainly relate to many of the issues. I think it's a great idea.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
FBPro
College Starter

Yep, I'm one sorta......work from home.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
revrew
Team Chaplain

I'm sort of stay-at-home, I'm actally work-at-home. I've got an office upstairs I telecommute from.

But I've got seven children, eighth on the way, and have been active 90's dad with my kids since birth (I've even delivered two of my children at home), so I'd love to follow such a discussion, if not contribute.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Good for you Tasan, I know my wife is beat when I get home from work. Our 8 month old wears her out and I wouldn't trade her jobs for anything.

Just watching the little devil when my wife works at night has made me realize what women must go through when guys get them pregnant and then leave, such as with my wife's first one.

Let us know how it's going Mr. Mom.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:53 PM   #6
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
But I've got seven children, eighth on the way

Old 01-30-2003, 03:59 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Re: Stay at Home Dads

Quote:
Originally posted by Tasan
I was wondering if there were any other dads on this board in my situation.

FWIW, I'm not a technically a SAHD anymore but was exclusively that for about a year and a half (from our son's birth to about 18 months, he turns 5 this April) , so I can certainly relate to your situation.

The lack of adult conversation was a huge adjustment, near the top of the list for me in fact.

Much of the credit for whatever sanity I have left has to go to my developing a regular spot that was kid friendly to go for lunch several days a week. It worked out great (meat-and-three type place, so as he got older there were always veggies & such for him) and gave me something to look forward to each day. And I made several good friends along the way, as Will & I became "regulars" & got to know the staff & other customers over time.

Among the best advice I ever got (albeit you didn't really ask *g*) was a stern reminder to make sure to take care of myself, otherwise I couldn't do a good job of taking care of him.

I don't disrespect anybody who hasn't BTDT, but I sure have a healthy respect for anyone who has, knowwhutImean?

Jon
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:59 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Buzzbee,

I was more amazed at the "delivered two at home." Wow!!!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:24 PM   #9
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I wish I could afford to be a stay at home dad. We rely on both incomes, though, so we both have to work.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:45 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

my wife and I have talked extensively about this. With some upcoming home remodelling and stuff, we can't quite swing one of us staying home, but if we ever get to where we can, it will definitely be me.

we've also talked about me going down to part time, to maximize my time home with Graham.

I still count myself as a semi-SAHD; I work 4 10-hour days, scheduled in such a way that I'm home with Graham every day until 1, and on two other days I'm with him all day alone (and two other days home all day with him and my wife).

I don't really have the issue of missing adult contact, since I do work with people who can at least occasionally pass as adults. My only thing is taking advantage of down time - naptime, or tv time - where I don't have to follow around a 10month old constantly trying to keep paint chips and cat toys out of his mouth...
Old 01-30-2003, 04:53 PM   #11
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by digamma
Buzzbee,

I was more amazed at the "delivered two at home." Wow!!!

Yeah, THAT was impressive too. I'm just curious how he kept the other (fill in appropriate number here) kids out of the way while delivering at home!?!?!?

I can picture my house now {cut to dream sequence}

Kid 1: Daddy, what are you doing?
Me: Helping Mommy deliver your sister.
Kid 2: Don't they have doctor's that do that?
Me: Yes, but we wanted to do it this way so it would be special
Kid 1: Did you do it this way for us?
Me: No, you were born in a hospital.
Kid 2: Was I born in a hospital?
Me: Yes, you were born in a hospital too.
Kid 1: Then we're not special?
Me: Of course you are special. Very special to me and mommy.
Kid 2: Ewwww!! What's that?!?!??
Me: That's you're sister's head.
Kid 1: That's GROOOOSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
Me: Uh, yes. It is.
Kid 2: Daddy?
Me: Yes dear?
Kid 2: Why's mommy calling you all those nasty names?

{end dream sequence}

:shudder:

revrew, you have my respect!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 04:57 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

revrew is a baby machine! Hot damn!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 05:00 PM   #13
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
revrew is a baby machine! Hot damn!

Actually, I think revrew's wife is the baby machine and revrew is one hell of a machine operator!!
Old 01-30-2003, 05:13 PM   #14
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I'm looking forward to being a stay at home dad...but it's going to be awhile till that point.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote