Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Question Tecmo Super Bowl league/dynasty idea... who's interested?

lately I've been having some fun, and remembering the good-old days playing Tecmo Super Bowl on an NES emulator (with this year's roster though). I was involved in a completely failed attempt at an online league a few months ago, and had an idea for another one. I would be the comissioner of the league, and not owner of any team.

I'd want to start with 4-9 owners (all in one conference), and we'll play the conference like a self-contained league. It's easily possible since I can simply use the schedule editor to make them play just each other.

Every game would simply be simmed, and the owner would only make decisions regarding roster moves and playbook. I'd writeup the games each week and let everyone know how their players are doing, also I'd provide some sort of scouting report like "the backup QB has looked amazing in practice, while the starter has been in a real funk".

Also I'd like to try to incorporate some sort of off-season free agency and draft. It'd be simplisitc at best, with maybe a 2 round draft, and limited free agency movement. I figure if people are really interested we can work out these details later.

so, who's interested?

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 01-30-2003 at 08:04 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:36 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

dola.

Since the games would all be under my watch, we have much less opportunity for one or two flakey owners ruining the league. Also, with limited roster movement we'd have both the opportunity for a team to evolve over time, but the ability to move quick enough to not be mired in off-season dealings.

So you'd basically be the true owner, and have playbook/lineup input during the season, and control over the roster afterwards.

Also, I'd be providing all the "color" for the league. I'd be in charge of the behavior patterns and demands of all the players in the league. So there would be room for your backup QB to whine, or your starter to demand a trade after you bench him.

I'll eventually design some methods for these behaviors so that they are more-or-less random, it will also rule out any possiblity of me playing favorites.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:45 PM   #3
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I am interested.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:45 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm going to keep dola-posting until I feel I've really fleshed-out this idea as much as I have in my head.

Imaginary Off-Season

Basically playing some sort of Football RPG, I'd be the DM (Comissioner) and relay basically all information to the owners of the league. Here's some things that might happen in an off-season:

Your fullback has reported to training camp significantly overweight, your staff expects him to be a full step slower this season.

You've heard from your quarterbacks agent that if you don't make the playoffs this year, he'll test the free agency waters.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:46 PM   #5
Travis
Pro Rookie

Sign me up chief.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:46 PM   #6
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

This sounds fun CT.. Hey, can I be Rutgers?
Old 01-29-2003, 03:47 PM   #7
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I'm in...

I'd definititely be interested.

~rpi-fan
Old 01-29-2003, 03:55 PM   #8
SaintAnselm
n00b

Sign me up. Sounds really interesting.
SaintAnselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 05:30 PM   #9
McSweeny
College Starter

sounds very interesting, i'll probably be interested
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:30 AM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Those who are interested, feel free to chime in with ideas. Here are some more general ideas:
  • the league takes place outside the concept of time. While we might use a mix of real and fictional players, it's possible that after Drew Brees retires, Jerry Rice enters the league as a rookie
  • there will be a maxiumim number of seasons any player can play (8-10). by player I mean Walter Payton, not you the owner
  • we'll try to implement some sort of crude salary cap situation
  • injuries can possibly affect the players skills for future seasons
  • injuries can potentially be career-ending (although magically, the player would still be able to play the remainder of the season he is injured in)