Maybe do a 162 season average of all the players seasons

baseball reference has that.

Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:54 AM   #52
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Would that use a player's best season, or some sort of career average?

More the latter than the former. The system that Diamond Mind uses is the average of the best consecutive years that add up to about 6000 plate appearances, and similar cutoffs for pitchers that I can't remember off hand. For most players it would be the middle 10 years or so of their career, though for some it might shift toward the beginning (e.g. Ernie Banks) or the end (e.g. Sandy Koufax).

I haven't seen the disk and the ratings yet, but that's how their Web site explains things.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:43 AM   #53
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
Maybe do a 162 season average of all the players seasons

baseball reference has that.

That wouldn't work because it wouldn't take durability into account. Tere's a great article on this in The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract where he compares Carlton Fisk to Roy Campanella.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #54
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue
I was confused about this. There are actually two Mike Marshalls who could be drafted - Mike Marshall the reliever; and Mike Marshall, the OF/1B.

I'm GUESSING that both wanted Mike the reliever, but I'm not certain of this.

Definitely possible, though there are some hurdles to overcome. Diamond Mind released a Greatest Players disk which should have most of the players that we'll be drafting (no Negro or Japanese League players). I'm starting to form some ideas of how to set up the league, the championship crowing process, how much interaction I'd like from you guys, etc.

I don't want to steal Bishop's thunder, so I'm going to keep it low key. More details to come when I'm good and ready.

I know at least 1 put P in with Marshall. If either wanted the OF/1B, let me know. I'd only heard of the relief pitcher before this.

Don't worry about stealing my thunder. Both my method and yours have issues to deal with. Yours doesn't take into account Negro and Japanese League Players and mine relies on the subjective judgments of people, so I think running both shouldn't take away from the other.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #55
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Bishop, have you given any thought to allowing a (very small and limited) trading window before the final judging/competition?

Some teams probably bid on, for example, multiple players at one position and wound up with too many. It might be interesting to see if teams would swap, say, Ruth for Koufax, that sort of thing.

Of course, it may also go against the idea of doing an auction in the first place. Just a thought.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:42 PM   #56
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It entered my mind briefly, but I hadn't given it much thought. Any objections I would have would probably be more logistical than anything else, although I do want to avoid people stockpiling players at a specific position. Unless anyone objects, I don't think I'd have a problem, as long as you waited until rosters were full and made sure all trades were equal numbers of players.

Also, for voting purposes, here are the 4 regions I've broken teams into.

Northeast

BishopMVP
Chubby
Ramzavail
atz840
vtbub

Mideast

TheLionKing
ISiddiqui
Bearcat729
Coffee Warlord
Honolulu Blue

West

Chief Rum
Oykib
Sooner333
Vince
TroyF

Canada/Unknown

Maple Leafs
Booj
ntndeacon
Comey
Suicane75
Old 01-23-2004, 02:25 PM   #57
Vince
Pro Starter

Great, I get in the same division with Troy, Chief and 'I've already drafted my team' Oykib... Not only that, Sooner got McGwire for 1 and Cobb for 65...could be a tough division to win in.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 03:46 PM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Vince, all I can say is better you than me .
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #59
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Great, I get in the same division with Troy, Chief and 'I've already drafted my team' Oykib... Not only that, Sooner got McGwire for 1 and Cobb for 65...could be a tough division to win in.

I don't think anyone will be happy with their division. I thought I did well drafting my team, then I look around and go "Oh - his looks good" "That one is solid too" "Not many players, but a lot of potential there" "Uh oh, that team looks even better than the others"

You get the idea.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:02 PM   #60
Vince
Pro Starter

Yeah, I was definitely being fecetious. It's going to be tough to get a team through into the second round of play-offs.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:33 PM   #61
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Don't worry about stealing my thunder. Both my method and yours have issues to deal with. Yours doesn't take into account Negro and Japanese League Players and mine relies on the subjective judgments of people, so I think running both shouldn't take away from the other.

Thank you for your blessing.

Actually, there are several ways to account for the missing players:

1) Not include them, at all. This is obviously fair.
2) Use the most comparable player. For example, Pop Lloyd was known as "The Black Honus Wagner." Well, it's a simple matter to clone Mr. Wagner, change a few of the vitals, and call him Mr. Lloyd.
3) Use a comparable player of the same price.
4) Use the best, most similar player not on a team.

This is one of many things we'll have to decide on at the appropriate time.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:07 PM   #62
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Yeah, I was definitely being fecetious. It's going to be tough to get a team through into the second round of play-offs.

In the voting one, it's all gonna come down to stumping. Hasn't everyone always wanted to be a politician?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:09 PM   #63
oykib
College Starter

Dola--

That damned TroyF...

He took Jackie from me and he had to put in that tieing bid on Mike Marshall. I was sure that I could get him in under the radar.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:27 PM   #64
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Ohh, the second round of the auction is almost over. Heres to me getting more than 6 new folks.(20 new people would be preferred)
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:57 PM   #65
vtbub
College Starter

Brock, Lou - 20 vtbub
Fisk, Carlton - 35 vtbub
Garciaparra, Nomar - 5 vtbub
Kaat, Jim - 15 vtbub
McCarver, Tim - 1 vtbub
Puckett, Kirby - 30 vtbub
Remy, Jerry - 5 vtbub
Rice, Jim - 30 vtbub
Sutter, Bruce - 50 vtbub
Torre, Joe - 75 vtbub
Trammell, Alan - 10 vtbub
Yastrzemski, Carl - 15 vtbub
Young, Cy - 25 vtbub

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 10:13 PM   #66
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Just an update. I have bids from (in bold)

East

BishopMVP
Chubby
Ramzavail
atz840
vtbub

Mideast

TheLionKing
ISiddiqui
Bearcat729
Coffee Warlord
Honolulu Blue

West

Chief Rum
Oykib
Sooner333
Vince
TroyF

Canada/Unknown

Maple Leafs
Booj
Comey
Suicane75
ntndeacon (sorry, cut it off by accident)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-26-2004 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:00 AM   #67
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Chief, Vince, and Troy... get 'em in .
Old 01-26-2004, 12:11 AM   #68
Vince
Pro Starter

Sorry guys

I'm working on it as we speak (this is tougher than it looks), so I should have mine in within the hour.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:18 AM   #69
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I got my guys. I am just assigning points and then alphabetizing. Be with you in 15 minutes.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:36 AM   #70
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As long as Bishop is still asleep, I'm sure you'll be safe .l
Old 01-26-2004, 01:26 AM   #71
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
As long as Bishop is still asleep, I'm sure you'll be safe .l

Sleep?

I'd say I'll post them around either 11am or 3pm tomorrow, unless I get them all before then. Vince will be fine, TroyF I haven't heard from, and I'm unsure if Chubby will be playing the rest since he can't access the site.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:40 AM   #72
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Chubby is out. I think instead of putting up his players for re-auction, they will be taken out of the bidding. It's only 4, and no one particularly great, so any loss there doesn't make up for the mid-stream alteration of the bidding we would have to do.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:01 AM   #73
Vince
Pro Starter

Ok, sorry it took so long. PM-ing Bishop as we speak. This is getting tough...I have a feeling if you get screwed in this round, you're in deep trouble...
Old 01-26-2004, 04:08 AM   #74
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm thinking that maybe if there is enough interest when we get thru the auction we should try a regular draft, just reading the football thread it seems that alot more immersion is happening over there that we don't have, mainly because alot of what were doing depends on luck. Of course once the teams are all full maybe it'll be different but it just feels kind of sterile this way.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 01-26-2004 at 04:09 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:41 AM   #75
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

sry, I had to drop. 2nd round would be hard enough, much less later rounds trying to figure out who has been picked without being able to get at the site
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:14 AM   #76
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It's those damn relief pitchers that make this reallllly hard to do.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:19 PM   #77
Vince
Pro Starter

I don't know...I think it's the complete ignorance I have for how you all think of some of the guys that I highly regard. It's fun though
Old 01-26-2004, 04:27 PM   #78
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Doing this made me come to the conclusion I know a helluva lot less about baseball than I thought I did.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:46 PM   #79
Huckleberry
College Starter

Shhh.

Along with the Babe, the only other guy to give you a Hall of Fame hitter as well as a very effective pitcher. Although his HoF credentials are debatable.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 01-26-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #80
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Shhh.

Along with the Babe, the only other guy to give you a Hall of Fame hitter as well as a very effective pitcher. Although his HoF credentials are debatable.
Cool Pappa Bell was considered one of the great knucleballers of his era.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote