Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Former Clemson and Atlanta Falcon player.....?

Could somebody point me in the right direction for information on a former Clemson/Falcons running back named Richard Greene. His wife works with my wife and she (his wife) keeps bragging about him, but I can't find any info on him.

So I am interested in finding out if I should have heard of him, or if she is overstating his accomplishments. From what I understand he would have played in the past couple of years. Mid to late 90's at the earliest.

Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:49 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I can't seem to find any evidence of this guy at all.

Did he ever play in a regular season game?

http://pro-football-reference.com/players/gindex.htm
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:00 PM   #3
FBPro
College Starter

Well, I've been a Falcon's fan since....well...WAY back and never heard of him. I wonder if he was just a practice squad guy?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:01 PM   #4
Tasan
College Starter

A quote from that player site:

Quote:
I believe my database contains complete career data for every QB, RB, WR, and TE who

was active in 1960 or later;
has ever had a season of 100 yards rushing, receiving, or passing or has ever scored or thrown for a touchdown.

This guy probably was on the practice squad or inactive for a season then quit.

Last edited by Tasan : 01-27-2003 at 10:02 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Compared to me, that guy was an effin stud!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 02:24 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've had no luck looking up info on this. No matches using any two of the three terms (Greene, Atlanta, Clemson) at least in a couple of cursory searches.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:26 AM   #7
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks guys for helping to confirm my suspicions. I also have tried doing a thousand different searches for Falcons or Clemson alumni.

I think it may very well be a case of her version of his career doesn't exactly match the truth. True, if he was on the practice squad for two years he would officially have "played for the Falcons", but quite different than actually having *played* for the Falcons.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:53 AM   #8
FBPro
College Starter

However, I'm not sure if players on "practice squads" are listed anywhere on the web......
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:31 AM   #9
andy m
High School Varsity

the NFL Record and Fact Book lists practice squads (or first year undrafted rookies at least), but obviously you'd need the specific book for the year he was with them

Last edited by andy m : 01-28-2003 at 06:32 AM.
andy m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:02 AM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

Definately sounds like a case of a bit of disillusion/dishonesty to me..
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:07 AM   #11
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by wade moore
Definately sounds like a case of a bit of disillusion/dishonesty to me..

A car salesman, having seen my wife and I wearing hockey stuff, knew enough about the NHL and minor league structure to try and play like he had been a draft pick, played in the minors, and his career was ended by a bad wrist injury. He got the affiliation between the big club and minor league club right (Calgary Flames and the Salt Lake Golden Eagles was their top affiliate at the time he said he was drafted). Clearly he had some kind of major surgery to his wrist, but for all I know it could've been for carpal tunnel. Anyway, we bought the car because we were happy with the deal, but could never ever find the man's info anywhere for being drafted. A snowjob.

Contrast that with the guy who did the home inspection for the house we bought in 2001. He said he played for Michigan way back, and told us some stories about it back then. Sure enough, using his business card I found stats for him in the Internet Hockey Database.

As far as you can tell, the guy probably has lied about his accomplishments to sucker his wife in, and she still believes it all. Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to bust that bubble.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-28-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:17 AM   #12
Easy Mac

There is a Richard Greene, a maintanence worker at Clemson

There isa a Richard Greene who perforemed at a concert at Atlanta Falcons Stadium

God bless the internet.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:05 PM   #13
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

I like that Easy Mac.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:43 PM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So I decide to try my luck at tracking down the elusive Richard greene, and I hit upon a Canadian football site (Nealon Greene of Clemson is (or was?) in the CFL) and I run across a funny name:

Charles Assmann.

And I think, "OK, that's not too bad, I guess he's probably been calling himself The Assman around his teammates and coeds for quite awhile, as a typical football player-type sexual joke. And then I saw this picture. Apparently, he's not the type of "assman" I thought he was - and neither is # 59.

http://www.slam.ca/FootballGallery00/aug4_1.html
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:46 PM   #15
Hawglaw
H.S. Freshman Team

David Letterman found a guy (I believe in Canada) named Dick Assman. I swear I didn't make this up.... Anyone remember this guy?

Last edited by Hawglaw : 01-28-2003 at 04:46 PM.
Hawglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:48 PM   #16
Hawglaw
H.S. Freshman Team

Dola...

Here is an article on the guy. "Assmania" was started with this guy....

http://www.nationalpost.com/content/features/festivals/080299a.html
Hawglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:53 PM   #17
korme
Go Reds

My mom is a dental assistant and worked on former NFL linebacker Nate Dingle's teeth! He's real! He played for San Diego, or Kansas City, I think.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:59 PM   #18
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Since we are on the subject of IMet.... , I was told recently that my nephew-in-law married one of the private physical therapist for many of the Tampa Bay Buccaneer players. She has been working with Keyshawn even since he moved to Tampa and one of her best friends is John Lynch's wife.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:20 PM   #19
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
A car salesman, having seen my wife and I wearing hockey stuff, knew enough about the NHL and minor league structure to try and play like he had been a draft pick, played in the minors, and his career was ended by a bad wrist injury. He got the affiliation between the big club and minor league club right (Calgary Flames and the Salt Lake Golden Eagles was their top affiliate at the time he said he was drafted). Clearly he had some kind of major surgery to his wrist, but for all I know it could've been for carpal tunnel. Anyway, we bought the car because we were happy with the deal, but could never ever find the man's info anywhere for being drafted. A snowjob.

Contrast that with the guy who did the home inspection for the house we bought in 2001. He said he played for Michigan way back, and told us some stories about it back then. Sure enough, using his business card I found stats for him in the Internet Hockey Database.

As far as you can tell, the guy probably has lied about his accomplishments to sucker his wife in, and she still believes it all. Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to bust that bubble.

The car salesman that sold me my car was Michael Greene. He ran in the 1996 Olympics (Bahamas) and for the Clemson track team. He made it to the final at 100 meters, but ended up dead last. He did win one of his heats though. His story checked out by the way.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:31 PM   #20
jerem77
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
So I decide to try my luck at tracking down the elusive Richard greene, and I hit upon a Canadian football site (Nealon Greene of Clemson is (or was?) in the CFL) and I run across a funny name:

Charles Assmann.

And I think, "OK, that's not too bad, I guess he's probably been calling himself The Assman around his teammates and coeds for quite awhile, as a typical football player-type sexual joke. And then I saw this picture. Apparently, he's not the type of "assman" I thought he was - and neither is # 59.

http://www.slam.ca/FootballGallery00/aug4_1.html

That picture is wrong in a santa clause-pepsi can kind of way.
jerem77 is offline   Reply With Quote