Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2003, 08:14 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

OT-Premium Gas

About 6 months ago, I got a new (used) car--a 1999 Olds. Alero--that was kept in good condition by its other owner. This car is obviously not a high performance car, but I plan to keep it for as long as I can. It's got ~34000 miles. I am changing/checking the oil, fluids, belts, etc. as I am supposed to.

I have also been putting the premium gas in the car on the theory that a few extra dollars a tank is worth keeping the engine clean. However, I have heard from several people that the high end gas is really no better than the regular stuff. I have also heard from people who say that it is better and is worth the money. No one seems to be able to agree, and no one seems to have anything to back up their belief.

Does anyone here have insight on the issue? Should I keep using the good stuff, or should I just use the regular?

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:19 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

If the vehicle manual recommends premium you should use it. If the vehicle doesn't require premium don't use it. Depending on the engine, you need to use the correct type of gas. Using the wrong type of gas can cause problems and shorten the life of your engine. It's not a case of one type of gas is better for all vehicles, it's a matter of octane content and what the engine is designed to run on.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:21 AM   #3
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

OK, my source is my Dad, for what that is worth, but he used to work on cars and sell cars when he was young, so he does know just about everything there is to know about them, but I cannot guarantee that this is correct info.

He said the premium gas is worth it if you are driving a V8 engine, otherwise for the smaller engines the regular is fine.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 01-28-2003 at 08:21 AM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:23 AM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I second Bee's opinion, if the manual recommends Premium it needs premium, but otherwise just use regular unleaded and pocket the change.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

Here's a link.

They basically say to use what's recommended unless your engine is knocking and if that happens try a higher octane gas.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:27 AM   #6
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
If the vehicle manual recommends premium you should use it. If the vehicle doesn't require premium don't use it. Depending on the engine, you need to use the correct type of gas. Using the wrong type of gas can cause problems and shorten the life of your engine. It's not a case of one type of gas is better for all vehicles, it's a matter of octane content and what the engine is designed to run on.

I will second this info. It is always exactly what I have been lead to believe. The difference is the octane it contains. High preformance cars are designed for higher octane gas, your car isnt going to gain anything from the more expensive gas.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:37 AM   #7
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Thanks. I just found my owner's manual online, and it recomends 87 octane or higher. So regular gas it is. That just means more money for Red Fusion at the gas station.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:38 AM   #8
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Dola--

Fast reply rocks. This new board certainly should get the 92 octane.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:36 AM   #9
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
owners manuals use to recomend changing your oil every 7-8,000 miles.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:51 AM   #10
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
owners manuals use to recomend changing your oil every 7-8,000 miles.

Interestingly, i remeber seeing a report a number of years back (maybe on 60 minutes?)where they tested engine wear and tear on NY city taxis over several years. and they came to the conclution that changeing your oil every 3 months 3000 miles offered no more protection than every 6 months 6000 miles. THey also said that there was absolutly no difference between the brands (except syntheics).
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:14 AM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

My brand new , 2003 Toyota Celica says change your oil every 7,500 miles --- or 5,000 miles if you drive it roughly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:37 AM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

I've seen similar studies about changing the oil.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Yeah, that's why I change the oil on my car every 40,000 miles.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:50 AM   #14
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000

heh heh heh, yeah i'm on the 15,000-20,000 mile plan
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:56 AM   #15
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
If the vehicle manual recommends premium you should use it.

The cynic in me (which is 99% of my soul) must step in here and say that there is probably some sort of financial incentive from oil companies to car manufacturers to recommend premium gas in their cars. What is printed in the owner's manual is often advice that is in the best financial interest of the company that prints it, not necesarily the owner reading it.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:11 AM   #16
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
The cynic in me (which is 99% of my soul) must step in here and say that there is probably some sort of financial incentive from oil companies to car manufacturers to recommend premium gas in their cars. What is printed in the owner's manual is often advice that is in the best financial interest of the company that prints it, not necesarily the owner reading it.

Although I'm generally cynical, it's very uncommon for the manual to recommend premium oil. Generally it's recommended only in high compression engines on V8's (like in a Caddy or something similar). I think car manufacturers would be making a big mistake by recommending something like that with all the consumer groups out there that would be all over them, especially if it were found out they had taken money from oil companies. It would probably ruin the car company and it wouldn't surprise me if it were illegal.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:28 AM   #17
bbor
Pro Starter

It's funny...they used to tell you to change your oil every 10 000 miles...NOW..with new and improved oils....you should change your oil every 3000 miles...what gives?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:32 AM   #18
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
It's funny...they used to tell you to change your oil every 10 000 miles...NOW..with new and improved oils....you should change your oil every 3000 miles...what gives?

I'm not sure, but it could be that today's engine's are more complicated, with more moving parts, all in a smaller area. They might just be much less tolerant to friction than older engines. Just a guess though.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:44 AM   #19
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor

Engines today are smaller and generate more power (thus generating more heat). They also use less oil, so the oil generally breaks down faster under the additional heat and there's less oil to do the work.

As wademoore pointed out, it's not uncommon for manuals to recommend changing oil every 7500 miles. That's under ideal circumstances. I wouldn't recommend it if you drive in what I would consider "normal" circumstances. If you live someplace where it gets really hot, or really cold that hurts. If you live someplace with lots of traffic that hurts. If you do a lot of city driving (stop and go) that hurts. If you make a lot of short trips (10 minute drives or something like that) that hurts.

The studies I've looked at have always done comparisons of changing the oil every 3000 miles vs 5000 or 6000 miles in ideal situations. Most of us don't drive under those conditions, but if you do then it doesn't make a difference. If you use synthetic oil you can usually go longer too (synthetic doesn't break down nearly as fast as petroleum based oil).

If you are wondering, I did some research on this subject a couple years ago for a night class.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:58 AM   #20
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
The point I was trying to make goes along with Samdari's cynicism. Manufacturer recommendations are not necessarily best practices.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:01 PM   #21
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Let the Red Fusion Revolution begin!!
Old 01-28-2003, 01:07 PM   #22
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000

I thought I was the only one doing this?
Old 01-28-2003, 04:07 PM   #23
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Personally I feel that premium gas is huge waste of money but maybe I'm biased.

I have this friend who drives a 1979 Buick Tornado. I just got my license last week, so for the past few months I have been bumming rides off him. Despite the fact his car is a gas hog and gets about 5 miles per gallon, he always uses premium gas and then complains about giving rides because it is expensive. WHen you try to be a nice guy and throw him a few bucks for all the rides he gives you, he gets upset and complains that its not enough money because premium gas cost more.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to vent my fustration about "premium" gas.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:12 PM   #24
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Talking

A '79 Buick Tornado? Now that is a Hooptie..
Old 01-28-2003, 05:26 PM   #25
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I've got a 2000 VW, it states use premium gas, so I do.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:27 PM   #26
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Again, the studies say only use Premium if recomended. That was one of the reasons I traded my Maxima for my Camry (better gas milage+ premium versus regular= much money).

Also, the study on taxi's and oil changes was done by consumer report. The final verdict was 5,000 miles should be fine and 7,500 would be ok, but 3500 is a waste of money.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:28 PM   #27
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
A '79 Buick Tornado? Now that is a Hooptie..

I forgot to mention the best part, it's bright yellow and stands out in any crowd. Anytime he is driving anywhere, you can see the people looking at the car, wondering what jerk drives it.

The funny part is he was supposed to lease an Acura, which only would have used for a year or two before he went to college. Then his neighbor gave him this car and he decided it was the better option. It gives so much trouble and all I say to him is:

You get what you pay for.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote