Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2003, 11:10 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Unhappy And the long, cold NFL offseason begins...

Nothing to look forward to until the draft.

I wonder if there are more suicides right at the end of January.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Unhappy

It's basically a 6 month hangover, with a glimmer of hope here and there. (Draft, 1st day of free agency, etc...)

I don't know how I'll make it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Pitchers and catchers report!

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but once I make it through the crappiness that is February, it's all good from there!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-27-2003 at 11:14 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:19 AM   #4
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Pitchers and catchers report!

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but once I make it through the crappiness that is February, it's all good from there!

Used to to join you. Now, I just don't care. I want my football back.

Maybe I can get into the Arena league this year. If only Atlanta had a MLS team.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:19 AM   #5
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Smile

Just BORING overall until College Hoops Tourney Time begins in early March with Conference Tournaments and then the Big Dance to take us to early April.. Baseball? They'll still playing MLB nowadays?

After the College Hoops season is over, the NBA Playoffs come soon after, along with the NHL's version...

But after that... the long summer drought up until August when College Football gets back into action and the NFL gears up for the '03 season.

Note: I didn't mean to bash Baseball, it's just 162 Games? Talk about your long, drawn out seasons.. Much like the NBA & NHL. Not a lot of folks start paying attention until right at the end of the Regular Season & Playoff Time.. As for the first few months of each of those leagues, they may as well simulate them..

By the way, anyone want to join me at the Atlantic Sun Conference Men's Basketball Tournament in Atlanta in early March? UCF is going to the Big Dance this year baby!!

Last edited by MylesKnight : 01-27-2003 at 11:21 AM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
Ksyrup

Having boxscores to look at every morning is about the only things that gets me through spring and summer. I go into withdrawals during the all-star break. What can I say? I'm a baseball junkie and always will be. I love the NFL - Sunday afternoons are special - but for me, the best sports-related day of the year is Opening day.

Games with meaning? I don't need that to enjoy baseball any more than I need it to enjoy football. I'm as happy to have an Indians-Royals game on in May as I am to have a Jaguars-Texans game on in October. Would I rather watch a game between two great teams? Of course, in either sport that is true. But 162 games or 16, they each have their share of meaningless games. If you really like the sport, regardless of which sport it is, you won't care.

There's nothing like sitting in 80 degree weather watching a spring training game, with all of the sights and sounds of baseball going on. Those games are obviously meaningless, but provide some of the most fun I've ever had at a sporting event.

To each his own, I guess!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-27-2003, 11:33 AM   #7
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

February is the only real rough month for me. After that, there's a lot that I look forward to. March is the NCAA Tourney and Spring Training. April brings the start of baseball. The Padres usually stay close enough to bridge the gap to the start of NFL training camp (after which they fade fast and are out of it by the All-Star break).
Old 01-27-2003, 12:20 PM   #8
McSweeny
College Starter

finally, bring on baseball!!

2 weeks or so until pitchers and catchers report and then it's smooth sailing until october! ahhhh
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:07 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Having boxscores to look at every morning is about the only things that gets me through spring and summer. I go into withdrawals during the all-star break. What can I say? I'm a baseball junkie and always will be. I love the NFL - Sunday afternoons are special - but for me, the best sports-related day of the year is Opening day.

Games with meaning? I don't need that to enjoy baseball any more than I need it to enjoy football. I'm as happy to have an Indians-Royals game on in May as I am to have a Jaguars-Texans game on in October. Would I rather watch a game between two great teams? Of course, in either sport that is true. But 162 games or 16, they each have their share of meaningless games. If you really like the sport, regardless of which sport it is, you won't care.

There's nothing like sitting in 80 degree weather watching a spring training game, with all of the sights and sounds of baseball going on. Those games are obviously meaningless, but provide some of the most fun I've ever had at a sporting event.

To each his own, I guess!

Ditto, KSyrup. And as an Angels fan, I am champing at the bit to get this season started. Still way too many doubters out there.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:07 PM   #10
RendeR
Coordinator

Hey, if you're looking for a quick fix from the NFL blues, next sunday is the Bud Shootout, exhibition race at Daytona, and the following sunday, is the Great American Race itself, the Daytona 500!!

With Tony Stewart looking to put his Home Depot Chevrolet on the podium again this season and his teamated bobby labonte right behind its looking like an exciting year in NASCAR.

4 manufacturers put their machines to test in 36 events in 2003. Super Speedways, High Speed 1.5 mile ovals, short track fender banging, and even a couple road courses.

If you like speed, and banging doors with your opponent at 200 MPH, you can't miss out on this!

End shameless plug for NASCAR Racing on FOX.

I hate FOX by the way, they announcers get annoying at times, and they do the same OVER hyping of everything which ruins some aspects of sports. But hey, thats where the show is this year, so I roll with it!

And you guys can ALWAYS join up for our FOFCRacing Season 5 action!

RendeR
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:08 PM   #11
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I know, this is the worst time of the year for me as a sports fan. I casually watch college basketball until the madness kicks it up some. I always keep up with Arsenal (English Premier League) and Crystal Palace (1st division), but no digital cable here means no updates on TV, just internet. Otherwise, nothing much. NBA seems to predetermined for me to get into. And I never did get into baseball.
It seems like a long time until April's draft. Time to check out soccernet...
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:20 PM   #12
Braggadocioussss
In The Penalty Box

I'm with Ksyrup.
Braggadocioussss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:36 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Unhappy

Well, I just heard a radio advertisement for the Arena Football League this weekend on NBC. I'll give it a shot, but I have a feeling it's going to be a lot like an alcoholic turning to some O'Douls to satisfy a craving.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:42 PM   #14
Ksyrup

It's OK, but not something I've ever really enjoyed. I just think the field is way too short. I actually like real drives, instead of fastbreak football - there's more strategy to it.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:49 PM   #15
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Well, I just heard a radio advertisement for the Arena Football League this weekend on NBC. I'll give it a shot, but I have a feeling it's going to be a lot like an alcoholic turning to some O'Douls to satisfy a craving.

I think this is one hell of an analogy CT.. Although I do enjoy the AFL to a certain extent, it is just as you stated above..
Old 01-27-2003, 01:51 PM   #16
henry296
College Starter

There is never downtime for me as a sports fan. I'll focus my energies for the next two months on College Basketball. You have a huge game tonight with Texas vs. Kansas. Almost every night there is a good solid game. My alma mater finally plays its first conference game on Friday night.

Then, the hockey playoffs begin. Hopefully Lemiuex's groing heals and the Pens can at least play a couple of playoff games.

After that is baseball with games every night and with fantasy baseball, you need to keep up.

After that is football.

Repeat.

Todd
Old 01-27-2003, 01:59 PM   #17
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Same here, I'm almost "devastated" once the SuperBowl is over, knowing the big long hangover begins...although I've felt better about it in recent years than I have had in the past, when I was a teen.

Just like everybody else, I look forward to the April 26th NFL Draft...and from then I'll get on to NFL Europe.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:30 PM   #18
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by RendeR
Hey, if you're looking for a quick fix from the NFL blues, next sunday is the Bud Shootout, exhibition race at Daytona, and the following sunday, is the Great American Race itself, the Daytona 500!!

With Tony Stewart looking to put his Home Depot Chevrolet on the podium again this season and his teamated bobby labonte right behind its looking like an exciting year in NASCAR.

4 manufacturers put their machines to test in 36 events in 2003. Super Speedways, High Speed 1.5 mile ovals, short track fender banging, and even a couple road courses.

If you like speed, and banging doors with your opponent at 200 MPH, you can't miss out on this!

End shameless plug for NASCAR Racing on FOX.

I hate FOX by the way, they announcers get annoying at times, and they do the same OVER hyping of everything which ruins some aspects of sports. But hey, thats where the show is this year, so I roll with it!

And you guys can ALWAYS join up for our FOFCRacing Season 5 action!

RendeR

Hey, DW is the man! Yeah, maybe this will be the year that I keep up with racing all year. I always start hot, but lose interest about June.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:04 PM   #19
ctmason
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
Used to to join you. Now, I just don't care. I want my football back.

Maybe I can get into the Arena league this year. If only Atlanta had a MLS team.

What are the Silverbacks? Do they still play?
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:07 PM   #20
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by ctmason
What are the Silverbacks? Do they still play?

A lower division team. I think they still play, but with no media coverage, who can say?
Old 01-27-2003, 04:32 PM   #21
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I can't watch racing, though I was made to watch one race, it happened to be Earnhart's last one, witnessed the crash too...

I'm actually interested in following baseball, because there is so much expectation on the Phillies this year, but I won't go to a ballgame, and I probably won't watch any games...but I'll be reading up on them...

The Flyers will become more prominent now that the Eagles are done...the Sixers are just in sad shape...

Mainly I'll try to do things outside the realm of sportswatching...but you never know...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:49 PM   #22
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Subject? Is this compulsory? ;)

Wohoo!
The NFL season is over, meaning the NFL Europe draft is in 8 days!

Then come the two months of players weighing to eventually start the NFLEL season.
I'm already trying to plan a visit to one of the first season half home games of the Admirals.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:44 PM   #23
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
Still way too many doubters out there.

Chief Rum

Seriously...I think I've heard more Giants bashing than ever, now that they lost in the world series. And not only for next year...some people just don't understand what it takes to get to the World Series, I guess...let alone take it to game 7.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:38 PM   #24
TLK
Pro Starter

February 2 -- Pro Bowl - Honolulu

February 18-24 -- Scouting Combine - Indianapolis

February 20 -- Deadline for clubs to designate
franchise and transition players

February 24 -- NFL Europe training camps open

February 27 -- Deadline for submission of qualifying offers
by clubs to their restricted free agents whose
contracts have expired and to whom they desire
to retain a right of first refusal/compensation

-- Deadline for clubs to submit offer of minimum salary
to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players
with fewer than three seasons of free agency credit
whose contracts have expired

February 28 -- Veteran free agency signing period begins

-- Trading period begins

March 23-26 -- NFL annual meetings - Phoenix

April 5 -- NFL Europe regular season begins

April 18 -- Signing period ends for restricted free agents

April 25 -- Deadline for old club to exercise right of first
refusal to restricted free agents

April 26-27 -- NFL Draft - New York

May 20-21 -- NFL Spring Meetings - Philadelphia

June 1 -- Deadline for old clubs to sender tender to
unsigned unrestricted free agents to receive
exclusive negotiating rights for rest of season
if player is not signed by another club by July 22

-- Deadline for old clubs to sender tender to unsigned
restricted free agents or to extend qualifying offer
to retain exclusive negotiating rights

June 8 -- NFL Europe regular season ends

June 15 -- Deadline for old clubs to withdraw original qualifying offer to unsigned restricted free agents and still
retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting tender
of 110 percent of previous year's salary

July 22 -- Signing period ends (4:00 p.m. ET) for unrestricted
free agents who received June 1 tender

August 4 -- Hall of Fame Game - Canton, Ohio

from yahoo

Last edited by TLK : 01-28-2003 at 04:39 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:52 PM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hell, after Februrary, it's baseball time baby!!