Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2003, 10:06 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT: Retrospective look at NFL salaries

We often hear about the salary deals of various players in the NFL. It's interesting stuff - certainly to a group like ours.

We know, however, that football is different than most other sports. Much less of a given contract is guaranteed, and there are often various incentive clauses of many different kinds that make it tough to know at the outset how much a given contract will actually pay the player, and for how long.

I wonder is there exists a resource to find out how much players actually were paid over their careers. How much money actually changed hands - bonus, salary, incentives, etc - after the fact.

I actually have no idea who have been the highest-paid players in football, but it might be interesting to find out. (I'm guessing that the bonus-heavy deal Washington signed with Deion Sanders only to get one year would rank right up there... indeed, Deion might have made the most money playing football of anyone) Anyone know of a resource that could help us out here?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

I don't, but I'd be very interested if anyone else does.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:03 AM   #3
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Love to know this.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Well, McNabb is the highest-paid player right now 12 years, 115 million and Moss is the highest-paid non QB.

If anyone wantes to read this, its the best explanation of how the NFL salary cap works that I have found:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/in...&cont_id=91027

Here is some other info about the actual CBA:

http://www.nflpa.org/members/main.as...e=CBA+Complete

As far as who has actually collected the most money over their career for playing in the NFL, my money would be on a quarterback that has played in the last 10-13 years with his career already over. Deion would certainly be up there though.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 01-27-2003 at 11:25 AM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:39 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
Well, McNabb is the highest-paid player right now 12 years, 115 million and Moss is the highest-paid non QB.

And while I don't dispute this, this seems to be the analysis we are always stuck with. McNabb's contract assumes certain things - probably that he plays out the remainder of the deal, maybe he reaches some "reasonable" incentives, etc. But we don't know if that will all happen. Plus, a 12-year contract at $115... is that really a "bigger" contract than somebody else who might have a 4 year deal for $50m? Open questions, of course.

That's the reason to look backward rather than forward - we'd theoretically be able to see actuals, rather than projections.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:40 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

I remember hearing that in order for McNabb to get the full amount, he'll have to play out the entire contract. Obviously, but it sounded liek they were implying some sort of large roster bonus for being on the team when the contract ends.

I wouldn't be surprised if the total included all incentives being met, whatever they may be.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote