Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2024, 08:34 AM   #2901
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It's smart, though. Most of the people I know who are Republicans and say they're still voting for him, that's the reason. The either competely discount the authoritarian stuff or flat-out don't care, as long as they get their tax breaks, or 2nd Amendment protections, or abortion restrictions, or whatever matters most to them.

I really don't know many people (outside of my parents and some of my wife's relatives) who are all-in on Trump the personality as the driving reason for their votes. A lot of those people obviously exist, but I don't really have any personal association with any of them.

Those people were always going to vote Repube. Kamala and Walz aren't swaying them, they need to sway those that weren't engaged because Biden was too old, Trump too crazy and nothing in between. Undecideds, independents and the uninterested finally got an option to commit too that wasn't old or crazy.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 08:39 AM   #2902
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 09:27 AM   #2903
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Those people were always going to vote Repube. Kamala and Walz aren't swaying them, they need to sway those that weren't engaged because Biden was too old, Trump too crazy and nothing in between. Undecideds, independents and the uninterested finally got an option to commit too that wasn't old or crazy.

Yes, but we're talking about Republicans giving Republicans (or independents who favor Republican policies) reasons to come out to vote for Trump. The name of the game, at the end of the day, is turnout. This is casting a wide net, not just for people who are definitively going to vote, but those who aren't or if they do, might pick RFK or another 3rd party looney as some sort of protest vote. My brother falls in the latter category, for instance.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-09-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 09:40 AM   #2904
Ksyrup

JD Vance seems like Ron DeSantis if he had even less self-awareness about how awkward/cringy he came off to people who are not Trump's base.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-09-2024, 11:13 AM   #2905
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Those people were always going to vote Repube.
Not necessarily, and I realize it may be new to "pundits," but this "Wizard of Oz" was a thing among a fair number of my associates back in Georgia dating back to 2016. I had one conversation with an old friend in 2016 that I distinctly remember in detail, because of how his thought process evolved over time. In 2016 "Melvin" called Trump a "reprobate" and said that in his view the Supreme Court was the most important thing, and that he didn't even trust Trump with that, but (pretty sure this is a direct quote) "I don't know who Trump would put on there, but I KNOW who Clinton's gonna put on there, so I'm voting for Trump."

For context, "Melvin" and the GREAT majority of my close friends down in Georgia are like me: biblically-conservative Christians who supported Rubio in 2016--before he bowed the knee. (I know it may be hard to remember, but in 2015 and early 2016 he was the clear leader in the "Compassionate Conservative" lane.) Most of them said they went third party in 2016. The ones that didn't pretty much lined up with Melvin: "can't stand Trump, but Supreme Court."

Fast forward to summer 2020. Because I was the most long-term/present black guy in our crew back in the day, everyone wanted to get together to hear my perspective on BLM, George Floyd, etc., so when I was down there for July 4th that year, we had a long gathering to talk and pray. Inevitably, the Trump Bible-raising incident came up, and "Melvin" jumped into the conservation with "That was the last straw for me, even though he's been great with the Supreme Court and judges. I'm writing in Mike Pence." As mentioned earlier, some of the had voted for Trump in 2016, but the ones that had all said they were done with him as well. (One did change his mind not based on politics. He probably cares about college football more than anything else, and Trump moving toward "opening up the country" more than the Dems caused him to vote for Trump because he didn't want the 2021 season to be "ruined" like 2020. Ironically, he by FAR the most vocal/aghast in our text chain within a day or two of the 2020 election when Trump started whining about election interference, saying how embarrassing an unbecoming it was and that he needed to just concede and move on. Point being, not exactly a hardcore Trumper...and holy COW, the things that people will vote based upon....) Anyway, "Melvin" confirmed to me and others that he wrote in Pence, can't stand Biden/Harris, but has zero regrets about helping them win Georgia by not voting Trump.

Bottom line: Trump acting like this doesn't necessarily switch reliable R votes to D votes, but I've seen how it can switch reliable R votes to write-ins/third parties.
Old 08-09-2024, 11:39 AM   #2906
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Part of Ben's post made me wonder what, exactly, is "compassionate conservatism" these days?

Let's take Marco Rubio. There's nothing in his political positions that indicates compassion, except a religiosity that suggests compassion.

He's against the legalisation of marijuana and in favor of increased penalties for drug crimes, even minor drug crimes.

Although he has made some minor noises around gun control, his voting record is heavily pro-gun.

He is very pro-deregulation and praises companies that exploit workers while being anti-union.

He's a hardliner on closing the border and, among other things, wants to slow the entry of refugees into the United States.

He has called for Israel to use "disproportionate response" in the Gaza Strip. Also: "On CNN, Marco Rubio responded to a question from Jake Tapper about civilian casualties in Gaza by saying, “I don’t think there’s any way Israel can be expected to coexist or find some diplomatic off-ramp with these savages…. They have to be eradicated."

He voted against the Violence Against Women act, opposes abortion rights even in cases of rape or incest, and believes strongly that marriage is only between a man and a woman.

He votes consistently to overfund the Department of Defense and cut funding to the Department of Education (with a goal of eliminating it altogether).

Someone help me out here. What does "compassionate conservatism" mean? Did it ever mean anything?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 11:41 AM   #2907
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Damage is already done. The focus of Evangelicals was taking away the rights of everyone but Christians.

I'm sure he sleeps fine at night knowing the Supreme Court is ready to annoint Trump as a supreme dictator free of any restraint, the subjugation of women, removing any protections to the environment, destroying public schools, allowing corruption, etc...

But I'm sure a bible in every school will fix everything.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 11:59 AM   #2908
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Someone help me out here. What does "compassionate conservatism" mean? Did it ever mean anything?

Compassionate because they strive to force everyone to live by the same rules as their "biblically-conservative" worldview...hence saving them?

Yeah, that's a bit flippant, but I'm really not sure these days either. If Ben's definition of "biblically-conservative" is akin to what I imagine my FIL's to be, it's a lot more of "these are things that God says you can't do" than actually, well, showing anyone compassion or doing anything to help them. This is not to say that churches don't help (food drives/kitchens, shelters, etc.) but I'm going to venture that the percentage of folks who actively participate/support such ventures is a minority.
Old 08-09-2024, 12:09 PM   #2909
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Compassionate because they strive to force everyone to live by the same rules as their "biblically-conservative" worldview...hence saving them?

Yeah, that's a bit flippant, but I'm really not sure these days either. If Ben's definition of "biblically-conservative" is akin to what I imagine my FIL's to be, it's a lot more of "these are things that God says you can't do" than actually, well, showing anyone compassion or doing anything to help them. This is not to say that churches don't help (food drives/kitchens, shelters, etc.) but I'm going to venture that the percentage of folks who actively participate/support such ventures is a minority.

I'm an Atheist so I probably don't have the best perspective on this, but I feel the problem with Christian Comservatism right now and trying to define it is it's been infiltrated by MAGA beliefs that find the teachings of Jesus as "too woke". Additionally, with that, we've seen an uncomfortable merger of politics and religion on a level we really haven't seen in our lifetimes. Larger congregations have become outwardly political because they know no one has the balls to challenge their 501c3 status.

The smaller congregations are the ones that are typically doing those good things you mention. They don't have the ability nor rhe desire to speak out against the congregations that have moved away from religion and more toward being a Sunday political gathering.

So with all of that, asking someone like Ben what Christian conservatism is and asking someone that's MAGA what it is will get you 2 opposing and conflicting answers.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 01:33 PM   #2910
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

This kind of story literally killed Brian Williams's career on the Nightly News. For Trump, it's just another, meh

TrumpÂ*said he ‘went down’ inÂ*helicopter ‘emergency landing’ with former San Francisco mayor, who says it never happened | CNN Politics
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 02:28 PM   #2911
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I don't have the experience to talk too much, but it is distasteful to me how the more political the discussion/argument, the higher the hypothetical military and individual soldier ascend into unquestionable sainthood.

For sure many, many great men and women have served this country with amazing sacrifice and courage, and even more have done so unremarkably, but still with honor....but the armed forces also have a long, storied history as a literal haven for criminals, sociopaths, rapists and inveterate dipshits. It is hard for me to take all the jingoism and puffery seriously when military service gets suggested as some kind of league of superheroes.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-09-2024 at 02:29 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 02:33 PM   #2912
Ben E Lou

There's basically no such thing any more in the Republican Party how I'd use that term. I'm sure many of y'all have seen this, but...

What does compassionate/biblicalconservatism look like to me today?

My buddy "Melvin" from above. Late 50s white male. Born and raised in Columbus, GA. Upper middle to upper class. Former youth pastor. He was a criminal justice major in college and is 100% convinced that the most practical way to reduce crime is to work with at-risk/underprivileged children and youth in the realm of education, job skills, leadership development, etc. Board member (and I'm certain also a major donor) of an organization that works with poor, mostly minority kids to enhance educational opportunities.

It's the church we are a part of in Greensboro. Holds to what most on here would call a "conservative/very conservative" ethic around marriage, family, etc. Also has one of--if not the--largest welcoming ministry to refugees in the area. (Greensboro has a shockingly large refugee community, especially from East Africa.) Even has a farm ministry that grows East African crops, because culture matters to people. Pours thousands of dollars into partnership with a group of churches and Compassion International in Rwanda. Delivers food and provides rides to work for dozens (hundreds?) of refugee families.

It's MercyMed in my old home town, where a board-certified physician has spent his entire career choosing to make FAR less $$$ than he could have, instead opting to run non-profit medical clinics providing services to the poor and underserved. (I've known the founder since I was around 15, and the founder's older brother was one of my groomsmen in 1998, and hosted the aforementioned gathering in July 2020.)

It's the baby boomer extremely prominent lawyer from my home town who put his "stamp of approval" on my mixed-race wedding in 1998--not a popular position among his peers at the time--by not only throwing a huge party for it, but MCing the rehearsal dinner. And it's the same dude in 2017ish basically daring any of the MAGA types in our home town to say a word when he plastered pics of his daughter, son-in-law, and their adopted black daughter ALL over social media. (That may not sound like a big deal, but he's 75. I assure you, it was a HUGE near-scandolous deal.)

It was the appeal of the 2013ish Republican "Autopsy," that provided a supposed blueprint for the part moving forward: more engagement of minorities, less focus on social issues, return to Reagan/Bush style positions on immigrations, etc.

...and then Trump happened.
Just a moment...

Old 08-09-2024, 02:39 PM   #2913
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
If Ben's definition of "biblically-conservative" is akin to what I imagine my FIL's to be, it's a lot more of "these are things that God says you can't do" than actually, well, showing anyone compassion or doing anything to help them.
The only people Jesus EVER called out for "doing bad things" were religious leaders. He definitely didn't expect Gentiles to act like Jews. I don't expect people who don't claim to follow Jesus to act like they follow Jesus. That's just dumb.

Old 08-09-2024, 02:55 PM   #2914
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
...but I feel the problem with Christian Comservatism right now and trying to define it is it's been infiltrated by MAGA beliefs that find the teachings of Jesus as "too woke"..
This. One of the pastors who performed our wedding 26 years ago is now serving here in Greensboro. He's had MAGA folks leave his church over him preaching straight from the beatitudes. No "wokeness" whatsoever in this guy. HE IS FREAKING PCA! For those unaware, the PCA/Presbyterian Church in America across the board is probably the most......trying to find the right words here..."preach it the EXACT way the Bible teaches it" sort of "doctrinal purist" denomination there is. People probably think of Southern Baptists that way, but because of the way they're governed, there is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more latitude within individual congregations to take a more liberal or conservative interpretation of the Bible in the SBC than there is or ever will be in the PCA. They. Toe. The. Line.
The bottom line for me is that we're talking about people who claim to be Christians...but if they find their political opinions in conflict with the teachings of the Bible, their political opinions win, and as best as I can tell, they're not even ashamed or introspective about that fact.

Old 08-09-2024, 03:13 PM   #2915
Ksyrup

That's my parents in a nutshell. Devout Catholics, everything in life revolves around religion or making everything about religion, but they love Trump, detest immigrants, talk down minorities in general (those they don't personally know), love to gamble, etc. Zero self-awareness of many things, one of them being their self-professed "life of Christ" juxtaposed by how they actually live their lives.

I just happened to be with them the day Biden stepped aside for Harris. They had to run home and put on Fox News to be bombarded with all the crap so they could literally seethe with contempt sitting on the couch. Mom had to throw out the "dumb black bitch" comment as the commentators were talking about her.

My brother and I talk all the time about what miserable people they have turned into. It's pretty sad. I definitely trace it back to the early/mid-90s Rush Limbaugh shows.
Old 08-09-2024, 03:37 PM   #2916
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That's weird.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 03:37 PM   #2917
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
This. One of the pastors who performed our wedding 26 years ago is now serving here in Greensboro. He's had MAGA folks leave his church over him preaching straight from the beatitudes. No "wokeness" whatsoever in this guy. HE IS FREAKING PCA! For those unaware, the PCA/Presbyterian Church in America across the board is probably the most......trying to find the right words here..."preach it the EXACT way the Bible teaches it" sort of "doctrinal purist" denomination there is. People probably think of Southern Baptists that way, but because of the way they're governed, there is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more latitude within individual congregations to take a more liberal or conservative interpretation of the Bible in the SBC than there is or ever will be in the PCA. They. Toe. The. Line.
The bottom line for me is that we're talking about people who claim to be Christians...but if they find their political opinions in conflict with the teachings of the Bible, their political opinions win, and as best as I can tell, they're not even ashamed or introspective about that fact.

I mean really that's why we have so many different Christian sects/denominations in the first place.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 04:00 PM   #2918
thesloppy
Pro Starter

All of this speaks to why non-Christians shudder when they hear how passionate Christains are about saddling us all with the values they obviously and constantly neglect.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-09-2024 at 04:00 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 04:22 PM   #2919
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So who is "Melvin" voting for this year?

The people that amaze me are the ones who swore off Trump but are now all in again. My in laws are very republican, my mother in law is very MAGA although she hides it (no shirts, flags, etc....) but my FIL swore off Trump after 1/6. Now when I go to their house Newsmax is ALWAYS on so I suspect he is back in the fold.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 05:26 PM   #2920
GrantDawg

Trump just put a $23.8 million dollar ad buy in Georgia. I believe they may be worried a little bit about Georgia.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2024, 05:44 PM   #2921
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That's weird.

He's going to have a Bob Pirsig style breakdown?

Last edited by Passacaglia : 08-09-2024 at 05:44 PM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 05:45 PM   #2922
Ksyrup

Mechanical issues. Supposedly with the plane, not his brain.
Old 08-09-2024, 05:50 PM   #2923
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Mechanical issues. Supposedly with the plane, not his brain.

now send money
Old 08-09-2024, 05:52 PM   #2924
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wouldn't it be ironic if the day after making up a story about being involved in an air disaster he actually was involved in an air disaster?
Old 08-09-2024, 05:55 PM   #2925
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Trump just put a $23.8 million dollar ad buy in Georgia. I believe they may be worried a little bit about Georgia.

The only time I ever watch TV with ads is sports. Living in a battleground state it’s going to be very, very hard to watch football until after November 5th. I was just at restaurant with a lot of TVs and even with zero volume the sheer number of political ads was overwhelming. It doesn’t help that my wife works for a candidate running for Senate, which just makes it harder to really ignore.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 06:00 PM   #2926
GrantDawg

I have had a Harris commercial every break watching the Olympics on Peacock.

Old 08-09-2024, 06:08 PM   #2927
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox
mean really that's why we have so many different Christian sects/denominations in the first place.

It's part of it, but I don't think it's even the largest factor. There are a lot of doctrinal disagreements that have nothing to do with politics whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep
asking someone like Ben what Christian conservatism is and asking someone that's MAGA what it is will get you 2 opposing and conflicting answers.

Yep. All you have to do is compare Ben to Jon and understand that, as Jon has said himself, a lot of Christian conservatives think he's too liberal.

As a rule, I don't do the bumper-sticker thing for various reasons, but I'm pondering getting a Harris one and seeing what the reaction is from the church I attend. I don't think they'd remove me from the membership, but it would definitely not be a popular POV and would likely upset some people. Politicking from the pulpit absolutely doesn't happen, and most of the time people know when to park it, but there is an 'under-the-radar' mindset that sometimes bubbles up in things like prayer meetings.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-09-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 06:48 PM   #2928
Ksyrup

Quote:
I have had a Harris commercial every break watching the Olympics on Peacock.

So have I, and I'm in KY.
Old 08-09-2024, 07:00 PM   #2929
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Wouldn't it be ironic if the day after making up a story about being involved in an air disaster he actually was involved in an air disaster?

he could make up another story then about how he fixed the plane and saved them all
Old 08-09-2024, 08:08 PM   #2930
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Living in a battleground state it’s going to be very, very hard to watch football until after November 5th.

I have to say this is one of the great things about living in Illinois.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 08:16 PM   #2931
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I have to say this is one of the great things about living in Illinois.

Jersey!

Havent seen one
Old 08-09-2024, 08:26 PM   #2932
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
he could make up another story then about how he fixed the plane and saved them all

I can't wait to see the images on Twitter from blue checkmarks of Trump carrying a plane on his back.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 10:20 PM   #2933
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I can't wait to see the images on Twitter from blue checkmarks of Trump carrying a plane on his back.

With the hand of God helping just to keep the evangelicals happy
Old 08-09-2024, 11:00 PM   #2934
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's smart, though. Most of the people I know who are Republicans and say they're still voting for him, that's the reason. The either competely discount the authoritarian stuff or flat-out don't care, as long as they get their tax breaks, or 2nd Amendment protections, or abortion restrictions, or whatever matters most to them.

I really don't know many people (outside of my parents and some of my wife's relatives) who are all-in on Trump the personality as the driving reason for their votes. A lot of those people obviously exist, but I don't really have any personal association with any of them.

Eh, those people like Trump. They just don't want to admit it because it's looked down upon in certain social circles. It gives them an out if he loses or does something terrible.

Even on the issues you mentioned, there isn't much difference in say Biden and Trump. Biden isn't targeting anyone's 2nd Amendment rights. He hasn't put up much of a fight on abortion. And he's perfectly fine with tax cuts for the rich. Outside of some social issues, the platforms of the two major parties are eerily similar.

Like I'd love to hear any of these people who "held their nose and voted for Trump" actually explain what issues forced them to vote for him over Biden. What in their life did they see changing with Biden in charge over Trump? You won't get a real answer. Just some vague bullshit about socialism or some other crap because they're too cowardly to just admit they like Trump.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 11:04 PM   #2935
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Their digital ad spending is way down and they don't even have field offices set up in important states. It's a big ad buy, but you have to wonder where all their money is going outside of TV spots.

I still get the idea that the family is just draining the coffers and banking on some rogue election officials not certifying the election and tossing it to SCOTUS. He's just not running a serious campaign.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 03:19 AM   #2936
GrantDawg

They did reopen offices in Georgia just this week. Not saying the family isn't grifting, because they obviously are, but they have started actually spending money on the campaign.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-10-2024 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2024, 03:31 AM   #2937
GrantDawg

Trump tells a story of a helicopter crash that nearly killed him and that Willie Brown was on the helicopter and told him terrible stories about Kamala Harris. The New York times writes a story debunking the claim, with Willi Brown denying it ever happened. Trump, as per his usual, is threatening to sue for slander saying he has proof. Then a Los Angels city councilman has come out saying that it was actually him. He commented, "I guess we all look alike."

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-10-2024 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-10-2024, 05:06 AM   #2938
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Trump tells a story of a helicopter crash that nearly killed him and that Willie Brown was on the helicopter and told him terrible stories about Kamala Harris. The New York times writes a story debunking the claim, with Willi Brown denying it ever happened. Trump, as per his usual, is threatening to sue for slander saying he has proof. The a Los Angels city councilman has come out saying that it was actually him. He commented, "I guess we all look alike."

Just a moment...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 06:36 AM   #2939
Ksyrup

Yeah and it was around 35 years ago. I'm sure Kamala Harris was a big topic of discussion.
Old 08-10-2024, 09:04 AM   #2940
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah, at the time, she was graduating from UC Hastings law school, where she was President of... wait for it... the Black Law Students Association.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 10:18 AM   #2941
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Doubling down on the helicopter story despite the person he is claiming to have been on the helicopter with saying it never happened.

Old 08-10-2024, 11:07 AM   #2942
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
I'd love to hear any of these people who "held their nose and voted for Trump" actually explain what issues forced them to vote for him over Biden. What in their life did they see changing with Biden in charge over Trump? You won't get a real answer. Just some vague bullshit about socialism or some other crap because they're too cowardly to just admit they like Trump.

Unfortunately this veers back into presumption. I personally worked with people who chosen Trump over Biden at the last moment before the election and did so specifically due to the gun issue, based on things Biden actually said and proposed. It's every bit as much a real answer as you get from many voters in many campaigns, which often just comes down to feel rather than anything substantive (i.e. voting for incumbents when the economy is good irrespective of any actual economic policies contributing to that, one candidate or another just 'connecting' better, and so on)
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 11:17 AM   #2943
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
"Mr. Trump dismissed out of hand donors’ suggestions that he replace Mr. Vance on the ticket," the Times is reporting before adding that at a separate donor meeting one participant "asked about Democrats trying to paint the Republican ticket as 'weird."

According to sources, the former president replied, "Not about me. They’re saying that about JD.”

lol
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 11:22 AM   #2944
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Unfortunately this veers back into presumption. I personally worked with people who chosen Trump over Biden at the last moment before the election and did so specifically due to the gun issue, based on things Biden actually said and proposed. It's every bit as much a real answer as you get from many voters in many campaigns, which often just comes down to feel rather than anything substantive (i.e. voting for incumbents when the economy is good irrespective of any actual economic policies contributing to that, one candidate or another just 'connecting' better, and so on)

Then they're idiots and liars because Biden's gun policy has been known for longer than the last moments before an election. Maybe they don't realize they're lying, but they are
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 11:38 AM   #2945
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Doubling down on the helicopter story despite the person he is claiming to have been on the helicopter with saying it never happened.

This is the real story though. Good line in there.

The other Black politician who says he was with Trump in that near-fatal chopper crash

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 12:28 PM   #2946
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Then they're idiots and liars because Biden's gun policy has been known for longer than the last moments before an election. Maybe they don't realize they're lying, but they are

There is definitely a contigent who likes to act outwardly that they begrudgingly vote Trump due to some nitpick about the other candidate but deep down they really do like him and how he lets them feel ok to be racist, sexist, etc..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 01:09 PM   #2947
PilotMan
Head Coach

The primary rationalization I see when you point out the major flaws trump has is, "They're all the same. I hate them all. They do the same thing trump does. He's no worse. Biden lies. Harris lies. You can't trust anything any of them say," so no matter the flaws he has, or the words he's spoken there's always a qualifier that makes it ok.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 02:10 PM   #2948
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
So who is "Melvin" voting for this year?

I was wondering this too. I guess it's nice that Melvin and others aren't racist -- that's a lot more than can be said about a lot of folks. But is the court thing fixed -- was it mostly about abortion -- or do they still have to work on other "traditional family" issues (limiting rights of women, taking away rights of LBGTQ+, establishing that sex outside of marriage -- and much inside marriage -- is not to be done)? Among the other things flere pointed out (dismembering public education, etc).
Old 08-10-2024, 02:16 PM   #2949
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Eh, those people like Trump. They just don't want to admit it because it's looked down upon in certain social circles. It gives them an out if he loses or does something terrible.

Even on the issues you mentioned, there isn't much difference in say Biden and Trump. Biden isn't targeting anyone's 2nd Amendment rights. He hasn't put up much of a fight on abortion. And he's perfectly fine with tax cuts for the rich. Outside of some social issues, the platforms of the two major parties are eerily similar.

Like I'd love to hear any of these people who "held their nose and voted for Trump" actually explain what issues forced them to vote for him over Biden. What in their life did they see changing with Biden in charge over Trump? You won't get a real answer. Just some vague bullshit about socialism or some other crap because they're too cowardly to just admit they like Trump.

There are some people who view economic/tax policy as their single issue. Some people just don't care about the bigger picture. They just want what benefits them. They'd prefer someone other than Trump but whatever he does to others is not going to affect them. They just want the benefit of what comes from GOP in power. And there's a decent group of people for whom that's an economic issue, not culture war or religion or immigration.
Old 08-10-2024, 02:53 PM   #2950
Atocep
Coordinator

Truth social had just $835k in revenue last quarter and lost $16 million.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote