Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2003, 01:40 PM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Running out of interesting games

Is it just me or are games just the same over and over? I'm actually running out of games to play. Now this could be for several reasons.

1. I'm finally acting my age.

2. There are no new and interesting games out there.

3. I've played my old games to death.

For whatever reason I've still yet to get into FOF4. For one who played a ton, and I mean a ton, of years in FOF 2001 I'm not sure of the reason. Maybe it's the interface, maybe it's the fact that I had to keep waiting for patches to make the game playable and lost interest, and maybe I just played myself out with FOF 2001.

I've been playing a lot of Madden 2003 but I'm getting to the point of having played that out. Although interesting at first I gave up on DS after a while. NHL 2003 is just not interesting me. I loved MTW but have sorta played that out as well, although I do have some interest in going back and learning how to do battles a lot better. I've also developed some interest in Combat Mission, a game I've had for a while but never really played. I played through all single player missions, plus the campaigns in OFP. NWN or Morrowind just don't interest me. I can't play FPS games any more (they make me physically ill) and find them boring after a while in any case. I won't do MMORPG because I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for a game.

What it comes down to is the game I'm actually most interested in at this point is my favorite game of all time, and that's Brood War, and that game is from 1998. Sad I guess I'll try OOTP5 when that comes out but that's still a way off. Anyone else feeling the gaming blues? Is there anything out there that's really different? Or is age finally taking its toll on me.

Tarkus

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I've felt the same way but, for a longer period of time. The last game that caught my attention was Hearts of Iron but, I just couldn't get into it. Seemed more an exercise in micromanagement than anything else.. I've been reverting back to old games and playing those although, Neverwinter Nights has been the most enjoyable for me in the last year.

I've found myself going back to actual board games for my gaming amusement. Just seems that everything being done right now has been done or overdone... blah...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:51 PM   #3
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang
I've felt the same way but, for a longer period of time. The last game that caught my attention was Hearts of Iron but, I just couldn't get into it. Seemed more an exercise in micromanagement than anything else.. I've been reverting back to old games and playing those although, Neverwinter Nights has been the most enjoyable for me in the last year.

I've found myself going back to actual board games for my gaming amusement. Just seems that everything being done right now has been done or overdone... blah...

I tried Hearts too, and boy, what a travesty. It just wasn't fun to play.

I want to get back into Morrowwind but a game like that needs plenty of free time, every time you leave it, it gets harder to get back into it...

I play Battlefield 1942 because it's quick and I don't need to think to play it, but there are a lot of morons or children playing it, because you need team effort to win and there just isn't...I remember a board where planes are available, half the team hung out at the hangers!!! and we got boxed in by armor and blown to pieces, still these idiots were trying to get into planes and fly off...I avoid those maps...sadly you know which sides will have the advantage on most maps now...I would love to get the addon, but I fear that I'm just going to be stuck in the same situation again...
I've been recruited by a few clans but I don't have the time to wait for a tournament...

I'm hoping things change, but I'm afraid you can never go home again...so to speak
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

There is a lack of innovation in game design, Tarkus, and much of it has to go down to the commercial success of games. The marketing departments have far more influence over game design that they had in the past.

Innovation is commercially risky and marketing departments like to avoid it like the plague. Innovation is down to the independant designer and games are getting too big for the independant designers these days.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 01-26-2003 at 07:26 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:23 PM   #5
Thoroughcard
n00b

Completely Agree

Games all just seem so linear to me nowadays. I do like the massive multiplayer idea, though Ultima is the only one I've played, at least that offers the variety of acting with and against humans. The one game that seems very interesting to me is a game that was called Project Ego, I know it has a new name know but can't think of it. It seems to be non-linear and looks very interesting. Aside from that most games are just the same old thing.

The future of gaming to me does seem to lie in the massive multiplayer genre as it offers very non linear gameplay and actual intelligent opponents, and allies.
Thoroughcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

"maybe it's the fact that I had to keep waiting for patches to make the game playable and lost interest"

#1 reason I don't play TDCB. I just lost interest when I waited for the patches...dunno.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
mrushh
High School Varsity

What do you mean, acting your age? I am old as hell, and I play games almost everyday. Acting your age is all relative. Playing games IS for the young...OR the young at heart.

BTW, Morrowind is as UNlinear as you will ever find. I LOVED it. Roaming around doing whatever I wanted, very fast, I might add, with the Boots of Blinding Speed, and coming back to the main storyline as I saw fit, or when IN TOWN... It was a GREAT game...at least for an Ancient Mariner such as myself.

MMORPG
Old 01-26-2003, 09:27 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

I've felt them.

I haven't opened FOF4 in a while. I'm waiting for TDCB 1.20(coach history) before getting serious. The only game I still open a lot is OOTP, but that's mostly for online leagues.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:58 PM   #9
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I bought Sim City 4 but havent played it in a while because of its buggy nature and lack of 4 lane roads .
Old 01-26-2003, 10:37 PM   #10
Vince
Pro Starter

"I've felt them."

Shorty that's so sad...you're younger than I am. I think it's just a lull lately; not many good games have come out. I don't really keep track, but isn't this time of year notorious for a lack of creativity? After the holidays, before the summer...just a thought.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote