Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Anyone good with electronics/home entertainment setup?

I've exhausted all of my other resources. My girlfriend gifted me an entertainment system for Christmas this past year, and while I successfully hooked up the surround sound speakers and bluetooth and all of that, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it connected to my SmartTV.

On the pictures below, I've shown what I'm working with. I believe I need to use the optical port on my TV to connect to the AUX area on the receiver. The optical port on the receiver is reserved for the DVD player. I've tried an Optical to RCA converter but it didn't do anything.

This area is not at all a skill of mine so forgive me if I explained everything poorly, but I can provide more information if anyone has questions.

I would appreciate some help as currently thing this isn't getting hardly any use.

TV back

Amp back

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Doesn't look like the receiver has any HDMI on it. The receiver needs to be the hub, with the various HDMI inputs coming into it (cable box, bluray, video game, etx), and then there is an HDMI out that connects to the TV.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-17-2021 at 01:00 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
MCK
n00b

I think this option would work, don't know if it is the best though

Get an HDMI Converter
Plug the red, yellow, and white cables from your equipment into the little HDMI connector box
Connect the HDMI cable into the converter box
Plug it into the HDMI port of your TV or receiver
Old 03-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Does the TV have Bluetooth? That looks like the optimal way to connect.

cartman's right, it's bizarre that there are no HDMI ports.

Last edited by JPhillips : 03-17-2021 at 01:10 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

In looking at another picture, is there an HDMI on the front?
Old 03-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

I can't imagine why they would sell a modern system without HDMI hookups. Was it bought new?

Last edited by Kodos : 03-17-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
dola

In looking at another picture, is there an HDMI on the front?

No
Old 03-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I can't imagine why they would sell a modern system without HDMI hookups. Was it bought new?

Sure was, my girlfriend tried her best, but she obviously wanted to get a deal.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

So walk me through if I get an HDMI converter, then the red yellow white ends would go in FL, FR and VIDEO or AUX (both) and VIDEO, then the other end goes in the converter, then the other end of the converter gets an HDMI cord which connects to HDMI2 or HDMI (ARC)?

I have limited understanding of HDMI here, as I thought it was video input, so not sure how it would instantly give sound to my regular setup. Thanks, this is hard.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A converter is going to limit the quality of the picture. The best RCA/composite plugs can do is 720p, so no 1080p or 4k if you go that route.

HDMI carries both video and audio in the same cable.

Last edited by cartman : 03-17-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

I have limited understanding of HDMI here, as I thought it was video input, so not sure how it would instantly give sound to my regular setup. Thanks, this is hard.

HDMI includes sound as well.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
A converter is going to limit the quality of the picture. The best RCA/composite plugs can do is 720p, so no 1080p or 4k if you go that route.

HDMI carries both video and audio in the same cable.

I guess then I'm trying to understand why this would affect the picture at all? I'm not using HDMI with my Smart TV, everything is just on the screen already. I know that sounds extremely stupid. I don't know a better way to explain that. I only use HDMI to connect the playstation, but if I'm watching cable (youttubetv) or any streaming service, it's not necessary. So that would be the ARC HDMI slot? That's an audio output?
Old 03-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #13
korme
Go Reds

And if the converter is going to limit quality, do I have any other options?
Old 03-17-2021, 01:50 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. It is way to have the audio from the TV fed back to a receiver that supports ARC and have the receiver handle the sound, not the TV. Without any HDMI on the receiver, you are indeed very limited on your options.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #15
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Unfortunately it looks like that receiver is strictly for audio.

If you want to hook it up to your TV, I'd suggest you return this one and get a different model. Honestly, you can probably buy a used one online pretty cheap that has HDMI, lots of people sell their older models whenever a new feature comes out. I sold my receiver for $150, and the only reason the guy bought it was because his remote broke and he needed a new one.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #16
Mota
College Benchwarmer

If you're just looking at outputting the audio from your smart TV to your receiver, you could use this:
Sorry! Something went wrong!
It's an optical to RCA adapter. You'd actually need the RCA cables as well. Most people have a set of those sticking around in a cabinet somewhere. Then you'd plug it into your AUX input.
If you ever want to hook up an Apple TV or a PS5 into that setup though, it wouldn't work. You'd need a received with HDMI for sure.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #17
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
If you're just looking at outputting the audio from your smart TV to your receiver, you could use this:
It's an optical to RCA adapter. You'd actually need the RCA cables as well. Most people have a set of those sticking around in a cabinet somewhere. Then you'd plug it into your AUX input.
If you ever want to hook up an Apple TV or a PS5 into that setup though, it wouldn't work. You'd need a received with HDMI for sure.

Bought one of those last week, no dice. I think I may be out of luck.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:53 PM   #18
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This may end with poor quality sound, but you could use a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the headphone jack of the TV and connect to the amp via Bluetooth.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:51 PM   #19
spleen1015
Coordinator

You mentioned optical on the receiver is reserved for the DVD player.

How about hooking up the DVD player to the tv via HDMI and then the tv to the receiver with the optical. Will the optical also pick up the DVD audio through the tv?

It has been almost 20 years since I cared about something like this, so I don't know much about current tech. Just a stab in the dark.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:30 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think that's the only option. DVD to TV (use HDMI) and then optical from TV to the reciever.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2021, 01:19 PM   #21
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

How about hooking up the DVD player to the tv via HDMI and then the tv to the receiver with the optical. Will the optical also pick up the DVD audio through the tv?

It has been almost 20 years since I cared about something like this, so I don't know much about current tech. Just a stab in the dark.

It seems to be an optical OUT, not in. The only IN on the receiver is the RCA connectors.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #22
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Dvd player built into the receiver. I don't own a dvd player anymore lol
Old 03-19-2021, 07:00 PM   #23
korme
Go Reds

I think I've resigned myself to passively telling my SO we have to sell my Christmas gift and get something very similar! She's not one one for tech.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #24
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm still not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but there is an HD output on that receiver/DVD player, it's the component RCA connections that are green & blue & orange, labeled Y Pb/Cb Pb/Cr.

To get the receiver/DVD player to input into your TV you would need an HDMI/Component converter like below, connecting those component outputs & the audio outputs (labeled FL & FR) to the converter, and then HDMI from the converter to your TV input:

To get the audio from your TV into the receiver you would have to use a 3.5mm to RCA converter & plug the 3.5mm jack into your TVs headphone out & the RCAs into the receiver's AUX inputs:

...having written all that out, neither of those solutions are that great & could result in further issues or just plain crappy sound/video & you might be right that you're better off just spending that time & money on a replacement.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-19-2021 at 07:47 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote