Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Marvin Hagler RIP

Oh damn. I grew watching all his fights and he was a local hero from back in Boston. He was top two greatest of all time middleweights. He was only 66 geez. RIP.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...-says-2303096/

Last edited by Galaril : 03-13-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

1st round, Hagler-Hearns, quite likely the single greatest round in pro boxing history.

Rest in peace.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #3
Edward64
Head Coach

Hagler-Hearns was great. I leaned towards Hearns because "hitman" was a cool name but kinda knew that Hagler was bigger and had the advantage.

Here's the first round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL2a2-8OHdg

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-13-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #4
Galaril
Pro Starter

He had a decent retirement relocating to Italy of all places marrying an actress and doing some movies there. He eventually became a citizen eventually.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-13-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

What a great era of boxing. That weight class was loaded.

RIP

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:48 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dang. He seemed like he was the champ for my entire childhood.

RIP
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

He was my favorite. Always the guy I wanted to be when I was shadow boxing as a kid. He was the king of the Middleweight division at a time when it was incredible. RIP Champ.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:36 PM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
1st round, Hagler-Hearns, quite likely the single greatest round in pro boxing history.

Rest in peace.

Just watched it again. I don't think there was ever anything like it. Both guys left everything in the ring.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:44 PM   #9
pantera
n00b

I was a senior in college in 1984-85. I worked at a restaurant that Marvin visited several times a year. One night there was a Lionel Richie concert that he attended. Marvin arrived at our restaurant afterward, and my boss told me to just stand by his table and keep autograph hounds away from him, his wife, his brother Robbie and his brother's wife. They stayed for about 3 hours eating dinner and later having drinks in the lounge with the staff. I had the opportunity to speak off and on with him the whole night. When the night was finished he gave me a $50 tip basically for standing there, and also gave me his autograph. When he left --- I kid you not!!! --- he drove his family away in a brand new Cadillac that had an artistic rendition of a championship belt on the door, similar to how you see a badge on a police car door. He was a very nice, very kind man with a big smile on his face for anyone who knew him. Everyone at our restaurant loved the guy. We lost a great one today. A Marvelous one. RIP.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:19 AM   #10
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
I was a senior in college in 1984-85. I worked at a restaurant that Marvin visited several times a year. One night there was a Lionel Richie concert that he attended. Marvin arrived at our restaurant afterward, and my boss told me to just stand by his table and keep autograph hounds away from him, his wife, his brother Robbie and his brother's wife. They stayed for about 3 hours eating dinner and later having drinks in the lounge with the staff. I had the opportunity to speak off and on with him the whole night. When the night was finished he gave me a $50 tip basically for standing there, and also gave me his autograph. When he left --- I kid you not!!! --- he drove his family away in a brand new Cadillac that had an artistic rendition of a championship belt on the door, similar to how you see a badge on a police car door. He was a very nice, very kind man with a big smile on his face for anyone who knew him. Everyone at our restaurant loved the guy. We lost a great one today. A Marvelous one. RIP.

Thanks for sharing this. He was one of my few childhood sports idols along with Earl Campbell, and Fred Lynn. It is great to hear a story from someone I trust that what we believed he was like he was genuinely a nice guy.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:49 AM   #11
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
He had a decent retirement relocating to Italy of all places marrying an actress and doing some movies there. He eventually became a citizen eventually.

I need to watch one of those Italian Marvin Hagler action movies I've been hearing about for decades.

I was wondering if he was still out there, but I guess at some point he came back to New England, and lived in New Hampshire, in the same county as my old summer camp, and where my sister lives now. I would have lost my shit if I ever ran into Marvin Hagler there.

Leonard/Hagler was one of my first sports memories. That was massive.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

We were out of town over the weekend and I heard late last night. Still kind of numb, he was one of those guys that you just thought was invincible.

As arguably the biggest boxing aficionado on the board this one hurts. One of the top 3 MW's of all time and round 1 of "The War" is the definition of epic.

R.I.P
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #13
Galaril
Pro Starter

Also am boxing fan and boxed some when I was younger in the military. Yes that fight was epic I just rewatched it. I have almost all of Haglers fights on DVD over 45 of the. And enjoy watching his fights.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:06 PM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

My wife just humored me and watched that round with me, because she knew I was bummed. At the end, she just said wow and gave me a hug

I had quit boxing when I joined the military a few years earlier, but that fight really made me wish I had'nt.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-14-2021 at 06:06 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #15
miami_fan
Coordinator

The first round of Hagler v. Hearns is the standard to which all boxing is judged for me.

RIP to the Marvelous One.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Such classic bouts. He was Marvelous, all right. RIP, champ.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:42 AM   #17
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

RIP Champ.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:44 AM   #18
angelmarco
n00b

Unhappy

RIP Champ