Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2003, 06:15 PM   #1
castorius
n00b

FOF2k4: Restricted Free Agents (RFA) Bug

I recall there being a problem with restricted free agents, I was wondering if it has been addressed. Right now, I believe all Restricted Free Agents tag does is make sure that your player can't get signed by other teams during the free agent period (so you get first crack until the end of training camp). That's fine, but then it was mentioned (and I found out myself) that some Restricted Free Agents actually get released in the free agent period. Which gives me the opportunity to sign them. I heard that you can sign your opponents' Restricted Free Agents, and they never try to match it. What's even worse is, the computer GMs make no attempt to ever sign your Restricted Free Agents even if they are released in the free agent period. This gives the human player an advantage (we can sign their Restricted Free Agents, but they can't sign ours). There is no mechanism for giving any compensation for Restricted Free Agents that I heard of, so isn't this a bug? And has Jim heard about it?

castorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:03 PM   #2
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

According to Jim, there are really no restricted FA in FOF as it pertains to NFL rules. Meaning that the matching offer isn't in the game. All it means is that anyone with less than 4 years of service can not be signed by any other team until after training camp. Unless they are released.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:15 PM   #3
castorius
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinFan1
According to Jim, there are really no restricted FA in FOF as it pertains to NFL rules. Meaning that the matching offer isn't in the game. All it means is that anyone with less than 4 years of service can not be signed by any other team until after training camp. Unless they are released.

So what's the purpose of having the Restricted Free Agents designation for players who have more than 4 years experience? Some players do have the "Restricted Free Agents designation" and are still actively released into the Free Agent Pool. Is this just an error?

And wasn't there a problem with the Computer GMs not signing these players? (Restricted Free Agents released into the Free Agent Pool)
Old 12-14-2003, 09:35 PM   #4
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

I think in the game all it means is this. UFA are players with more than 4 years in the league. Anyone can sign them in FA.

RFA are less than 4 years in the league. Only the team that has them on the roster may sign them until training camp passes. Then anyone can sign them. Sometimes the computer releases RFA's they don't want. That's all I know. Sorry I couldn't help more.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:41 PM   #5
castorius
n00b

Ok I figured out the problem.

These designated "Restricted Free Agents" who are released into the Free Agent Pool all have 4 years of experience or less (there are no RFAs with over 4 years of experience). The reason they are in the Free Agent Pool is because they have been released by their teams. I guess it was a small bug or mistake that left the RFA tag on them even though they are officially a "Unrestricted Free Agent". That's just a cosmetic bug.

The big problem comes up when you "the HUMAN GM" release one of your players into the free agent pool. The computer GMs never seem to pick them up no matter how good they are. I've release Torry Holt (more than 4 years of experience, listed as a UFA), Kris Jenkins (4 years or less), Clinton Portis (less than 4 years), Jeremy Shockey (less than 4 years) into the Free Agent Pool, and none of them are ever picked up after 20 stages. Its as if the computer GMs can't see them (but they are in the Free Agent Pool).

Furthermore, the computer GMs don't seem to bid on the free agents who have 4 years of experience or less until after the 5th or 6th stage of free agency. Its like its a bug in the program that thinks that they can't bid on them because they are designated as RFA (restricted free agents) even if they are not really (they've been released thus making them unrestricted free agents).

So two big problems:
1) Computer GMs never pick up players I release.
2) Computer GMs don't bid on free agents who have 4 years experience or less till the later rounds.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:25 AM   #6
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Hmm, I haven't noticed this. If you think this is a problem maybe you could send this to Jim and he could look it over.