Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

2018 Oscars

Not a big Oscars fan with all the west & east coast elite strutting around and making political statements.

Hard to top last year's major fail but what the heck, will watch some and then switch over to The Walking Dead.

The major categories are:

Oscars 2018: Final Predictions in All 24 Academy Categories – Variety

Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I don’t get much into Hollywood expressing liberal views or stuff like that because they are just as free to their opinion as I am. (And have a much larger following). The metoo stuff also seems like a reasonable cause but for fucks sake these hypocrites are going to talk gun voilence and act like they don’t understand America’s fascination with guns? But I’m wearing an orange pin!!!!

Last edited by panerd : 03-04-2018 at 07:59 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Cannot argue Dunkirk for the sound award, from very early on I thought the sound was super critical in that movie. I found that movie tense as hell.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Kobe Bryant: Oscar Winner
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Kobe Bryant has just won an Oscar!
#apolocypsecontinues
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #6
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Nothing wrong with Shape of Water but it's barely in my top 10 for the year. Weird how many really good movies just get ignored and an above average film like that can carry so much momentum.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:07 AM   #7
Suicane75
Coordinator

I've seen Get Out, Shape Of Water, Darkest Hour and 3 Billboards and the only movie I thought might be better than SOW was Wind River, which didn't even get any noms.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #8
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Kobe Bryant: Oscar Winner

Imagine you are also nominated, look through your competitors and see that not only are you up against Kobe's farewell story, but he also has John Williams write him the music and a former Disney heavyweight (drawing Arielle und Aladdin among others) doing the artwork/directing. Good luck with that

Cool little film in any case: "Dear Basketball" - Film - Subtitulado on Vimeo
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kobe Bryant - 1; Roman Polanski - 1

In more than a few ways
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Surprised that "known" actors/directors don't try to snipe the short film category Oscars each year. Seems like an easy way to maybe steal 1-2 wins in a decade.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #11
Johnny93g
College Starter

Loved Eddie Vedder singing Room at the Top for in memoriam. Saw some people complain that Tom Petty wasn't shown in the actual montage, but Vedder is singing his song, that's good enough for me.

Fine with Shape of Water winning. It's not in my top 10, but i certainly enjoyed the movie, and feel i will be able to go back to it for more viewings. I can see why some people loved it.

Very happy for Sam Rockwell, as he's one of my favourite actors.

I also think Jimmy Kimmel is an excellent host. The only thing i don't like about him hosting is he can't do his own oscar show he used to do the night of the oscars. I always enjoyed those.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I also think Jimmy Kimmel is an excellent host. The only thing i don't like about him hosting is he can't do his own oscar show he used to do the night of the oscars. I always enjoyed those.

Yes, I like Kimmel also.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Personal Shopper was the best movie I saw last year. Marjorie Prime was terrific too. Not sure how neither were up for Best Picture.

From a comedy standpoint, I though I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore was much better than Lady Bird. Although it didn't have the social justice thing going for it and there is probably still a bias against Netflix.

Most underrated movie is The Lost City of Z. Not sure if it's because it's just the guy from Sons of Anarchy in the role or what but it's a terrific movie.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
From a comedy standpoint, I though I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore was much better than Lady Bird. Although it didn't have the social justice thing going for it and there is probably still a bias against Netflix.

Films have to premiere for at least one week in NY or LA to be eligible for an Oscar. Films that premiere on Netflix could be eligible for the Emmys, but not the Oscars.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Personal Shopper was the best movie I saw last year. Marjorie Prime was terrific too. Not sure how neither were up for Best Picture.

Most underrated movie is The Lost City of Z. Not sure if it's because it's just the guy from Sons of Anarchy in the role or what but it's a terrific movie.

I'll second the Lost City of Z love. I think the pacing was too slow for serious appreciation, but I loved it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #16
korme
Go Reds

Dear Basketball was the worst short I saw. Lakers bias was strong!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #17
FBPro
College Starter

#dontwatchdontcare....
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #18
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Dear Basketball was the worst short I saw. Lakers bias was strong!

Yea. I haven't seen everything, but I've seen a lot of the noms this year, and Dear Basketball was one of the weakest noms BY FAR in my opinion
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #19
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Kimmel was great! Finally brought back comedy to the oscars
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I've seen Get Out, Shape Of Water, Darkest Hour and 3 Billboards and the only movie I thought might be better than SOW was Wind River, which didn't even get any noms.

Wind River was solid
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Loved Eddie Vedder singing Room at the Top for in memoriam. Saw some people complain that Tom Petty wasn't shown in the actual montage, but Vedder is singing his song, that's good enough for me.

I doubt Petty was a member of the Academy, so it would have been inappropriate for him to be shown in the In Memoriam segment.

Quote:
I also think Jimmy Kimmel is an excellent host.

Agreed. Very well done back to back Oscars hosting.

I liked Shape of Water a lot. At the time I thought it was good, not great, but I'm cool with a genre fiction movie winning. That doesn't happen often. I think this is the second fantasy movie ever to win Best Picture (after Lord of the Rings: Return of the King), which makes the victory worthwhile IMO. I probably enjoyed Get Out more, but Shape of Water was the better film. Though I have not seen (I've been lax this year) Three Billboards or Lady Bird.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #22
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
#dontwatchdontcare....

#metoo...
Old 03-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #23
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I doubt Petty was a member of the Academy, so it would have been inappropriate for him to be shown in the In Memoriam segment.

He played himself in Kevin Costner’s The Postman. It doesn’t get better than that.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote