Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

Review My Bill Phone savings plan

Holy smokes.

I was watching the news last night and they did a story on this guy and his new start up company.
He worked in the cell phone business for years and someone asked him about savings. This gave him an idea.

He said there are hundreds of plans that the phone companies do not share with us. But he knows the codes because he was an insider. He said that companies only offer a few bills.

So I went to the site and had them review my plan.All you enter is the name on the account, the phone number, and how many are on the plan.

Bang. 60 seconds later i found I can save over $900 a year.

How does this make money? They get half the savings for 12 months. It says I will save $74.24 a month, they get half that.

I signed us up.

Here is the link if interested

www.reviewmybill.com

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

intrigued but skeptical
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

We will find out on our next bill. I will give an update.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Been around for a while. Mostly the savings come from nothing magical ("codes" or whatever), just from analyzing your bill and cutting back your limits here & there. Here's a 2014 article

Website claims to cut your cell phone bill and save you money | FOX31 Denver

And another from 2010 ... which noted (in an incomplete test case) that the company used to claim 33% of the savings. That suggests that the savings are shrinking vs what they used to be.
Perseverance, and a bit of research, can lower your cell phone bill - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
Old 11-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Yup,

The savings come from being on the right plan for you and your family, cutting needless things(like insurance on a phone worth $100), and using military/work discounts. Sometimes you are grandfathered into discounts you dont even know about. Its about asking questions when talking to a cell phone rep.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-13-2017 at 09:14 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
tarcone
Coordinator

I dont know about all that stuff.

The site said we would save 74 a month. Thats a big chunk. We will try it out and hope for the best.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:25 AM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cricket 5 4GB lines are $100/month for everything. It's literally AT&T. No fees
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I went to the site and entered my info and got around $500 a year but didn't go any further yet. My question is did they find this with my current carrier or is this just switching to Cricket or Sprint? I mean I could probably save $1000 switching to Sprint, just wouldn't have a phone that works in my house or my hometown. If it's just AT&T it at least has me thinking what is going on. The only thing I think I can change is my data plan the rest is pretty standard. Would pay the guy $20 a month to save me $20 a month depending on the fine print.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I went to the site and entered my info and got around $500 a year but didn't go any further yet. My question is did they find this with my current carrier or is this just switching to Cricket or Sprint? I mean I could probably save $1000 switching to Sprint, just wouldn't have a phone that works in my house or my hometown. If it's just AT&T it at least has me thinking what is going on. The only thing I think I can change is my data plan the rest is pretty standard. Would pay the guy $20 a month to save me $20 a month depending on the fine print.

The site says "same carrier" for what that's worth.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #10
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I swapped to Google Fi as my carrier/network and I pay about $50 per month for 3-4 GB. $20 in fees, $10/GB, no overages based on "plan." So if I use 2.1 GB in November, my December bill will be $41. If I use 8.5 GB, it'll be $105.

The only major drawback is cost of entry - there's no contract or anything, so I had to pay outright for my own phone (Nexus 6P was $600 when I got it). Can't speak for the coverage much - I live and work in the heart of silicon valley, so I have no network coverage issues.

That being said, the switch has been amazing - saving upwards of $50 per month.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #11
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
The site says "same carrier" for what that's worth.

Yeah it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We basically have the standard deal with 3 GB of data for $90. The site says it can save us $40 a month for two lines. Don't know what I am missing?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm guessing they tell you to drop insurance and do a slight data plan downgrade. But, my wife and I both have an Iphone 7 and have the insurance. She's already had to get a new phone due to an issue and I had to use it for my last phone. We keep it on (about $100 a year) because we have kids and buying a new 7 would cost over $500. When we both used it, Verizon shipped us a new phone, we synced it and mailed the old one back. My deductible was $50 and my wife's was free (deemed not due to damage). Had we not had it, we would have had to pay atleast $500 each to get a new one.

Their site said they would save me $39 a month. I'm guessing most of that is dropping insurance. I will be interested in seeing how it works with tarcone.

Last edited by Arles : 11-14-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #13
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Something doesnt seem exactly right with this.

I am a Verizon employee getting an employee plan with a discounted price already and it is telling me I can save $157.44 per month for my 8 line unlimited plan.

I know the special discounts and how to get them to apply so I have no idea how this company could possibly cut 157.44 off my already discounted plan.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #14
tarcone
Coordinator

Not sure. The guy was an insider as well. He was saying on the news that there were a ton of discounted plans. And that companies only offer a few.

If we get killed I will be sure to say something. If it works I will as well.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Not sure. The guy was an insider as well. He was saying on the news that there were a ton of discounted plans. And that companies only offer a few.

If we get killed I will be sure to say something. If it works I will as well.

Id basically have a 130 dollar bill with 8 devices on an unlimited plan with device payments on 1 Iphone 7+ and a couple phones still paying the contract line fee until they are out of contract. Also insuring the 8 devices for 33 month. Just doesnt seem possible even on the smallest data plan without insurance.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-14-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wait is this some Clark Howard bullshit?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Something doesnt seem exactly right with this.

I am a Verizon employee getting an employee plan with a discounted price already and it is telling me I can save $157.44 per month for my 8 line unlimited plan.

I know the special discounts and how to get them to apply so I have no idea how this company could possibly cut 157.44 off my already discounted plan.

I got the exact same number (157.44) for an account with Sprint (8 lines, discount through my employer)
Old 11-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Maybe these guys are basically buying up larger plans (like you would for a large corporate account), bundling random people together under these plans, and hoping the individual plans don't actually use enough data/time/whatever which leaves enough excess over to cover the other users?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #19
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Any update yet?
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote