Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2017, 01:23 AM   #501
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Even removing the rest of the league from the equation Matt Stafford is easily the most talented player on the Lions, and the best QB the Lions have had in 60 years, and letting him walk away was probably never an option.

I like to think Stafford is at least flirting with being a top 10 QB...and perhaps even has potential to be top 5...but they've never had a rushing ranking in the top half of the league since he's been there, and I think it's been 50+ games since the Lions last had a back break 100 yards, and that's not even considering their D. Conceivably, I guess Stafford's $27MM a year could eat into the ability to build that team around him and sabotage himself in the effort, but the Lions biggest struggles with attracting and signing the best talent usually doesn't have much to do with money.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #502
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Eh. Something about fining a guy about 800k or so for a hit in a preseason game doesn't sit right with me.

Agreed that Mitchell is a POS Julio and he makes it hard to root for the Steelers.

You don't want the fines, stop making questionable hits.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #503
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
5 years at around $27 million per year. This makes Matthew Stafford the highest paid player in NFL history, until the next QB signs his deal, which could be Kirk Cousins. That's just how these things work.

Yup. Lots of folks on twitter saying that's too much money. But anytime an under-30 starting QB signs an extension, it's going to be for "too much money." Just the way the highly artificial NFL market works.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #504
QuikSand
lolzcat

Why do we say the market is artificial? If Matthew Stafford were to walk into free agency, what kind of money would he be offered in the open "free" market from multiple competitive teams?

I understand that sports salaries always fail the comparison test (..."how many firefighters..." and so forth) but given the importance of the position and the true scarcity of competence there at the level required to be competitive... can we really say $30m is too much? Can we lay this at the feet of a flawed market?
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #505
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
The Lions finally signed Stafford to his extension.

5 years at around $27 million per year. This makes Matthew Stafford the highest paid player in NFL history, until the next QB signs his deal, which could be Kirk Cousins. That's just how these things work.

Is Stafford worth this money? No, probably not. But, that being said, there wasn't much of an option here. The one opportunity to move Stafford was when Bob Quinn first took over at the end of the 2015 season. If he thought Stafford wasn't the answer, he could have tried to trade him when Stafford still had two years left on his contract.

Once Quinn kept him, it was clear he'd need to be resigned. Stafford isn't the greatest QB in the league, but he's likely a top 15 QB and it's not like the Lions have a great QB waiting in the wings and the draft is a total crap shoot. I'm fine sticking with Stafford and seeing where it goes. It won't likely be a Super Bowl and probably not even a playoff victory, but I'm very used to all of that.

It took 60 years to get a decent QB in Detroit. I'd rather not start searching for a new one again. Cleveland's been looking for 20 years, Chicago for 30.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:06 AM   #506
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stafford is certainly good enough to win a few playoff games with the correct pieces around him. I don't see how 27M is too much given the
Scarcity at the position. Probably 8-10 teams out there would kill for him. If the lions wanted to move on I think they could get in the neighborhood of 2 firsts and seconds for him(at least)
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #507
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Why do we say the market is artificial? If Matthew Stafford were to walk into free agency, what kind of money would he be offered in the open "free" market from multiple competitive teams?

I understand that sports salaries always fail the comparison test (..."how many firefighters..." and so forth) but given the importance of the position and the true scarcity of competence there at the level required to be competitive... can we really say $30m is too much? Can we lay this at the feet of a flawed market?

By "artificial," I was talking about the salary cap, minimum salaries, the need for a certain sized roster, etc.

The importance of QBs, combined with the NFL's hard cap, means that young QBs will always seem "overpaid" compared to other positions.

If the NFL had, say, baseball's model, then Stafford making $30 million a year wouldn't seem so high because J.J. Watt would probably be making $30 million a year, too.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #508
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
The Lions finally signed Stafford to his extension.

Is Stafford worth this money? No, probably not. But, that being said, there wasn't much of an option here. The one opportunity to move Stafford was when Bob Quinn first took over at the end of the 2015 season. If he thought Stafford wasn't the answer, he could have tried to trade him when Stafford still had two years left on his contract.

Once Quinn kept him, it was clear he'd need to be resigned. Stafford isn't the greatest QB in the league, but he's likely a top 15 QB and it's not like the Lions have a great QB waiting in the wings and the draft is a total crap shoot. I'm fine sticking with Stafford and seeing where it goes. It won't likely be a Super Bowl and probably not even a playoff victory, but I'm very used to all of that.

I feel like I could've written this about Andy Dalton and his last contract.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:29 AM   #509
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Haden is 100% this is an awesome move for the Steelers
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:22 PM   #510
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Random trivia from twitter:

What are the two days this season when every NFL team is scheduled to play?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #511
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Random trivia from twitter:

What are the two days this season when every NFL team is scheduled to play?

Last Sunday of the season and Christmas Eve?

Last edited by rjolley : 08-31-2017 at 01:31 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:30 PM   #512
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Last Sunday of the season and Christmas Eve?

Yes on last Sunday of the season.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #513
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'll just give the second one b/c I realized I mis-stated the question. The other answer is today.

I shouldn't have said "season" upon further reflection. Though "league year" or some other awkward phrase would have given it away.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:39 PM   #514
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Like the Ahmad Brooks signing for Green Bay. Every year this team goes into the season with oft-injured guys and no depth at one spot. Two years ago it was OL (killed us in the playoffs), last year it was CB (as seen in the Atlanta game) and this year it was OLB. GB let Pepper and Datone Jones walk and their only addition was a 4th round pick who needed foot surgery (and is on the PUP). I don't see how Ted thought going into the season with Nick Perry and Clay (neither of who ever get injured ) and no real backups was a good idea. Brooks should help, but GB needs to stop this practice of having no depth in a key spot - while having $15 mil in cap space left over.

Last edited by Arles : 08-31-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #515
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Irsay just said that Luck's arm is ok but he might not play because "it's in his head."

Shitty owners are just so shitty. Why the hell do you want to call out your QB? So he has less loyalty to your team? So his teammates start to doubt him? So future FAs know that you are an asshole that they might want to avoid?

When franchise owners die, the teams should be forced to be sold. The kid still gets the billion dollars from the team, but the fans have a better chance of a competent owner instead of just rolling the dice with the rich guy's kid. (But see Dan Snyder).

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-01-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #516
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When franchise owners die, the teams should be forced to be sold. The kid still gets the billion dollars from the team, but the fans have a better chance of a competent owner instead of just rolling the dice with the rich guy's kid.

That suggests that fans somehow have a "right" to competent ownership. That's really not the case.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #517
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That suggests that fans somehow have a "right" to competent ownership. That's really not the case.

You are totally right about that.

But the Saints' owner is a billion years old. And all of the possible heirs look like some degree of disaster already.

So I'm really just advocating for forcibly preventing people from having control of their estate so my favorite football team will be slightly less likely to suck in the future.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #518
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
When franchise owners die, the teams should be forced to be sold. The kid still gets the billion dollars from the team, but the fans have a better chance of a competent owner instead of just rolling the dice with the rich guy's kid. (But see Dan Snyder).
This is also referred to as Lakers Syndrome.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #519
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Before the Draft, I ranked the QBs this way:
1. Mahomes
2. Truibisky
3. (another I can't remember the name)
4. Watson
7. Kizer

While I still believe Mahomes was easily the best QB in the draft, it will be interesting to see how the others fare.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #520
bhlloy
Coordinator

Mahomes made some incredible throws last night. Bit of an up and down preseason overall but nothing unusual for a rookie. He's got a chance to be really special

Last edited by bhlloy : 09-01-2017 at 01:12 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #521
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
But when the games start to count, will Reid let him throw it more than 10 yards downfield?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #522
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Apparently the Browns have released Osweiler.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #523
Thomkal
Head Coach

Jets have traded Sheldon Richardson to Seattle for WR Kearse and a draft pick. At least now I can say I've heard of a Jets receiver.

Jets trade Sheldon Richardson to Seattle Seahawks - NFL.com

And yep on the Browns:

Browns release quarterback Brock Osweiler - NFL.com

Cards release RB Chris Johnson too
Old 09-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #524
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Is it worth putting up with the Irsays (whose dad was no better), Spanoses, Davises, etc. in order to keep the Maras and Rooneys? (Maybe the Hunts, too.)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-01-2017 at 04:59 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #525
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm pretty shocked the Pats didn't make that move for Richardson. Talented, troubled so cheap and a way to piss off Jets fans
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:35 AM   #526
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm pretty shocked the Pats didn't make that move for Richardson. Talented, troubled so cheap and a way to piss off Jets fans
Richardson has some real problems. We'll just take David Harris & be on our way.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #527
mckerney
Coordinator

Colts Acquire Quarterback Jacoby Brissett; Send Phillip Dorsett To Patriots
Quote:
The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Brissett, 24, is coming off perhaps one of the greatest preseason performances by a quarterback in NFL history on Thursday

Wonder if he'll get a banner.

Last edited by mckerney : 09-02-2017 at 02:20 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Osweiler back to DEN?

LMAO
Old 09-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #529
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Belichick always surprising on cut day... Figured they'd just keep Austin Carr after Edelman went down. Pats haven't had this much deep speed since at least 2008, if ever during Brady's tenure.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-02-2017 at 04:55 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #530
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, KC cuts CJ Spiller, who seemingly was having a resurgent preseason. It might be one of those cut-but-plan-to-re-sign deals to avoid his base salary becoming guaranteed, I guess... but that seems to even further inflate the stock of young Kareem Hunt for fantasy purposes. Sounds like they are gong to have him do it all.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #531
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Belichik sure looks like a guy planning to retire when Brady does. He's never played this short term before.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:07 PM   #532
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, KC cuts CJ Spiller, who seemingly was having a resurgent preseason. It might be one of those cut-but-plan-to-re-sign deals to avoid his base salary becoming guaranteed, I guess... but that seems to even further inflate the stock of young Kareem Hunt for fantasy purposes. Sounds like they are gong to have him do it all.

Spiller is a max vet, his min is 5x a rooks.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #533
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Wonder how injured TJ Ward is for Denver to go ahead and cut him. If he's able to put in even a good half of a season, then he's got to be the biggest name out there for a contender that needs a S.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #534
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

This explains Stefon McClure making the roster as a 5th safety. Cravens looked like he was making the transition to S really well. Cravens had a concussion last year that is apparently still affecting his vision.

Su'a Cravens of Washington Redskins, 22, pondered retiring

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 09-03-2017 at 10:38 AM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote